Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Or Ever Again

Jonny and I showed up at the restaurant… only a few minutes late… Like 10. That’s not too bad. Right? No one said anything about it though, so I was assuming that’s not too late. But Patrick and Katie seemed way too wrapped up in each other to even notice we weren’t there to begin with.

Once we settled in, chatter of the Cup quickly took over the conversation… of course. The days leading up to our wedding, Jonny was going to be on a media frenzy along with Patrick and the rest of the team. I was glad we could share this night of calm before they boys got off in their whirlwind of hockey.

Other than talking about the sweet victory, no one seemed to have anything else to say about anything. It was… odd. If we weren’t talking about the big win, then it was dead silent. This never happens… especially when Kaner’s around!

“… Is something wrong?” I finally asked, glancing between Katie and Patrick.

“Why would anything be wrong?” Patrick was the one to answer.

“Because you’re quiet,” I bluntly stated.

“What? No,” he was quick to reply… and I knew it obviously wasn’t him that was putting out the awkward vibes. I slowly let my eyes scan over to my sister. She flashed off a slightly nervous smile and then I knew!

“What is it?” I asked her.

“It’s nothing,” she dropped her gaze from me and began to stir her straw in her drink.

“It’s something. What is it?” I pressed on.

“Ky, I don’t… want to ruin anything…” she sighed.

“You’re not ruining anything. What is it?” I got a little… testy. After I spoke, Jonny moved his hand under the table to put his hand on my knee in attempts to calm me… I would assume.

“I just… could be… deployed soon,” she muttered, keeping her eyes fixed on the table.

I looked at her, trying to make sure that I heard her right. Did she say… what I think she did? No… I heard her wrong. I had to…

“… What?” I finally spoke.

“If I get the call, I have to… go,” she spoke softly.

I was speechless. I thought all of this was over. She has a normal life now and this throws a wrench into everything. I suddenly… couldn’t breathe. I had flashbacks of the first time she told everyone that she had to leave… and it broke my heart. But I couldn’t tell her this or let it show.

“But you haven’t gotten the call yet… right?” came out of me.

“No,” she answered.

“Well, then we don’t have to worry about it until it happens,” I put on a smile.

“That’s what I said!” Patrick was quick to step in.

“No one listens to you anyway though,” I countered, causing Jonny to erupt in a fit of laughter. Patrick glared across the table at him… which made Katie and I laugh.

This seemed to lighten the mood quite a bit. Everyone appeared to be a little more talkative after this. No one mentioned… what Katie had brought up. However, conversation seemed to flow a little more fluently than it was before. Most importantly though, Katie’s smile seemed to be genuine.

Once dinner was over though, Jonny and I went back to the apartment… and I felt exhausted. I walked straight into the bedroom, kicked my heels off, and collapsed onto the bed. It took him a few moments, but Jonny eventually crawled up next to me. Instead of letting me curl up against him, he began to kiss along my neck.

“Jonny,” I huffed and pushed against his chest.

“Babe!” he groaned much like he did before we left.

“I’m tired,” I sighed

“No, you’re not. You’re upset…” he corrected me.

“I’m fine,” I let the corners of my lips curl into a small smile.

“No, you’re not,” he replied as his hands grabbed at my waist and rolled over onto his back, taking me with him so that I was now straddling his lap.

I huffed once more and brought my hands up to rest on his toned chest… that was nearly perfectly outlined in his snug shirt. If I wasn’t so upset, this shirt would have been ripped off when we walked through the door…

“I knew when she told you that you were going to be upset…” he added, letting his fingertips gently brush along the skin of my thigh that my dress didn’t cover.

“I don’t want it to happen,” I confessed to him.

“No one wants it to happen. It might though, so you have to prepare yourself for that,” he had a much softer tone… but his palms were rubbing up and along my thighs now, taking my dress up each time he did it.

He went on to say more along those lines of this subject. I saw his lips moving, but everything got meshed into one sound that I couldn’t concentrate on. His hands just kept moving to different parts of my legs to rub at. I could barely remember what he was talking about. All I knew is that my hands grabbed at his shirt to pull myself down to connect our lips. That shut him up… Yeah, I was upset about what was talked about over dinner… but I didn’t want to talk about it anymore… or ever again.
♠ ♠ ♠
... I passed out right after the Blue Jackets' game last night so I didn't get a chance to write... I'm so lame lol