‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Damned For a Listener

“Congratulations, Rosalie!”

“Third place? And your brother! You guys are so brave!”

“Wow, great job, Potter!”

Tons of greetings and congratulatory words were thrown at me as I walked to the common room, shuddering slightly. It was still a bit cold, or it could have been just me. I walked in silence, Rayne following closely behind.

The Second Task had gone rather well, considering we weren’t even sure if our plan of gillyweed would work. And after Neville’s admittance to the debate of the effects, we were even less certain. But luckily, it had worked out greatl.

“Everyone’s treating you like you just slayed a dragon in front of their eyes,” Rayne commented.

“But I did. You know, remember the first task?”

She scoffed. “Don’t put that sarcastic tone with me.”

“Look, Crabbe, Goyle! If it isn’t the Hogwarts fool herself, Rosalie Potter,” Draco’s cool voice sneered.

“But you can use it on him,” Rayne hissed, cracking her knuckles.

“Oh look, Rayne! It’s Draco Malfoy, the Hogwarts git,” I shot at him, his name rolling off my tongue like venom.

“Had fun saving the Mudblood? Some treasure, at least mine wouldn’t have been some filthy little -”

“Don’t you dare say a word about that. If anything, I’m better than you,” Rayne exclaimed, her voice almost a little too loud.

I inched a step closer. “What even do you want, Malfoy?”

He laughed humorlessly. “Last time I checked, I had free range to say what I want to you, is that not right?”

“Yeah, if you want your arse hanging from the Astronomy Tower it is,” I remarked.

His nose flared. “Just because you made it through two tasks doesn’t mean you’ll make it through the third one.”

“And what tells you that,” Rayne asked, raising a brow as she still fumed in rage.

“Face it. You might have won this contest, Potter, but you're a girl, and you're weak. I'll be damned if you make it through this!"

“Sexist pig much,” I snapped, my fists clenching. “I’ll make it through the third task, and I’ll be sure to make sure you’re damned alright.”

He scoffed. “Good luck with that, Potter!”

He turned around to walk, mumbling under his breath. “Good for nothing blood traitor, am I right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Go to Hell!”

With that, Rayne and I turned on our heels, heading the other direction. I let out a sigh. “He’s such a bloody pain in the arse. Did he say anything that hurt you?”

She shrugged. “Used to it, from him anyways. It doesn’t hurt me anymore.”

I smiled. “Good for you. My brother told me we were going to Hagrid’s later, you coming with?”

She shook her head. “Nah, I think me and George are going to go to the Hogwarts choir show. Plus, I have to study for our N.E.W.Ts exam. It is coming up.”

I snickered. “Haha, you have to take it.”

“Oh shut it,” she mumbled, nudging my side. “You just get out of it because you’re doing all these dangerous tasks.”

I grinned. “You still know you love me. But what’s this about you and George?”

Rayne’s lips twitched upwards. “We’re friends, Rose! We can hang out.”

“Friends, aye,” I asked, wiggling my brows.

She blushed. “Shut up! I don’t like him. We’re friends, for God’s sake!”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say, but go. Your Prince Charming is waiting.”

Rayne shoved me playfully before waving goodbye. She took off running in the direction of the Gryffindor common room, leaving me alone to myself.

I sighed, chuckling at the thought of George and Rayne together. Whether they denied it, they would make an adorable couple. And I was certain somehow there’d be something going on with them soon.

Friendship always leads to something else, doesn’t it?

I grumbled as I walked to the courtyard, my thoughts wandering off to Cedric and his treasure. Did he really care that much about Cho Chang? I huffed, letting a deep breath escape my lips.

As I entered the beautiful court I came to for relaxation most of the time, I could spot someone sitting on the bench on the other side. It was Cedric, in a Hufflepuff robe like always, but a scarf wrapped around his neck. He wasn’t with his friends of with the Ravenclaw I loathed deeply, which I had expected.

At the sight of me, he began chuckling as he waved for me to come sit next to him. My eyes widened in shock, but nonetheless I began shuffling awkwardly over to the seat across. The courtyard was empty except for two Gryffindors on the other corner conversing.

“Hi,” I greeted, a small smile on my face. “You did a great job today, congratulations on first place.”

He sheepishly blushed, smiling. “It wasn’t anything big. I still dunno how I’m managing to even make it through this.”

“You’re clever, and brave. Don’t deny it. I’m surprised you’re not in Gryffindor to be honest!”

Cedric shook his head. “Nah, I’m not that great. I wouldn’t be surprised if you or your brother took the trophy home. You two are a great team, and absolutely courageous for not even being of age to have signed up for the Tournament.”

I sighed. “I don’t think that. If anything, you should be the winner. You should get to take the trophy for Hufflepuff.”

“You’re still better than me.”

“May I remind you if it weren’t for your advice, I wouldn’t have made it through the Second task.”

He rolled his eyes. “I would have gotten eaten by a Swedish Shortsnout if it weren’t for you, so I guess we’re both even.”

“If we’re even, then stop bloody complaining,” I exclaimed, chuckling.

He joined in, a few seconds passing by before an awkward silence filled the air, growing tension.

“So, how are things with you and Cho,” I asked.

He sighed, shrugging. “Honestly, I don’t know. I thought I liked her, but I just, I don’t even know anymore. Stuff happened, I’m surprised they chose her as my treasure.”

I scooched a little closer, frowning as I put a hand over his. “You can tell me anything, you know. We may not be best friends but I’m still here to listen.”

He grumbled. “See, that’s the thing. Why am I with Cho?”

I eyed Cedric, blinking. “Well, why are you with her?”

He ran a hand through his hair. “I thought I liked her, but I was wrong. She doesn’t even take the time to listen to me, it’s mostly showing off to her stupid friends and wanting to snog. Why am I with someone like Chang, when there’s this girl right here that I didn’t even know I liked until now, who isn’t just beautiful and smart, but is just willing to listen all the time and be there for me.”

I blinked, my face blank as I tried to comprehend what he was saying.

Before I could open my mouth to speak, his lips collided with my own, passionately kissing me. His chapped lips were only on mine for a few seconds, before he pulled away, his hands cupping my cheeks. They dropped to his sides as he grabbed his books, smirking.

“I had to do that at least once.”

And with that, he was off.
♠ ♠ ♠
AWW REDRIC KISSED
AND RAYNE AND GEORGE ARE HANGING OUT HUH *smirk*
BUT HEY MAYBE IM PLAYING AND THEY'RE JUST FRIENDS
BUT DRACO DAMN CAN YOU STOP BEING A GIT FOR TWO SECONDS
Thank you to my lovelies the lioness and misfitchild! ♥ If it weren't for the comments ya'll leave this story wouldn't be continuing!
Love you all! x