Arrangement With Destiny

Chapter Three

I woke up in a daze as I nervously put my hands up to my head to make sure it wasn’t in the shape of a duck. Once that was settled I lazily got out of bed and walked over to the bathroom that was connected to my room by a single door. My room was very simple and laid back, very uncharacteristic of me. But my mom got to design it except for the color of the walls, which was a light shade of green. The furniture was a light brown that was all matching.
When I got into my bathroom I quickly undressed and hoped into the shower to wash away the strange dreams that I had last night. I knew for one thing that I would never eat sushi before I went to bed! I let the steaming hot water cascade down my body in a fluid unstopping motion. Slowly I reached for my coconut smelling shampoo and conditioner and washed my hair in brisk pace. Then I reached for my matching coconut smelling body wash.
Once done with the process of taking a shower I got out and grabbed my towel rapping it around my body hopping to keep in the warmth of the water. I went back into my room to find something to wear for the day. I settled for a plain brown T-shirt and a pair of jeans. I walked back into the bathroom and brush and blow-dried my hair. Then brushed my teeth swiftly trying not to be late to school.
“Lizebeth, are you ready yet? We don’t want to be late and Mikkal’s already here.” My mother called from downstairs.
“Yeah! So get a move on little lady!” Mikkal called up the stairs. I could here her coming up, well more like running. I just hope she doesn’t fall like she almost always does every time she tries to run up the stairs. Just as I thought that I heard a loud thump echo across the house and an “I’m okay!” as Mikk fell, again.
Just as I was putting my last textbook in my book bag, Mikk slams open the door in such a swift motion that it makes me jump the slightest bit.
“Are you not ready yet?” Mikk asked in a playfully annoyed tone.
“Yes, I’m ready. So are we taking my car or yours?” I asked already knowing the answer.
“Mine of course.” She said a huge smile coming over her face.
“Of course.” I said with a small chuckle.
We walked outside to Mikk’s blue BMW convertible. As I stepped outside I could hear my neighbors stupid dog barking at 6:00 AM.
“Shut up!” Mikk screamed as loud as she was allowed this early in the morning, which wasn’t very loud so it didn’t really help much.
“Just forget about him.”
As we were nearing school I remembered I said I would pick up Shaun and take him to school today.
“Mikk, I forgot, we need to go pick up Shaun!” I told her as loud as I could, having to scream over the wind in the convertible.
“Why in the world should we do that, he is a goofball and no good! I think that is where you get some of your bad habits. If you were wise you would finally listen to me and stop hanging out with that no good-“
“Mikkal! He is still my friend, even if you don’t like him. Now, I made a promise and you are always telling me to make good on my promises so please you don’t even have to talk to him just sit there and I promise I will ask him to be inconspicuous. Okay?” I asked giving the look I knew she would never say no to.
“Fine, but don’t expect me to be nice!” I grinned as Mikk scowled into the windshield.
She took a sharp turn into the direction of Shaun’s house. I always knew that Mikkal didn’t like Shaun, she thought that he was too much of a troublemaker and that he had too big of an influence on me.
We pulled up to Shaun’s house, we waited about three minutes before Mikkal said, “And look, he’s not even out here. I swear if he doesn’t come out this second I’ll-“ She never got to finish her threat because Shaun bonded out of his house and walked up to the car.
“God, you can’t have a manlier car so I did have to let my b-ball buddies see me in this girl mobile?” I rolled my eyes.
“Be nice, she didn’t want to pick you up as it is. Don’t go making fun of her favorite car.” I told him warning him with my eyes.
“Aw, Mikkal I’m deeply hurt. You didn’t want to pick me up and after all I’ve done for you. I have to say I am a little disappointed in you, your suppose to be the nice one.” He mocked with a fake hurt expression.
“What have you done for me, I can think of a couple of things you’ve done to me but never for me.” I looked over at Mikk and the look on her face told me that see was about to go off on Shaun if I didn’t say anything quick.
“Okay, now lets get to school before Mikk rips Shaun’s head off” I said with a nervures laugh knowing that it could happen if the right words were said.
“Okay” Mikkal took two deep breaths before she turned the car around and went toward the school again. The whole way there was silent and it seemed everyone was in there own retrieve. Well, except Shaun, who was trying to balance his pencil on his nose.
I was thinking what I would say to Leonardo when I saw him today in English. What would he say to me? Would he still want to be my friend? I just didn’t know I just hoped he wouldn’t pretend like I didn’t exist. The worst thing you can do to me is to ignore me. That must have been the reason why my stomach did a little flip flop when we finally arrived at school and I saw Leo leaning on the bike racks looking dead at me. The plus was he was smiling that oh so beautiful smile that made my heart do weird things.
I was so happy to see that he wasn’t ignoring me. Mikkal parked right in front of the school.
“Hey there’s that dude you were talking to the other day.” Shaun said as we got out of the car.
“Yea, Leonardo!” Mikkal gave a little giggle. Next thing I saw was Kelly going up and hugging Leo. What was even more surprising was when he hugged her back.
“Um, guys I forgot I have to . . . go see . . . someone. Bye” I said quickly running the opposite direction of where Leo stood with Kelly. As I was walking swiftly toward the cafeteria area I saw Daniel standing and talking with his other buddies from the basketball team.
“Hey Lizzy! Come here!” He shouted the short distance I was from him. As I walked toward him I concentrated in acting myself and not letting Leo and Kelly get to me. I mean after all I did tell him I wasn’t interested.
“Hey Daniel. Hey other boys who I don’t know.” They gave a small chuckle and looked from Daniel to me expecting an introduction. When they didn’t get one I finally said, “I’m Lizbeth Gustavo”
“Oh hey Elizabeth I’m-“ Said the guy to my nearest left.
“No it’s Lizbeth, no e.” I interrupted.
“Oh I’m sorry, Lizbeth. I’m Austin.”
“I’m Devin,” said the tall dark skinned boy standing next to Austin.
“And I’m Ricky” the pale boy on Daniels nearest right.
“Yea well I’ll catch up with you guys later.” I said as I continued my walk toward the cafeteria.
“Oh, I’ll come with you.” Daniel said as he ran up to me. I really wanted to be by myself but I didn’t have the heart to tell him that. He just seemed so excited to see me.
“So how was your evening?” He asked not looking at me.
Um, fine I guess. Of course I had to call Mikkal and tell her everything about Le- I mean laughing.” I said lamely.
“Laughing?” He looked at me like I had four heads.
“Yea, she, um had asked me why people laugh and stuff . . . yea.” I finished quietly “So enough about me. How was practice yesterday?” I asked as we sat down on the outside benches.
“Oh, it went well. Of course coach made us run laps forever” His voice seemed to fade out to me as I started to think about Leo again. How could he go out with Kelly of all people? I mean yea she’s pretty and everything but he should have been able to tell yesterday that I didn’t like her. Does that mean he doesn’t want to be my friend anymore? Well I haven’t even known him for very long, so why does it hurt so much?
“Lizzy? Hello! Are you there?” Daniel asked breaking me out of my retrieve.
“Yea I’m sorry I kind of spaced there. What were we talking about again?” I asked in a daze.
“I had just asked you if you wanted to hang out on Friday. So what do you say?” He said looking nervous. It was so cute; there was no way I could say no to him.
“Yea that would be great!” I said meaning my excitement, it would be good for me to hang out with Daniel for a little while and get stupid Leo out of my head.
“Oh okay well maybe some other time. Wait what? Did you say yes?” He said looking up at me.
“Of course I said yes. You a great guy Daniel. Don’t be so self-conscious.” I looked over at the clock hanging inside of the café.
“Looks like its time to go. I’ll see you around okay?” I said as I started to stand up.
“Okay, great.” He said standing up as well. He leaned over to give me a kiss and this time I didn’t move. His lips were so soft and gentle. It was the sweetest kiss I have ever shared. When we pulled back he had a huge goofy grin on his face. I’m sure I did too.
“Well I’ll see you around some time.” I said still smiling happily.
“Yea” He turned around still in a daze. I couldn’t help but giggle to myself.
I heard the first bell and I knew that if I didn’t hurry up that I was going to be late. I ran to my first class- English- the one I had with Leo.
As I entered the class with just enough time to take my set I saw Leo sitting alone. I forgot Kelly didn’t have this class. He didn’t acknowledge me. I looked to the front of the classroom and saw that our normal teacher, Mrs. Hendershot was not here. In her place was an elderly man who had a gentle look to his eyes. Even now as he looked around the room scowling, I suppose trying to figure out who was going to be his biggest problem today.
As the bell rung all the talking ceased and everyone turned their attention to the front of the room taking in the new victim of their torture.
“Hello class my name is” He turned around to right his name on the board. “Mr. McDowell. And no you may not call me Mac or Mr. M.” He gave a dry chuckle. “Your teacher has left me your lesson plan, and has instructed that you are to read chapter 9 in your books. Then you are to write a front and back page essay on what you read and” He looked down at the papers our teacher had left him “how it made you feel. So get to work.” He sat down at his desk as the morning announcements came on overhead.
“Good morning everyone! I hope you all slept well! We have a huge basketball game after school. Remember you five dollars to get in and come support you fellow classmates!” The principles booming voice shouted over the intercom. “Remember school may not always be fun but it is worth the work in the end. Oh and to congratulate Miss. Mikkal Brendon for the highest grades in school Keep it up and everyone should follow Miss. Brendon’s example. Have a good day everyone and please try to learn something!”
I looked over at Mikk to see her smiling at me in an ‘I told you so’ look. I glared at her.
“Well there you go. Now get back to work, what you don’t finish in class you have to do for homework. She will be collecting it tomorrow for a quiz grade.” Everyone moaned not wanting to do the work but slowly starting to pull out their books. “Okay, don’t tell your teacher but I’ll let you work in groups, okay? But trust me, if it gets too loud you will be working on your own.” The class smiled and sent many “thank you”s his way.
Almost instantly everyone got up to sit with their friends, while others walked over to Mikkal and asked to be her partner. I was too wrapped up in looking at Mikkal’s expression as they all gathered around her, to notice Leonardo sit next to me. He let out a little cough so I would turn around to face him.
“What are you done ignoring me yet?” I asked ice dripping off every word.
“I wasn’t ignoring you. I have just been . . . busy” He said looking away.
“Yea with your girlfriend. I mean I know you don’t know me that well but you could easily tell that I didn’t like her from yesterday. Besides Kelly just likes you because your-“
“Wait! What are you talking about? I’m not dating Kelly! How could you be so ridiculous?”
“Your- your not? But I saw you hugging her this morning.” I said confused.
“She came up to give me a hug. It would have been rude not to return.” He stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
“Oh so your not dating Kelly?” I said.
“Of course not. There is only one girl in this school that I would say yes to. However, she is currently unavailable.” He said sadly looking me dead in the eyes. There was a silence that followed. We just continued to gaze into each other’s eyes.
“Well we should get to work on this essay.” He said finally breaking the bond between us.
“Um, actually, I have already read this chapter.” I said picking up my book.
“Really? Good I read this book last year at my old school and I don’t want to have to read it again!” He said chuckling.
“Oh so we can just get to work then.”
For the rest of the class we worked on our essay. Every once in a while I would find myself just staring at him wondering if he was real or a figment of my imagination.
As we left the class I conquered the courage to ask, “So do you want to hang out after school sometime?”
He looked surprised and I could understand why, “Yeah sure. So what time do you want to meet?” He said in a warming tone.
“Whenever is fine!” I said truly excited, more excited that I was when Daniel asked me out. What is this boy doing to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment so i know if you liked it or not! Thank you.
-Anna