Status: Completed: 3rd October 2014

Apartment 4C

Fifteen.

Today was Alfie’s birthday – Jake’s boyfriend would finally be the same age as him. Well, until September when Jake would turn 26. But still, today was a happy day. Jake unfortunately had to work all day, but Alfie had the day off, meaning when Jake got back to their apartment building, he was completely and utterly relaxed and happy.

Which, y’know, made Jake happy. Because Jake was sappy like that.

But Alfie’s birthday wasn’t over just yet.

“This is the best birthday I’ve ever had, you know that right?” Alfie said, smiling at Jake.

The two of them were sitting on Alfie’s sofa, Jake with his legs thrown over Alfie’s lap, arms wound round each other. It was nice, actually. To be this close without being intimate in any way. It was just…nice.

“I’ve only been back from work for half an hour – and I think you’re exaggerating,” Jake mused.

“Nope, not even slightly. Being right here with you is all I want,” Alfie grinned.

Jake snorted, rolling his eyes. “Okay, that’s too mushy, even for me. Get up, we’re going out,”

“What?” Alfie frowned.

“I made dinner reservations,” Jake admitted.

“Wow, you didn’t have to,” Alfie said, surprised.

“I wanted to. And besides, we can’t just stay in your apartment all evening,”

“I wouldn’t complain,” Alfie grinned.

Jake rolled his eyes again, but blushed slightly.

“Go put a nice shirt on. And jeans without holes in. I’ll meet you downstairs when you’re ready,”

Was he being too bossy? Alfie was pretty dominant, he didn’t want him to think he didn’t like it…

But Alfie grinned again. “Yes Sir. See you in 15,”

*

While Alfie was getting ready, Jake ordered them a cab to the Italian restaurant he’d booked the reservations at, before quickly getting ready himself. To be honest, he hadn’t celebrated a birthday with a boyfriend in so long, he’d forgotten how excited (and nervous) it made him. But this was Alfie – everything would be wonderful, as always.

“Wow. This place looks amazing, Jake,” Alfie murmured as they walked into the restaurant hand-in-hand.

“Wait until you taste the food,” Jake said, winking.

Alfie smiled even more, squeezing Jake’s hand.

“Table for two, under Jacob Brown?” Jake told the waiter.

The man nodded, checking his list. “Follow me,”

Jake and Alfie walked over to a small table at the side of the restaurant, Jake not able to take his eyes off Alfie as they sat down. Wow. His boyfriend really was beautiful.

“What are you looking at?”

“You,” Jake said simply.

Alfie blushed slightly but smiled. Well, at least Jake’s staring wasn’t unappreciated.

Speaking of staring, Jake felt eyes on him. Like, burning into him. He tried to ignore it as he scanned over the menu, but he couldn’t. It was so irritating. Sneaking a glance upwards, Jake’s breath hitched in his throat as he saw one of the only people in Chicago he never thought he’d see again. Fuck. Why the fuck was he here? Why tonight?

“Fuck,” Jake muttered.

“What?” Alfie frowned.

Shit. He wasn’t meant to hear that.

“It’s nothing really. Just someone here who I didn’t expect to be,”

Or want to be, not right now.

“Who?” Alfie asked, frowning a little.

Jake sighed. Should he just tell him?

“What’s wrong, Jake?” Alfie prompted.

“I don’t want to ruin your birthday,” Jake murmured.

He really didn’t. And he didn’t know if this would ruin it or not.

“Just tell me,” Alfie mused.

Fuck. The earnest plea in Alfie’s eyes made his decision for him.

“Well, um, my ex is here. The first guy I was ever openly in public with. We went to college together but when I broke up with him for cheating on me, I didn’t see him again, not even in passing. And he’s been staring at us since we got here,” Jake explained.

“Your ex, huh?” Alfie asked, raising an eyebrow.

Jake sighed, running a hand over his head. He really didn’t want to ruin Alfie’s birthday.

“Maybe we should just leave,” Jake suggested.

“No,” Alfie said simply.

“What?” Jake asked, confused.

Alfie wanted to stay here?

“We’re here for us. Who cares if he’s staring?” Alfie said calmly, “Let him look. He’s obviously jealous that I get to be with you instead of him,”

Wow. Just wow.

“He made the mistake of losing the most wonderful, gorgeous, nicest guy in Chicago – he should see what he missed out on,” Alfie added.

“You’re incredible,” was all Jake could say.

Alfie grinned.

“I try,” Alfie said, “Now, I know what I want for starters and main, but are we going to skip dessert and head straight back to mine?”

Jake just blushed. Now that was a nice thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a sweet one :)
Mainly because the next few won't be so sweet.
And by next few I mean...like, the next 6?
Sorry :/

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting! I really appreciate your thoughts and comments, so please keep them coming!

SmallWonders
fiction246
Tattoo
What...

xo