‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Idiots Have No Patience For A Date

“Why in the world do we have Potions, with bloody fourth years,” I mumble to Fred as I eye Snape, hoping he doesn’t hear me as he walks around all the tables. “They’re idiots.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s heads shoot up at us. “You do realize we can hear y-”

Ron’s interrupted by a smacking book on his head. The twins and I try to contain our laughter as we watch the three get slammed with a notebook. Snape shoots us a glare and I bite on my tongue to shut myself up, moving the quill around the parchment as I write. I had no idea what to do now as I stared down at the nearly-finished essay.

I nudged Fred in the ribcage. “Mind if I copy some of your work?”

He scoffs. “Bloody hell I do. You’re smart enough to do it yourself, princess.”

I roll my eyes at him. “Jerk.”

I feel a sudden pang of hurt in my head and I groan as the sound rings through two more times. Even though the Professor had just hit my head to shut me up, I couldn’t help but burst out in giggles. He slams the book on my head once more and I bite my cheek, grinning ike an idiot.

“Hermione, you’re a girl,” Ron said, looking at her.

“And that means,” she asked rudely.

I peek my head up to see the Potions master heading towards them. I had a feeling this would just continue. I warned Harry with a look and he turned around, patting Ron on his shoulder repeatedly as he tried to get him to quiet. He wouldn’t bother, not noticing who was walking his direction.

The noise rung out once more, and by this moment me, Fred, and George had our heads on the table as we tried to contain ourselves before receiving detention. Harry shot me a glare at my internal laughter but I could tell inside he was secretly thanking me.

I shot a wink at him and began scribbling more random words onto the paper. “Do you even plan on asking Angelina out any time soon,” I whispered.

He flushed.

George smirked and pat his back. “Aww, little Freddy’s all in love!”

His brother gave him a quick death stare before turning back to his notebook. He ripped out a piece of the parchment and began scribbling something on it while looking up at the trio diagonal to us.

“What are you doing,” I asked.

“Don’t question my smooth plans,” he interrupts sassily.

I put my hands up defensively as he hides the paper under his book quickly, pretending to focus on the assignment as we’re given a suspicious look from a rude Slytherin on the other table.

He throws it to Ron, who looks at it. After allowing his eyes to scan the handwriting, he throws it back at his older brother. “And who are you going with, huh?”

Fred smirks and crumples it up, aiming for Angelina’s head. I’m grinning as I watch her turn around, eyeing the twins with an evil look.

“Angelina,” he murmurs. “Will you go to the ball with me?”

As he talked, he imitated a waltz type of dance, making himself look absolutely ridiculous. I almost snort as Angelina smiles and nods. “Okay.”

“Slick git,” I hiss, before giving him a thumbs up.

Ronald groans, his ears turning a burgundy red. Harry’s face is unreadable and odd - it looks like he’s trying not to laugh, but at the same time he’s upset yet another person has someone to go with them to Yule Ball. I snicker as I realize he doesn’t realize I have one, too.

The ginger continues his argument with the girl next to him. I tried to ignore them, but of course it had to blow up in my face.

Hermione stands up angrily, clutching her completed work and quill. She storms up to Snape, handing him it before going back to grab her books.

“And I said yes!”

With that, the brown-haired girl was off in rage.

I raised a brow questioningly at her figure but shook it off as I slumped in my seat a bit, finishing the last of the essay. I closed the notebook shut, standing up. I walked up to Snape. He snatched the notebook from my hands before skimming through it.

“You might want to tell your little friends to keep their mouths shut, Potter,” he snarls slightly.

I laugh. “Oh, how funny. You think they’ll actually shut up.”

He shoots me a glare as the smirk shows the clear amusement flickering in my face. I skip giddily out of the Great Hall, but luckily turn around to not miss my brother and his friend’s head being shoved to their papers.

Image

“Did he really just blow you off like that,” I gasped as furious Hermione paced back and forth through the courtyard, a few angry tears rushing down her face.

“Yes, he’s such a bloody git! He’s so blind by his own pride to consider that maybe I do actually have a date, and one he wouldn’t imagine at that,” she spats, crossing her arms.

“I think he’s jealous.”

Her head snaps to me. “What? Jealous? Are you kidding, Rosalie? Why would he be jealous?”

I shrugged. “I think he likes you.”

She blushed but then started laughing without humor. “I doubt he does, he’s such a proud git! Ugh!”

I stand up and hug her, rubbing circles on her back. “It’s okay, I’m right here forever. Just let it all out.”

“Rosalie,” I hear a male voice call. My head snaps up at the familiarity of the voice, and I beam as see the dirty blonde champion heading towards me. My hands quickly let go of Hermione and I run up to him. I hear Hermione gasp and stomp her foot and I giggle, turning my head back to quickly mumble sorry. Before I could turn around, my head collides with a chest.

I rub at my forehead, chuckling. “God, I’m sorry Cedric.”

He chuckles with me. “No, no it’s okay. Were you busy with Granger? I can talk another ti-”

I shake my head suddenly. “No, I’m fine. I mean, she’s fine. How are you,” I ask, running a hand through my hair as I smile up at him.

He smiles, his pearly white teeth showing. “I’m doing great, thanks. Still alive. Listen, I wanted to ask you something.”

I raised my brow. What did he possibly have to ask me?

“It’s about the Ball.”

Oh.

I bit my lip suddenly.

He began scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. “I really don’t know who else to ask, and I was kind of sorta hoping that maybe you wanted to go with me?” He chuckled nervously.

I sighed. “Cedric, thank you for the offer. I feel bad I can’t accept it.”

He frowns suddenly, his eyes softening. “Why not?”

“I already agreed to go with this Durmstrang boy as a favor for ‘Mione. I’m so sorry, I really would have accepted. In fact, I was kind of hoping you would ask me,” I sheepishly answered, my cheeks a pink tint.

He pouted slightly, keeping his eyes locked on the ground but suddenly he looked up, smirking. His eyes met mine and there was a new glint of happiness. “Oh, ‘hoping?’ and why were you ‘hoping?’”

My eyes widened. “I, erm, I…”

Cedric’s smirk grew wider. “It’s a shame you can’t come with me. It would’ve been nice to go with you. But hey, I’ll see you around, and I hope you have fun at the Ball.”

He began walking off, and I could feel the heat in my cheeks. I was probably a flushing red color. I smacked myself with my hand. I began walking off to Herbology, replaying what just happened in my mind. I grumbled with every step I took.

I’m such a fucking idiot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter seventeen! The Yule Ball is next chapter, haha. So close! I think you guys are gonna like it. It'll be a fun night!
But I can't be the only one who feels horrible for Cedric right now :( I ship #Redric (I bless Bekah's mind for coming up with this).
Thanks to my lovely commenters as always; the lioness, misfitchild, together., and forbiddensecrets for the comments as you guys always cheer me up and make me want to post more!
The next chapter is planned out very thoroughly and I have spent all night watching Goblet of Fire to prepare for writing it. I also have Rosalie's Yule Ball dress pinned on the chapter in a link so you guys can get a better view of how it looks like!
Love you all! x