Status: In Progress

Childhood Sweethearts

Chapter Two: Reunion

-Samantha.
I smoothed out my dress and looked at myself in the rearview mirror. I sighed as I eyed the door to the restaurant menacingly. I've been sitting in my car in the parking lot for ten minutes or so, dreading to go inside. Cesc was going to be in there, that was definitely confirmed as he sent out a tweet a few minutes ago.

My mother had told me that Cesc was going to be having a football game tonight, but obviously that was just a lie to get me to come. After a while, I decided I was being silly and opened the door to the car, grabbing my bag and walking towards the restaurant.

I pushed the door open and almost immediately, a waitress walked over to me.

"Hola! Private table or are you with Ms. Emily Ramirez?" she chirped happily, checking her clipboard. "Uh, I'm with Emily." I replied, smiling as I thought about my old friend, Emily. Maybe it was a good choice that I came here. I told myself that I came here to enjoy some time with my friends and not for Cesc or anything like that.

"Okay, follow me!" the waitress smiled, leading me to a private room at the end of the restaurant. She opened the door and led me inside. "Gracias."

Everybody stopped talking when they heard my voice. Suddenly, they all started bursting out in cheers, standing up to envelop me in individual hugs. "How are you?" I heard Aaron, one of my best friends, whisper into my ear.

We still kept in touch after all these years. He was always hanging out with Cesc and I in high school. It was still the same now…minus Cesc, of course. "I've been great, Aaron. Thank you! How are you?" I asked. We were still standing up while everyone had already sat down.

"Sit down across from me, would you?" he smiled. I nodded and moved to sit down in front of him and beside Emily. "How are you guys?" I asked the both of them.

Emily was the head cheerleader in our school but she defied the stereotype. She got a scholarship to study in a University in England and she was currently working in a law firm.

"I'm really good!" Emily giggled, "I'm actually expecting." she blushed, placing a hand on her stomach. "Really? That's amazing!" I grinned, hugging her. I turned towards Aaron who was looking nervously at his phone.

"What's up, Aaron?" I asked with a small smile as I sipped the water in my glass. He looked up at me, his eyes wide. "Um…nothing. It's fine. How's life?" he asked me again, trying to pay attention to what I was saying but always checking his phone screen which was lighting up once every two seconds.

"Aaron, just check the damn phone." I chuckled.

"Hola, sorry I'm late." A familiar voice said, interrupting my small conversation with Aaron and Emily. "Cesc!" everyone chorused in together. They all stood up to give him hugs, just like they did with me. He returned everyone's smile and hugged everyone back.

He looked so happy with that huge smile on his face…until his eyes landed on mine. He dropped his smile and looked anywhere but at me. Aaron dragged him to sit beside him, meaning he was pretty much in front of me.

I cleared my throat and grabbed my bag, "I'm going to the bathroom." I mumbled, standing up and heading towards the bathroom.

-Cesc.
My eyes widened as I stared at Samantha. She was so much more beautiful in person. I can't believe I've missed so much. She was wearing a dress that fit her curves perfectly, her hair was in its natural curls that I loved and she was wearing a little to no makeup which showed her natural beauty.

She definitely fit her title as a model.

Aaron sat down and I sat down next to him, unable to meet Samantha's eyes. "I'm going to the bathroom." she mumbled.

She walked away from the private room and off to the bathroom, Emily looking at her leave concernedly.

Almost everyone knew that the two of us broke apart a few years ago, and we haven't talked since. It hurt me to think that she was still holding a grudge over me. I couldn't have my best friend hating me. Through all the people I've met, and all the relationships I've been in, she's the only one that I really wanted to have with me.

"Aw, man. She's still got it bad, I guess." Aaron whispered.

I frowned and bit my lip, turning towards him. Aaron was one of the only people who knew that I had a thing for Samantha. And the truth was that after graduation, we had a small summer fling. I guess it was perfect, I finally got her and I guess she finally got me. But it all fell apart when Arsenal wanted me. We kept our thing going for a while until I broke it off with her, saying that I needed to focus on football and we just stopped talking altogether.

"I guess so." I replied, sighing.

-Samantha.
"Get it together, Sam." I told myself repeatedly, running a panicked hand through my hair. I took a deep breath before turning on my heel and pushing the door to the bathroom open.

I walked back towards the room and sat down in my spot, plastering a huge smile on my face and ignoring Cesc's stare and continuing to talk to Emily and Aaron.

"I can't believe you're a model now! When I'm in the mall, I turn and I just see your face plastered in every shop." Emily joked. I giggled and Aaron pitched in, starting to talk about other models and how 'hot' they were, making me roll my eyes at him.

The reunion actually flew by quickly. I didn't pay much attention to Cesc who was talking about his own footballing career.

"It was great seeing you all again." I smiled, waving to everyone who came to the reunion. I gave Emily a hug and waved at Aaron, but didn't even bother making eye contact with Cesc.

Maybe I was just being silly? Maybe we should talk and settle this like adults and stop avoiding each other like kids. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I walked towards my car.

"Sam," I heard that all-too familiar voice. I took a deep breath, not wanting to turn around. "Sam, please."

I bit my lip and turned around, meeting those warm brown eyes.

"Hi…" I muttered.

"Hola." he replied, a small nervous smile on his face. "Can we talk?" he asked.

I looked down at my hands, not wanting to meet his eyes. "Okay."

I leaned against the car door, looking at him and realising just how much I missed him. "I'm so sorry that I didn't call you. I'm so sorry I…broke it off like that. I'm such an idiot, I miss you so much, Samantha. I understand if you don't want to forgive me. But I…I miss my best friend." he frowned.

I bit my lip and nodded, not knowing what to say. "I miss you too."

I watched as a small smile appeared on his face. "Can we give our friendship another try?" he asked me. I sighed, fiddling with my thumbs. "Don't forget about me again."

I felt a sudden rush of butterflies in my stomach as Cesc scooped me up in his arms, giving me a tight hug. "I won't, Sammy. I won't." he mumbled, kissing my forehead. I smiled and hugged him back, hoping I didn't make a huge mistake.
♠ ♠ ♠
they're friends again! :) x