‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

The Yule Ball

I rushed around desperately as I tried to find my red and black earrings. “Rayne, where the hell are my earrings?”

She held up a pair, as she keeps rushes to get her feet inside her pearl-colored pumps. I nodded, snatching them out of her grasp as I ran to the mirror and hurried to put them in my ear. We were running late to the Yule Ball thanks to procrastination, and I was supposed to dance with all the other champions before anyone else.

Hermione sighed. “Girls, can one of you zip up the back of my dress? I can’t reach it!”

“I got it! Gees, I’m the only one ready,” Ruby exclaimed, almost tripping over the clutter on the floor before reaching the girl in the beautiful dress. She smiled and thanked her.

“How do we even finish this late,” I wondered, fluffing out any wrinkles on my red dress with my hands. “We have to go!”

The girl’s dormitory was empty except for the four of us. We were all running around trying to finish our makeup, get our nails finished, put on jewelry, find our shoes. So much to do and so little time.

I waltzed around the room, as I waited. I was lucky I had accustomed to the black heels which Rayne had pushed me into wearing. “This is gonna be such an incredible night,” I chirped.

“I just wanna see who Hermione’s dressing all lovely for.”

“I know right, Ruby? She’s going to be dazzling.”

I rolled my eyes. “Hermione we should totally swap dresses.”

She stuck her tongue out at me, blushing slightly and smiling. “I just can’t believe this is happening!”

I shook my head. “Neither can I. Now, while you finish your hair, I’m gonna go ahead with the other two and wait out by the Great Hall. I’m supposed to be there earlier.”

“But you’re already la-”

I shushed Rayne and yanked her arm along with the honey brown haired girl’s. We began heading down the moving stairs, receiving a few comments from girls and guys rushing down. When we reached the bottom, I could make out my brother and Ron with the Patil twins. I scoffed. They could’ve done so much better.

Harry turned around and his mouth opened a bit. I smirked. “Harry, don’t you look dashing? And Ron - wow. Ron.”

He shot me a glare. “Bloody hell, I look like more ancient than Dumbledore.”

I snorted a bit unattractively, before spotting Krum. He’s standing next to the boy who is my so-called date for the Ball. Ruby shoots me a wink before walking over to Dean and giving him a kiss on the cheek, dragging him inside the Great Hall.

“Why are you looking at Krum,” Harry asked, raising a brow.

“Don’t tell me he’s your date,” Ron gaped.

I shook my head. “Oh god, no! I just need to talk to him. I’ll be right back.”

I walk over to the Durmstrang champion and give a joking curtsy. “Hello, your master Krum himself. I’m so absolutely shocked that you, Viktor Krum yourself, is allowing me to join your group for the Ball! Like, bloody hell!”

He rolls his eyes, smirking. “Very funny. This ‘s Nikolaj Ivan. He’s my friend,” he introduced, rolling out the “r” in friend.

I nodded, sticking my hand out to the handsome boy in front of me. His skin was a much lighter tone than his Quidditch-star friend’s, but it contrasted his dark eyes perfectly. His hair was a brown buzz cut, and he had a bit of stubble on his chin. He wore a brighter but courageous smile, unlike the charming smirk most Durmstrangs wore on their faces.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Rosalie,” I greeted. He nodded, smiling, as he gave my hand a firm and tough grip. His accent seemed slightly less Bulgarian and thick, but it was deep and enough to make any girl sigh in awe as he spoke. “Harry Potter’s sister? Of course, vhat an honor to finally meet you.”

I blushed slightly, linking my arm with his. I looked to my brother, who was looking behind my shoulder. I turned my head slightly to the side, and I could see Cedric greeting students, and of course, next to him was the undeniably gorgeous but absolutely hated (by me, anyways), Cho Chang. He looked up and his eyes met mine. He smiled brightly and I quickly pulled away, keeping my gaze to the bottom of my dress as I let out an exasperated sigh.

“Is something vrong,” Krum asked, raising his brow. “And vhere is Herm-own-ninny?

Hermione should be down here anytime soon,” I emphasized, correcting him. “And no, I’m fine. Just a bit anxious, that’s all.”

I waited silently. After a few moments, I could see Krum aweing at someone descending down the staircase. I eyed her carefully, noticing Hermione. My mouth opened a bit. I hadn’t taken it in before, but she really did look absolutely amazing and beautiful. I slightly envied her, but smiled because I knew that would be more than enough to impress her Bulgarian sweetheart.

He stepped in front of her, bowing before offering her his arm. She squealed slightly, beaming from ear to ear. Her eyes were twinkling with excitement as she walked towards us. McGonagall began rushing us to line up in front of the double doors so we could make our grand entrance.

Harry was behind me. He leaned into my ear, whispering. “Hermione and Krum? And you with a Durmstrang? I better get full details later.”

I scoffed. “You came with a Patil.”

Before Parvati could make a comeback at me after her gasp, the doors opened, and the whole walk through the clapping crowd all I could do was smirk.

Image

The night with Nikolaj, Krum, and Hermione had gone a lot better than expected. Nikolaj was a great dancer and guided me through it, joking a bit every now and then to lighten the mood. I’d stepped on his foot once or twice by now, but I guess I blame my clumsiness. I think the other two were having a fun time. Their smiles sure showed it anyways.

We sat down at a table, chatting away.

“And then the next thing I know, I just feel this cold water hit me, and I’m like, ‘what the fuck is going on,’” I say through my laughter. Nikolaj is doubling over, laughing with me as I recite the story of my third year when Peeves publicly humiliated me in the Great Hall by soaking in me water as I entered.

“But did any vone see,” he asked, trying to breathe.

I nodded, leaning my head back. “The Hall was full of students! It was so embarrassing. I went running after that little son of a bitch.”

He clapped slowly. “Vhat a great story.”

I sighed, finally able to breathe again. “Thank you, thank you. I try my best to make memories for History to remember.”

“Durmstrang is very strict, ve don’t usually have that type of fun,” Nikolaj explains, running a hand through the top of his head. “But i’s a good school, vhatever anyone may think of it.”

I nodded. “Hopefully fun will come knocking at your door soon!”

He smirked. “It already did.”

I blushed a little bit before turning back to the dance floor. I could make out Cho and Cedric swaying, and a pang of jealousy suddenly hit me in the chest like a bus. She laughed, putting a hand on his chest flirtatiously as she smiled brightly. That goddamn Ravenclaw. The worst part is Cedric seemed to be either too oblivious to stop it, or too busy enjoying it.

She began walking away from him, and my insides suddenly felt so relieved and happy. But I began to tense up again as his eyes made contact with mine once more and he motioned for me to go over to him.

“Hey, Ivan, do you mind if I go take one quick dance with my friend,” I asked, pointing at the tall, blonde Hufflepuff boy with the tousled hair. He nodded, and I thanked him as I stood up, making my way to him.

“Hi,” I sheepishly mumbled.

He grinned. “Hello. Can I have one dance?”

I nodded, blushing. “Of course.”

His hands found my waist, sending tingles throughout my entire body. I wrapped my arms around his neck as we moved in sync to the slow song ringing throughout the room. The dance floor was still occupied by a ton of people, but we managed to get around to dancing without running into anyone.

“So, what happened to Chang,” I asked.

“She got a bit tired, went to sit down. I took it as an opportunity to at least have one dance with you,” he said.

Heat rose to my cheeks and I looked at the floor to avoid further embarrassment. He pulled me a bit closer to him, continuing to sway me slightly.

“And what about your little Durmstrang friend,” he asked. “Having fun snogging him?”

My eyes widened. “Oh bloody hell, Diggory. We weren’t snogging! He’s just a new friend. I’m doing Hermione a favor.”

He nodded, smirking a bit. “Ah, I see.”

“Does your little girlfriend know I’m dancing with you,” I asked as I peered over to where she was glaring at me with her dark but soft eyes.

“Nah, but I bet she’s fine with it.”

Fine? Are you sure? She looks like she’s ready to murder me in my sleep.”

He rolled his eyes. “Cho is a nice girl, she’s okay.”

I scoffed. “Whatever you say, Prince Charming.”

“Gladly, princess.”

I hid my face in his chest as he called me that, knowing I was going to turn redder than a tomato. “How are you a Hufflepuff,” I asked after removing my head from his torso. “You’ve gotta be absolutely brave to join a competition like that, and not to mention the fact you’re a charmer. You’re sure not the average Hufflepuff.”

He smiled. “I get that a lot. I guess I’m just a badger and a lion at the same time.”

I smiled back and let the rest of the moment continue in silence. After the song ended, I dismissed myself from him.

“I think the raven-haired girl shooting daggers at me is ready to take you back, so I’ll go back with Ivan now. Thank you for the dance!”

And with that, I ran off smiling like an idiot.

As I slumped down in my seat, all I could see was a smirking Nikolaj.

“Did you have fun,” he asked, raising a brow cheekily.

“Oh shut up,” I grumbled as I pushed his arm.

He smiled and I scoffed. I could still feel every nerve in my body jumping excitedly as his touch lingered on my upper body and on my waist. I probably looked like a lovestruck freak.

“I think I should get you some punch before you hyperventilate,” he suggests, standing up. He grabs my hand and I take it gladly, also getting up from the seat.

“No thanks, but I wanna go see the Weird Sisters,” I urge, pointing to the stage where the band was setting up and the crowd of students was going crazy.

Ivan nodded. “Of course.”

We walked over to Hermione and Krum who were in the middle of the swarm, beginning to dance to the music. Her cheeks were pink and her smile shined brighter than ever as she twirled around with the Durmstrang boy. Before I knew it, I felt someone spin me around and I giggled at the giddy brown-haired lad as I began dancing to the song. Everyone was screaming and jumping and just having a blast, in all honesty.

As I continued to be a crazy teenager, I bumped my shoulder onto someone. I was about to turn around to apologize when I saw it was merely Fred and Angelina. I smirked at them. Fred turned around, noticing me and winked. I gave him a thumbs up before returning to my date and my fun night.

About an hour passed and I was absolutely pumped with adrenaline from singing along and being absolutely insane and funny. We followed my brown-haired friend and her date to get some drinks. Nikolaj and Viktor offered to get them themselves, and we thanked. Before we knew it, we were both getting kissed in the hand. I blushed deeply as Hermione span around, clutching her head with a cheeky smile.

I watched as she headed over to Ron and my brother, who were slouching alone in a table, away from everyone else.

The conversation seemed to be getting a bit heated. I was about to go break them up when I felt a tap on my shoulder and the boys handed me a cup. Hermione came stomping back slightly, smiling as she snatched the cup and drank the pumpkin juice up happily.

“If only this was firewhiskey,” I joked.

Krum almost snorted but Hermione bit her lip, and I just laughed.

The night kept on slowly, and before I knew it, it was getting late. Nikolaj and Krum had decided to be on their way, so now me and my brother sat down, watching Hermione and Ron argue about their pairs. I scoffed. “I can literally feel the sexual tension and attraction to them. Ron is such a ninny.”

Harry chuckled. “I know. A jealous ninny at that.”

He stood up and went up to his friend, but before he knew it, tears were pouring angrily down his friend’s cheeks and she began shooing them off to the common room. I stood up and walked over to her, watching her as she removed her heels and sat down on the bottom step of the stairs, crying.

I rubbed circles on her back, pulling her into a hug.

“Why is Ron such a - a -”

“Bitch? Jealous ninny? Git? Hormonal teenage boy?”

She sniffled. “Yes.”

“Because he’s a bloody Weasley and he’s proud of himself.”

She sighed, wiping tears from her eyes. “He spoiled my whole bloody night.”

I smiled, patting her back. “Aww c’mon, ‘Mione. You don’t need him. Smile and cheer the fuck up because Viktor fucking Krum was all over you. I can’t imagine how many girls want to be in your spot right now.’

She sniffed, smiling. “You’re right. Plus, you got your charming dance with Cedric. We both came out winners, I’m not letting that bloody git ruin this fun night for me.”

I clapped my hands. “Good. Now seriously, stop crying before I have to slap you, Granger.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My god, this is hands down the longest chapter I ever wrote!
Rosalie's dress. |Rayne's dress.
I hope you guys enjoyed the Yule Ball chapter, I got a little bit of #Redric in there, too!
Thanks to the lioness and Justice Rader for commenting ♥
Love you all x