Personal Goals

Chapter 19

*Kellin’s POV*
Needless to say, Vic was successful in turning my birthday around. We had some pretty awesome birthday sex, and he even made me cake afterwards. He was the best.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t really afford anything else,” he apologized over and over again as I ate my piece of cake. I set my spoon down on my plate and reached to place my hand over his.
“I don’t care, this is great,” I assured him. I really meant it, too. “I’m not as shallow as you think I am.”
“I don’t think you’re shallow,” he said, taking our plates and setting them on the coffee table. He scooted closer to me and draped an arm around my shoulders.
“Sure,” I said, rolling my eyes playfully. “Either way, you’ve been the best part of my day.”
“Well that’s not hard,” he said, his eyes falling to that stupid bruise that Matty left on my face. “I swear to God if I ever meet that kid, he’s going to get it.”
“You could take him,” I laughed, as I gripped his bicep in admiration. He just chuckled and shook his head. “Matty’s arms are like limp noodles compared to yours. I mean, look at you, damn.”
“Oh you,” he sighed, still smiling ridiculously. “I mean, I do work out for a living.”
“Yeah you do,” I replied, hoping he caught my innuendo. Judging by the look he gave me I knew he did. I laughed again and leaned over to press my lips to his.
---
Matty was suspended for a while, so I was free of him for about a week or so. As soon as he got back I was afraid he’d start shit, but nothing really happened. I sort of just went on my merry way. I had my sessions with Vic like I normally did, though I took a little more interest in the training aspect of it. Getting hit by Matty made me realize how weak I was and I didn’t want him to take advantage of me again.
“It’s good to see you’re still motivated, I thought it was just a phase,” Vic teased one day. It had been a few weeks since I decided to start trying and I surprised even myself for sticking with it.
“Hey, watch it- I’ll be stronger than you before you know it,” I said, with a wink as we finished stretches.
“I highly doubt that,” he chuckled, crawling over to plant a quick kiss against my lips. It had been almost two months at this point and I couldn’t have been happier in my relationship with Vic. Sure, it was a secret one, and if I wanted to spend time with him on weekends, I had to share his attention with his daughter. It was okay, though. I didn’t mind as long as I got to be with him.
Even though it was meant to be a quick kiss, I placed my hands on the back of his head, holding him to me. He lost his balance and fell over me.
“Clumsy,” I chuckled, as he adjusted his position over me. He rolled his eyes and pecked my nose.
“Sneaky,” he countered before kissing me again. I took it upon myself to deepen the kiss this time as he balanced himself over me. Before I knew it, I was breathing a little heavier and Vic’s body was fully pressed against mine. It didn’t take much for things to heat up between us I guess.
He rocked his hips into mine gently, causing me to let out a small moan. That sensation would never get old to me- feeling him through the thin fabric of his athletic shorts as he rubbed against me. I let my hands trail up and down his sides before slipping them under his cut-off t-shirt. He slipped it off easily and pulled mine off while he was at it. I loved him shirtless- he was just amazingly toned and it was incredibly sexy.
“You’re so fucking hot,” he said in a deep voice before pushing me back down against the mat. I bit my lip, grinning in anticipation as he positioned himself between my legs. I was about to just reach for his shorts and pull them down when something caught my eye behind him.
“Oh fuck,” I gasped, quickly pushing him away. Vic looked confused, but then turned to see what I was seeing- and that was my mother.
She looked like she’d just come downstairs, and was horrified by what she saw. No, this was definitely not good.
“Mom-“
“Don’t,” she hissed, as I scrambled to my feet. I thanked my lucky stars that I wasn’t completely naked. I didn’t think I could go through that trauma again. But in a way this was worse. “I don’t even know what to say to you right now, Kellin.”
I opened my mouth to say something, but I couldn’t think of anything. My heart was breaking, and it was all because of the horrible look she was giving me. She looked disappointed. No. It was more than that. She looked disgusted, aghast, disgraced. I bit my lip as she turned to Vic who was still sitting on the floor, stunned.
“You’re fired,” she snapped, which brought me back to reality as she turned to leave.
“Wait, mom, no-“
“Kellin, I don’t want to talk to you right now,” she said, firmly as she headed back upstairs. This wasn’t happening. This so wasn’t happening.
“Vic needs his job,” I tried to explain to her. I felt awful . . . I felt responsible for this. “Please mom, you can’t fire him.”
“Shut up!” she finally shouted, turning back to me. I was startled by her outburst- terrified actually. My mom had been mad at me plenty of times in my life but she never yelled at me like that. It hurt. “I have tried so hard to be accepting of you but the fact that you’re continuing to go behind my back and have gay sex is-“
“So I’m allowed to be gay but I’m not allowed to have sex with guys?” I blurted out, a little taken aback by her statement. That was so hypocritical.
“You can’t force this on me and your father, Kellin! This is not how we raised you to behave-“
“Oh gee, well-“
“Don’t you dare interrupt me!” she shouted again, striking me across the face. It stung both inside and out. I just stared at her as I lightly touched the skin that she’d just slapped. My mom had also never once laid a hand on me.
“I’m leaving,” I whispered. I wasn’t thinking straight, but I knew that I couldn’t stay in a house where my mom was going to freak out on me like this. Maybe I was over reacting, maybe I wasn’t. I pushed past her and ran upstairs. I took two big bags and stuffed as much shit as I could into each of them. It only partially dawned on me that I would have to give up a lot of my material possessions in order to leave, but I convinced myself that Vic was worth it. Being myself was worth it . . . even if I did have to give up my car.
I ran back downstairs once I was done and placed my bags by the door. Vic’s car was still out front and empty, so I assumed he was still downstairs. I hurried down, trying to avoid my mom at all costs. I found him where I left him, but this time he was on the phone.
“Yeah, I’ll be right there,” he said, quietly, before hanging up the phone. He looked up at me with sad eyes. Was something else wrong?
“What’s wrong?” I wanted to know.
“I just received a call from a social worker,” he said, quietly. “Jenna got pulled over for reckless driving and tested positive for a few different drugs- while Jess was in the car.”
“What does that mean?” I asked, cautiously. Surely Jess was okay. I suspected he’d be a lot more upset if she wasn’t.
“It means they’re probably going to take her away from Jenna and give me full custody,” he said, looking down. Normally he would have been happy, but I knew why he wasn’t. He’d just lost the one job that kept him financially stable.
And it was all my fault.