Status: Completed!

Last Seen in San Diego.

Chapter 2

The next morning was the same routine. My mother had woken me up at 6, I took a quick shower and got dressed. Kailey took a little bit longer than usual, but then again she is a teenage girl. Hell, sometimes I even take longer than I’m supposed to. She walked down the stairs, her hair straightened instead of curly, except this time she was wearing one of my band shirts. I didn’t mind like other siblings would, as long as she washed and returned it, there was no problem. We ate a quick breakfast before heading out, meeting up with Tay and her brother.

“Hey Daniel!” Kailey said, giving her new friend a hug. He hugged back and then they were off into their own conversation. My gaze fell on Tay and I noticed she looked, not like herself.

“Whoa Tay are you okay?” I ask her. She looked like a zombie, if not worse. I was hoping that it was only because it was morning and all the life was drained out of her. I was wrong.

“I didn’t get that much sleep last night.” She told me. I didn’t want to be nosey but I kind of wanted to know why, so I asked. “My parents were fighting again, it was worse than the other fight’s they’ve had before.” She tried to continue but I cut her off, I sensed she wasn’t in the mood to talk about it. I stopped her in her tracks and turned her towards me.

“Hey, look you don’t have to tell me everything right now. I know things may seem bad but I want you to keep your head up. It will only stress you out more. If you ever feel that it gets really bad then you can come over. I don’t care what time it is, just text or call me before hand alright?” I told her, taking her phone from her hand and putting my number in it.

“You really are something Quinn, Thank you.” She told me before hugging me.

“No problem, now let’s go before we’re late.” The walk to school was spent talking about our common taste in music and how she thinks her brother has a little crush on Kailey. We laughed about it before it clicked in my mind, maybe Kailey’s developing her first crush too. We got to school just in time and headed our separate ways. I had English first, so I walked up to the third floor and went straight to class. I walked through the door and up to the teachers desk. I told her that I was the new kid in school, she nodded and pointed to the row of chairs behind me. I ignored all the stares from the people who didn’t see me yesterday and sat down next to Jesse. Apparently this school wasn’t like my old one in terms of English class, in my old school we usually had to write an essay every month or two about some book we’ve read. But here, we have to have our own short story written every month. Each month has to be either a new story or a continuation from the previous one. I loved that idea because I had quite the imagination on me, it was a deep and weird imagination but it was good. The teacher, Ms. Jackson, allowed us to work on our stories during class. My mind roamed with so many ideas, but it was hard to just choose one. If I’m going to write about it then I might as well pick a really

“Hey, what are you going to write about?” Jesse asked me. I just shrugged in response.

“I’m not sure yet, can’t really choose anything. What about you?” I asked him. He smirked as he handed me his paper. Scribbled all over it were a bunch of really good ideas, there was one circled which is the one he decided to write about. ‘A story about unrequited love. The boy does anything to win her love but nothing works. No one could compare to her, no one makes his heart flutter like she does. It’s not until he’s gone that she realizes what a bitch she is.’ The story line was great, I just couldn’t help but chuckle at the last line. Typical immature Jesse. “Never pictured you as the romantic type Romeo Dawson.” I joked with him, he scowled at me.

“Hey! fuck you. The Titanic and Romeo & Juliet were amazing movies! They inspired me.” He muttered under his breath which only resulted in me laughing more. “So did my ideas motivate you in anyway?” He asked me, but I shook my head no. They were good ideas but I wouldn’t want to take credit for them. “Don’t worry man, they will come to you.” He told me, little did I know that he was correct.

We were sitting in History bored out of our fucking minds. It wasn’t the teacher that was boring, it was the lesson and all of the work. You can tell Mr.Sanders was trying his best to keep the class entertained but his attempts were failing. There was seriously nothing that excited teenagers in History. We were currently learning about the Holocaust, but there was one thing the teacher had told me that stuck out to me the most. He was telling us about this lady he volunteered for when he was in college, she was Jewish and her husband was European. He told us about their love story, how it was forbidden for them to be together because of how things were during that time. He told us how they didn’t care what anyone else thought, even if it was in secret it was still love. One day his parent’s found out about his lover, they had her kidnapped and hidden from him. The boy never stopped looking for her, he never lost hope. After World War 2, he was able to find her. It took one hell of a search but she was in his arms again. They moved to America before anyone dared to separate them again. I zoned out when he started talking about the lesson again. Staring into thin air, my story flashes before my eyes. ‘Girl gets kidnapped, her boyfriend never gives up looking for her. He finds her facing death but maybe has the chance to save her.’ Mr.Sanders story inspired me, I’m just going to change the whole ‘kidnapped because of races.’ I’ll just let Mr.Sanders know I’m writing it so it won’t seem like I’m stealing his idea. I didn’t pay attention for the rest of class, and I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of the bell. I was glad that lunch was next and by the sound of it, my stomach agreed with me. I walked with Jesse into the cafeteria where we took our regular seats as we waited for the rest of the crew to come along. As the seats started to fill with my new found friends, various complaints filled my ears. This was something they always did apparently, they would complain about their morning classes and what happened in them. I laughed at them before going to get lunch It was already my second day here and I feel welcomed here. We carried on with our random conversations until Jesse brought up the english writing prompts.

“So what are you guys going to write about for your story this year?” He asked to no one in particular. Tay was the first to speak up. My eyes were gazing over her features, she looked better than this morning. It wasn’t even her looks that changed it, it couldn’t have been since she still had bags under her eyes along with her pale skin. The way her lips moved out of the way to show her toothy smile is what made her seem perfectly fine. Everyone shared their ideas for their stories, they were all spread genres. Romance, action, horror, and comedy. Their ideas were all really good, to be honest I didn’t expect them all to have creative minds. No offense to them but they seem to not take anything seriously. Well some of them, that is. Anyways the attention was soon brought on me when Jesse asked if I finally figured out an idea for my story.

"Yeah, I've decided to make a story sort of based on the story Mr.Sanders told us in class. a girl gets kidnapped, her boyfriend never gives up looking for her. He finds her facing death but maybe has the chance to save her.” I tell them, they all nod well all but Tay who said it was a great idea.

“If you want some inspiration, you can go to the local library. There’s been some kidnappings in this town. You can probably use those sources to help you.” Jaime told me, looking around the lunchroom. “Guys have you seen Mike?” He asked, his eyes gazing back over to us.

“Nope, he hasn’t been answering any of my calls or texts either.” Tony spoke up.

“Guys give him some space, he’s probably just grieving. This is the month you know.” Tay spoke up, earning a bunch of sad glances and ‘oh’s’. I felt odd though, being the only one left out of the situation.

“The month?” I asked curiously, a bit startled that as soon as the words slipped out of my mouth, all eyes shot up at me. “Sorry.” I whispered, feeling completely awkward again.

“No it’s okay, we kinda forgot that you’re new here.” Justin reassured me. I nodded, waiting for one of them to just tell me already.

“Mike has a brother who was taken almost two year ago. He hasn’t been found since. The police stopped looking, Mike refuses to believe he’s dead. Sometime this month will make an exact year that he’s been missing.” Tay whispered quietly, putting her head down. “Mike he was-” she stopped, her voice cracking a bit.

“Mike wasn’t the same after that. After awhile he tried to put on a fake act. You know the usual fake smiles, small chuckles after a joke was told. Then there were some days where he didn’t even try to be happy. Can anyone really blame him though, I would be the same way.” Tony finished for Tay. The news was truly heart breaking, I couldn’t ever imagine having Kailey taken away from me by some sick bastard.

“Maybe we should go check on him later?” I suggested, they were thinking about before shaking their heads no.

“Let’s give him a day or two, knowing Mike it wouldn’t be best to bother him right now.” Justin told us all. Jesse’s mouth opened but the only noise that came out was the sound of the bell, signalling that lunch was over. “Let’s go Kells.” He called out to me. The walk to music was quite and honestly I didn’t like it one bit.

“Hey Jess, you okay?” I asked once we were seated in our usual seats.

“You don’t think Mike did something stupid do you? Do you think he’s okay?” He blurted out way too quickly, luckily I understood each word.

“Whoa Jesse, calm down. I’m sure Mike’s fine. I don’t know him at all so I can’t promise you anything but he’s probably to upset to come to school. Call him later and see if he answers, he’ll be okay.” I tried comforting him, I think it worked since he seemed to relax a bit. I don’t know who Mike is, but I sure as hell hope he is okay. The day went by fairly quickly, some people still moping around from the conversation we had earlier at lunch. I didn’t complain though, Mike was their friend and I would probably be the same way if I was able to meet the guy. I was currently waiting for Tay and Daniel outside so we could walk home together but after waiting about 30 minutes or so, they never showed up.

“Come on, Kay let’s go.” I said, walking away from the school. I decided to stop by the library to see if I can get more information on the kidnappings for my story. It was a small library, I doubt many people even come here anymore. It looked like any typical library, various bookcases filled with different genres. I remember back in Michigan I used to go to the library and read about murders and things related to that topic. I guess you could say my dad's death affected me in a weird way. I wouldn't grieve as much, just be curious about it, try to find out about it. Being the naive little kid I was, I thought I could do something about it. I was wrong of course. I asked the lady at the counter for any records they had of the kidnappings in this town. She was a bit skeptical about letting me borrow the portfolio but after I explained my story to her and how I wanted it to seem sort of realistic, she let me check it out. It didn’t take long to walk home from the library, but walking into the house surprised me. Sobbing filled the house, echoing off the walls. “Mom!?” I called out, worried that something happened to her. I rushed through the house ,finding the source of crying. I motioned for Kailey to go meet me in my room to which she obeyed without a fight. “Um what’s going on?” I asked warily, slowly walking into the living room. I lowered myself down to the seat next to my mom.

“Honey this is Linda Jardine, she lives next door.” I nod, holding my hand out to greet her to which she shakes it slowly. Giving me a small weak smile. My mom and Linda shared glances before looking back at me. “Kellin, you don’t happen to be friends with Taylor are you?” She asked me, Linda having a hopeful look in her eye.

“Tay? Yeah me and her got really close these past two days, why? Did something happen to her? Is she okay?” The questions fly off of my tongue in a hurry, my heartbeat was thumping against my chest.

“Do you happen to know where she is?” Linda asked me, wiping away the tears in her eyes.

“No, I’m sorry. My sister and I waited for her and her brother after school but they never showed up. We were hoping she had left early-”

“No no she did, we picked up her and Daniel early but Taylor and I got into a little argument and she stormed out. She hasn’t been back since.” She sighed, I could only imagine how she’s feeling.

“Don’t worry Ms.Jardine, she’ll show up soon. If it makes you feel any better, when I’m done with my work I’ll go out with Kailey and Daniel to go look for her. For now though, I think you should go home and rest. I’ll inform my mom if anything okay?” She nodded, whispering a quick thank you before walking out.

“Poor woman, I don’t know what I would do if I were in her situation. A mother can do nothing but worry about the safety of their child. Now hurry, go finish you work.” She told me, I nodded and ran to my room. My hand touched the gold knob but never turned it. I heard various whispers, it sounded as if Kailey was talking to someone, and I knew exactly who it was. The door flew open, revealing my ‘missing’ friend on my bed next to my sister. I was getting ready to yell at her, but when my eyes gazed over her purple marks, I was lost for words.

“Tay..who did this to you?” I whisper, walking over to her and pulling her into my embrace. She winced at the pain before relaxing into my arms.

“I don’t know.” She mumbled into my chest. How does she not know? Or maybe she just doesn’t want to tell me.

“Tay, you better tell me who did this or-” I sternly say before being interrupted.

“Kellin she doesn’t know, she’s couldn’t see his face.” Kailey blurted out. My eyes darted towards my sister, she mentally apologized to me. I motioned for her to close the door before focusing on Tay.

“Tell me everything.” I whisper to her.

“I had gotten into an argument with my mom, I had told her that she should leave my dad. He’s not good for us, lately he’s been coming home drunk and the fights get worse every night. She let us leave early today because she was afraid of what he would do when he got home from the job he now doesn’t have anymore. He won’t be able to support us, he doesn’t care about us anymore. She refused to listen to me! We continued to yell at each other until I called her a ‘selfish bitch’ to which she slapped me. The first time in my whole life, she laid a hand on me. After that I stormed out of the house.” She sighed, putting her head down. Although from what it sounds like, The Jardine’s shouldn’t be together for their safety but Tay should’ve just stayed out of their business.

“Okay, so that was one slap. Care to explain the bruises on your arm and your busted lip?” I asked her, her eyes met mine, a small tear falling down her face.

“Before I came here, I was in the park letting everything out. A man came up to me asking me if I was okay, if I needed a ride home. I told him I was fine, but he kept on insisting. I tried to walk away but then he grabbed me and I was too vulnerable to fight back. But somehow I managed to get free from his grip and I ran home- well here.” She finished. By this time, she had her head on my lap and I was playing with the strands of her hair. Kailey was sitting on the floor, gathering the makeup to hide Tay’s bruises. I couldn’t believe people in the world sometimes it was sickening. “Thank you Kells. You know I love you right?” I froze up. “Like a brother of course, I respect your gayness plus I have my eyes on someone else.” She joked.

“I love ya too Tay, but before I pester you about who this person is. I think we should get you home.” I told her, she nodded following me down the stairs and past my mom who was reading on the couch.

“Taylor, how’d you get in here?” My mom’s voice stopped us from our escape.

“I uh, I kinda may have sneaked through Kellin’s window. I’m sorry Ms.Quinn, I just really needed to talk to him and I didn’t want my mom to know I was here.” Tay explained quickly. Luckily my mom was an understanding person and let it slip this time, but she also told us it would not be happening again. The walk to Tay's house was filled with constant reminders that she could come to me whenever, to try to stay strong and other stuff along the lines of that. She entered the house slowly, thanking me once again before closing the door behind her. When I got home, Kailey and I finished our main homework before she left to go to sleep. Me on the other hand, I stood up a little bit later looking over these reports. There were 5 in total, four boys and one girl. I picked up the first report and started reading through it.

Jenna McDougall, Age 17.
Last seen walking to school at 8 in the morning.
Description: Blonde hair, Brown eyes, about 5'6, silver nose piercing.
Missing since April 09'


The picture they used was one of her on the holidays, she was beautiful no doubt about that. She was kidnapped a year ago, hasn't been seen since. It says in the article that she lived around my neighborhood, but didn't specify what school she went to. I picked up the next one, starting off with the boys.

Oliver Sykes, Age 17
Last seen around Mcgregors park around noon.
Description: Dark brown hair, Brown eyes, Lanky figure, various tattoos, about 6’
Missing since March 09'


'Wait wasn't Mcgregors park is the same park Tay said she was attacked at?' I thought to myself. I shrugged it off and continued reading the reports.

Jack Barakat, Age 16
Last seen walking through Mcgregors park around midnight with his boyfriend Alex.
Description: Dark brown hair with a blonde fringe, brown eyes, jack skellington tattoo on his chest, about 6’
Missing since November 09'


Alex Gaskarth, Age 17
Last seen walking through Mcgregors park around midnight with his boyfriend Jack.
Description: Light hair, brown eyes, Rose tattoo on his hand, skeleton tattoo on his arm and a skull with crossbones under his ear, about 6’2
Missing since November '09


Apparently the story between the couple was that they weren't kidnapped, the parents believed they ran away from home because their guardians didn't respect their relationship.
That angered me just a bit. Your child couldve been kept in an abandoned house somewhere, being tortured against his will. But instead of caring, you think it was some rebel attempt for attention. I wouldn't dare imagine being in their shoes. My mom and Kailey are all I have left, I couldnt imagine having them against me because I was gay.

Victor Fuentes, Age 17
Last seen walking home from his school, Clairemont High.
Description: Shoulder length brown hair, brown eyes, about 5’6, silver nose piercing.
Missing since February 09’


This boy caught my attention the most. He was breath taking, he looked like the shy type, but still foolish. The picture showed him smiling with someone else with a bunch of tattoo’s most likely his brother since they shared similar features. This boy intrigued me, although he may not even be alive now. I finished writing the small notes about people, and even some of my own thoughts before calling it a night. I climbed into bed, dozing off with the mysterious boy on my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay this was supposed to be uploaded yesterday but I kind of fell asleep! Sorry >.< Okay so I promise next chapter is where things start happening a bit, these were just a background to the story to get you used to the story I guess. Okay I'll shush now.

Comments so far? I love you guys c:

~Lissyc: