Something New

Chapter 2

Once I got to the office, my stomach errupted in butterflies. I was so nervous, I had no idea what they were going to tell me.

I got Kailey out of the car, and she was peacfully asleep in her carrier. She was such an amazing little girl, I couldn't ask for a better baby girl. I walked up to the door of the office and knocked on the door. I didn't just want to walk in.

Duane Lee opened the door and smiled upon seeing me. "Hey, come on in," he said, stepping out of the way. "Dad! Someone's here to see you!" He called into the other room.

"Who is it?" He called back.

Duane Lee looked back at me with an apollogetic smile. "I'm sorry, I didn't get your name?"

"Samantha," I said, softly.

"It's Samantha," he said, poking his head through the door. "The girl from earlier."

"Oh! Right, bring her on in." Duan Lee waived me into Dog's office, where him and Beth sat at the desk.

"Hi, there Samantha, come take a seat," he said, giving me a friendly smile.

I sat in a chair across from him and Beth, and sat Kailey's carrier on the floor next to me. "So, Baby Lissa mentioned you just moved here and were looking for a job?" Beth said.

"I was out looking for a job, when that guy ran into us," I explained.

"That was really great the way you handled him," Dog said, sitting back in his chair.

I blushed, giving a small, triumphent smile. "Thank you. But, like I told Lissa, I wasn't fishing for a job. I was just mad that the guy ran into Kailey and I. I mean, a job would be great, I can do anything. But, I'm not expecting one..." Just insert your foot in your mouth now, Samantha. Gees...

Beth laughed, shaking her head. "I like her, she's a cute little thing," she said to Dog.

He sighed, sitting up to his desk and looking at me. "I'm willing to give you a chance, Samantha. Mainly because I know what it's like to struggle, and I don't want you to have to do that with your daughter. You moved here for whatever reason, and I'm sure it was to make a better life for the two of you. So, we'll get some information started, and we'll see what you can do."

I sat there in awe, looking at the both of them. "Really?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

"You got the job, Sistah," Beth said, smiling.

"I don't know how to thank you guys. I owe you so much," I said, feeling tears come to my eyes.

"Oh, Honey, don't do that. We all need a little help once in awhile," Dog said, standing up and giving me a hug. "Now, can we see that baby?" He asked, looking down at Kailey.

"Of course," I said, unbuckling her and getting her out. She slightly stired in her sleep as I handed her to Dog.

"She's beautiful, what's her name?"

"Kailey Rose," I smiled, starring at her.

"She's precious," Beth said, stroking her light hair.

Dog started walking out of his office, and into the main office. Everybody was now sitting around the room, doing their own thing. Duane Lee, Leland, Young Blood, and Baby Lissa all looked up when we walked out. "Guys, I'd like you to meet our new addition to the team," Dog announced.

"She's kinda small, don't you think?" Young Blood said, smiling at Kailey.

"She may be small, but I can already tell she's going to be a fighter. Uncle Dog will make sure of that."

"Oh no, now you've done it," Baby Lissa said, laughing and shaking her head.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"He's a sucker for babies; he can't get enough of them," Leland said, shaking his head. "Look at all of us and our siblings." He did have a point there.

"What can I say? I love to spread love," Dog said, laughing.

"So what are we going to have her do, then?" Beth asked, going through some papers.

"I figured we could have her do paperwork here at the office and such for now," Dog said, handing Kailey over to Baby Lissa.

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Beth said, coming back over to us. "Go ahead and start filling these out, Samantha. Can you start tomorrow?"

"Of course, I just need to find someone to watch Kailey," I said, starting to fill out the papers.

"I have someone that watches my daughter," Baby Lissa said. "She can watch Kailey, too."

I looked at her with an uneasy look. "We've known her for years, she's practically like family. We wouldn't let anything happen to her, Samantha," Beth said, reassuringly.

"Okay," I said, nodding and agreeing to it.

"I'll go ahead and give her a call today and let her know," Baby Lissa said.

"She's such a good baby," Leland said, walking over and standing with Kailey and Baby Lissa. Kailey then opened her sleepy eyes and looked at the two of them. "Wow, her eyes are so pretty."

"Where did she get her blue eyes from?" Baby Lissa asked.

"Her sperm donor," I said, not liking to talk about him. They gave me a confused look. "Sorry, he just really annoys me..."

"Is that why you moved here?" Dog asked, trying to figure out my background.

I nodded. "It's part of the reason. It's a long, boring story."

"So her father isn't in the picture then?" Leland asked.

"Nope, I made sure of that."

Beth gave me a look of understanding. "Do we need to make sure we know who he is and make sure he doesn't come around?" She asked, protectivly.

"I highly doubt he'll come around, especially here. He won't think of finding me here, or let alone have the money to get out here. He's a dead beat, good for nothing loser. We're both better off without him. I'm perfectly fine being a single mother and busting my butt to raise her on my own."

Dog's smile widened even more. "Now that's what I love hearing. I think you're going to be a great addition to this team, Samantha."

"Don't worry, you don't need that loser. We're here for you now," Leland said, taking Kailey into his arms. My heart swelled when they said this. I never thought I would feel like this again. But, it was still too soon to tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's starting out so slow. It'll start picking up soon (: