Status: Complete

A Case of Unknown Identity

Step Two: Talk to Him More Even When You Probably Shouldn’t

If Gerard’s mother could’ve seen the dreams he’d had last night then she would have to buy some heavy duty soap to even begin cleaning up his dirty mind. It’s amazing how imaginative Gerard can be without any experience on the subject.

Frank wakes up excitedly to see that he’s got a new text which simply says, “good morning.” His first instinct is to grin like an idiot, and the smile doesn’t fade throughout his entire morning routine.

He takes a shower and the smile is there, then gets dressed, and brushes his teeth and still there’s a smile. It’s actually quite useful for the teeth brushing. His mom looks at him a bit funnily at the look at breakfast. Nothing can tarnish it though.

He walks to school with a little bounce in his step and when he gets there his face falters a bit to see Alvin and his comrades walking towards him but when they get near to him, they just keep walking. That may have been the strangest thing to have ever happened. He looks back at the three of them to catch the red head looking back at him. When Theodore sees him however he quickly turns away and pretends he hadn’t looked in the first place, which of course doesn’t mean Frank didn’t notice. Why was Theodore staring at him?

Mikey looks at him throughout the duration of art like he’s completely insane. It is a pretty weird thing for a Tuesday morning during a lesson about the color violet.

“Did you have a bad experience with plastic surgery or are you just really into those different shades of purple?” Patrick asks.

“What?” He asks, and his eyes widen as he realizes he’s still smiling like an idiot, “No, I’m just in a good mood.”

“Well purple can have that effect on you,” Mikey says looking at him snootily.

“Can’t a guy be happy without being reprimanded?” Frank asks, but still the smile doesn’t fade he just hides it under his hand a little bit.

Patrick’s eyes roll in a way that says, ‘okay whatever’ without the words needing to be spoken.

“Apparently not you, because you look like you’re tripping on something more heavenly than ambrosia,” Mikey says.

“What’s up anyway?” Patrick asks, and Frank avoids eye contact.

“He looks like he got lucky last night,“ Pete says.

Frank snaps his head back into attention at that and says, “No!”

Mr. Katzenmeyer looks his way but Frank pretends not to have said or done anything until he carries on with his lesson.

“I’m just in a good mood, okay?” Frank replies, feeling a little embarrassed but no less gleeful.

“Riiiiiiiiiight,” Patrick says and Mikey snorts, then looks away from Frank to hide a smile, so that Frank’s sure Mikey wants to laugh at him and he’s having an extremely hard time not doing so.

“Fuck all of you,” Frank says shaking his head, and turning to look at Mr. Katzenmeyer’s demonstration for something or other.

Gerard isn’t really doing much better. His mind keeps wondering in places that could provide very uncomfortable should he need to stand up, so he has to keep sending those thoughts away which means he actually has to focus on the lecture his teacher is giving, which he’d really rather not do.

Finally it gets to be too much and he has to talk to Frank. He wishes he could hear the sound of his voice too, but unfortunately that’s not an option.

It takes a while for Frank to reply back, and by a while it just takes him until the end of third period, right before lunch.

Unfortunately for Gerard, because he’s apparently a complete idiot, he left the volume on his cell phone up. Up high.

“Mr. Way!” His stern teacher asks, with an annoyed look on her face.

“Yes?” he asks, knowing he’s in trouble but giving his best guiltless look anyway.

“Is there a boat arriving or is your phone going off?”

“Um it was kind of misty out today so I’d say a boat coming in isn’t completely off the table,” he answers, being a little smart ass and probably getting himself into more trouble.

“That’s an afterschool detention Mr. Way,” she says, and writes up a pink slip for him, which is never the slip you want to be written up for you. She walks over to him and gives him the small piece of paper while kids around him smirk at his dumb expression, but the bell rings a moment later so he rushes hurriedly out of the room not looking forward to the event after school.

He walks down the hallway to his locker and shoves the books into it before grabbing the little paper bag he carries his lunch in. He checks the slip absently. At least it’s with the art teacher, who sort of likes him. Not the fundamentals of art teacher who hates everything with a pulse other than himself. Detention is held by different teachers from day to day and while Gerard hasn’t had enough to say he knows who the best teachers to have are, at least he doesn’t have his math teacher.

He trudges down to the side of the building where, if he’s correct, Lucas and Trevor should be hiding behind the dumpster getting high. He finds them and warns them that a teacher is coming, even though there isn’t one coming, he’s just not in the mood to have to smell the fumes of weed.

The three of them walk into the cafeteria and after a few minutes Gerard almost giggles when Frank texts him. He’s really cute without needing to try, and even in word from Gerard can picture the words rolling of his tongue like honey.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter is called "Step Three: Try Not To Rip His Fucking Heart Out" so I'll let you digest that hint as you see fit.