Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Are You Crazy?

Once I zipped my dress up, I couldn’t keep a sigh from coming out of me. Tonight could be rough. While I touched up my makeup, a pair of arms coiled around my middle. Gently, they pulled me back against the solid frame. While another heavy breath came out of me, a pair of thin lips pressed against my jaw.

“Why are you stressing out about this so much?” Jon asked through a small chuckle while his chin cradled my shoulder. “It’s just dinner with your sister.”

“… And Patrick,” I turned around to look at him.

“So?” he tried to fight off his smile. After I stared him down for a few seconds, he finally let his full grin come through.

“Did you invite him with the intention of them hooking up?” I crossed my arms now, trying to get my point across.

“He just…” he trailed off and dropped his dark gaze to the floor while bringing his hand up to rub at the back of his neck, “I said… your sister was in town and we’d probably be doing dinner or something… And he said he’d… like to meet her,” he finally came out with it.

“Oh my god,” I groaned and rubbed my hands over my face.

“It’ll be fine,” he tried to assure me.

“I hope so, Jonny,” I shook my head.

“Just think…” he started while I followed him out of the bathroom. “You and your sister can talk all about it while dress shopping,” he went on as I slid my feet into my shoes.

Dress shopping? For us to go dress shopping, I need to know when the wedding is. We’ve been over this more than enough times though. I wasn’t about to bring it up and start a fight right before we needed to be somewhere.

“Yeah…” was all I said in reply.

One of the corners of his lips curled into a small smile before he nodded his head, accepting my reply. We left before either of us could further this subject that’s become so touchy for the two of us.

From this moment, I thought the drive to meet up with Katie and Patrick would be a bit awkward between us. Once we got moving though, Jon reached over and took my hand. His pudgy fingers laced between mine and let our hands rest in my lap as he drove. It was such a small, cute action, but it made me feel all giddy on the inside.

“Do you think your sister’s adjusting well to being back in the States?” he asked when we came to a stop at a red light.

“She’s only been back for a few days. I think it’s hard to tell,” I was honest with him. I see people like her on a daily basis at the place I intern at. It’s a psychiatrist’s office that specializes in post-traumatic stress disorders. From what I’ve seen, she’s fine, but… only time will tell.

“If she ever needs to stay over for any reason, she can,” he added.

“Aw, that’s sweet of you,” I cooed at his gesture.

“I know you worry about her a lot.”

“I think that’s why I’m so uneasy about tonight. I don’t think her mingling with guys is the greatest thing for her right now,” I huffed and looked at the window as he drove on.

“She’s not mingling… Maybe she’ll make a new friend,” was his come back. I nodded my head, leaving it at that. It’s my sister I was worried about…

Once we got to the restaurant, we found the two of them at the bar. Each of them looked to have a drink in them already. Katie’s cheeks were flushed a bit, but that could be from the lights making her warm right? Definitely not because she was talking to Patrick or the alcohol that was pulsing through her body.

“Nice to see you met Patrick already,” Jonny spoke first.

“You’re… You’re Kylee’s sister?” Kaner looked between Katie and I a few times; his eyes wide with disbelief.

“People used to call us twins back in the day…” I had to poke.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” he looked at Katie and cracked a smile.

“How was I supposed to know you were here to meet them?!” Katie gave it right back to him.

“Well, now that the gang’s all here, lets go get our table,” Jon stepped in, cupping a hand around each of their shoulders. I don’t really know if I was looking into it too much, but Katie flinched and hurried to get to her feet; out of reach of Jon’s hand once he did that.

Regardless, we were seated and a round of drinks were the first to be ordered. Throughout the night, I kept an eye on Katie and noticed that she had a few straight whiskeys. It seemed like the more Patrick talked to her… the more she would sip.

“You doing ok?” I finally broke and asked her once we were through eating.

“Fine,” she waved me off.

“I think someone needs a DD,” Patrick butted in.

“Pfsh, I’m fine,” she did the same to him.

“I’ll take you home,” I said through a giggle.

“No, no, no. You and Jon go ahead and go home. I’ll take care of her,” Patrick said like I wouldn’t protest this idea.

“Um… No,” I hardened my expression towards him.

“I think Kaner’s got this, Ky,” Jon sided with his teammate and began to slide out of the booth.

“What?” I looked at him wide eyed.

“Come on,” he said and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the other two.

I tried to shake my hand loose the whole way out of the restaurant to go back to them. He wouldn’t let go until we were out on the sidewalk, waiting for his car to be brought back.

“Are you crazy?” I asked him.

“Just see what happens. He won’t let anything happen to her,” he tired to convince me while putting an arm around my shoulders. “Besides, she was having a good time with him.”

“She’s drinking a lot while she’s with him…” I muttered.

“She’ll call you in the morning and tell you what a great time she had and can’t wait to do it again,” he put on a sly smile.

A huff came out me as I leaned into his side. His warm hand came up and rubbed at my arm. I was trusting Patrick Kane with my sister right now… If he does anything to make me distrust him, I will make sure someone’s season comes to an end early…
♠ ♠ ♠
Kylee

Comment??