‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Information from the Potions Master

How was the Third Task already so near?

I couldn’t help but ask myself that question as I aimlessly strolled down the hallways of Hogwarts. All I could do was feel absolutely relieved that the Triwizard Tournament was coming to an end. It had been an interesting, and rather eventful, year.

Sadly, even if in just mere weeks I’d be back in Privet Drive, sitting in a bedroom alone with my brother in the home of the Dursleys, there was still danger. The upcoming Task would definitely be harder on us than any of the others. We were more positive on that then anything.

But the thought still creeped into my mind and lingered. What if one of us got hurt:? Or worse, failed to make it through?

I shivered, shaking my head. “No, Rosalie, stop thinking like that,” I mumbled to myself. “That won’t happen. I won’t allow it. Harry and I will survive…”

I continued breathing reassuring things to myself, continuing my random trudge towards the dungeons.

I wasn't really sure what had brought me to the underground section of Hogwarts. I didn't know what kept me walking towards the Potions classroom.

I found myself in front of the room I was so familiar with for the past six years of my life. I stared at the door for a bit, questioning my actions before reaching for the doorknob.

I was about to turn it when the door swung open by itself. I jumped back, letting out a slight yelp.

"Merlin's beard," I exclaimed. When I got a better glimpse at the figure, I blushed deeply, feeling the kind brown eyes glancing down at me.

"I'm sorry, Rose," he chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. "Erm, I'm kinda glad I ran into you, because I need to talk to you."

I gulped. Was it about the kiss? Did he regret it?

I nodded. "Yeah, um sure. Go ahead."

He sighed. "So, I know I kissed you. And trust me, it was good."

"Really good," I mumbled to myself.

"First, I want to apologize for running off. I was scared you'd run off yourself because you didn't like me," he explained, frowning.

I eyed him as if he'd grown a second head. "Are you barking? Of course I like you," I admitted, my cheeks continuing to heat up.

Cedric beamed. "Good, because I can tell you the second thing, then. I really like you, Rosalie."

My stomach fluttered nervously. Did he just..?

"I don't want to be with Cho anymore. She's not the right girl for me. I thought that after the Third Task I'd tell her, then you and I could, er, you know..."

I smirked teasingly, trying to hide the fact my stomach was doing backflips at this point. "How do you know if I'd say yes?"

This time, it was his turn to flush a bright pink. "I mean, only if you wanted to! I-I'm just making this awkward aren't I?"

I laughed before letting out a sigh. "I would love that."

He chuckled. "So, what are you doing in the dungeons all alone at night in front of Professor Snape's class?"

"Oh, erm, I just need help. With uh, Potions work," I lied. Well, it was partially true...

He nodded. "Ah, I had detention."

I raised a brow, still smirking. "Oh? What for?"

"Your two ginger friends set off a Dungbomb on the sixth floor corridor and I happened to be there at that time. So, I got blamed on by Snape."

I chuckled. "Oh, those Weasleys. But it's okay, he literally holds a grudge against anyone not in Slytherin."

Cedric laughed. "Yeah. Look, I should get back to my common room. I'm actually very exhausted and could use some sleep. Good luck in there," he said.

I nodded before getting on my tip-toes and planting a kiss on his cheek. He smiled before waving and heading away towards the stairs.

I sighed before letting out a squeal, erupting in happiness. I started jumping around happily, but as I turned around, I noticed a very entertained Severus Snape standing by the door.

"Having fun with Diggory, now, Potter," he mused.

I groaned and rolled my eyes at him. "Oh hush, Professor. I don't want to talk about it."

"Well, Potter, what brings you to my office almost during curfew?"

I scoffed. "You know, once upon a time I would stop by or just stroll over here for advice from you. Can I not do that now?"

He stared at me boringly before silently walking into his classroom. I smiled victoriously as I followed him in, closing the door behind him. "Thank you."

He sat at his desk before looking back up at me. "So," he drawled in his monotone voice. "What is it you must disturb my time for?"

"Gees, someone isn't happy to see me," I stated, putting a hand on my chest to fake hurt. "Ouch."

His lips twitched upwards slightly and I beamed, clapping. "YOU ALMOST SMILED! SEVERUS SNAPE ALMOST SMILED!"

He scoffed. "Seeing you in pain, pretending or not, is rather amusing, Potter."

I grinned. "Still counts. Plus you know you adore me."

"You remind me too much of your father, which is not a good thing."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Back on topic. I want to talk about the Third Task," I began.

He raised a brow. "What about it?"

"I'm worried," I burst out. "I have this bad feeling in me and I just have to tell someone! I'm scared something will happen but I'm not even having visions anymore and -"

"Breathe, Potter," he spoke slowly, his eyes boring at me. "From what I've heard, the Dark Lord may be plotting for that day. I'm not sure."

My eyes widened. "WHAT? AND YOU TELL ME THIS NOW?"

He grumbled. "Impatient. As dangerous and odd as things seem right now at Hogwarts, I'm sure Dumbledore is making sure its all under control."

I nodded. "Right. We can trust Dumbledore. Nothing will happen..."

He nodded. "As for surviving, I doubt you'll need help there. You are very smart."

I smiled. "Why thank you, Snape - I mean, sir."

He sighed, still seeming bored as always. "I believe you should keep an eye out. Even if we're relying on Dumbledore, the Dark Lord will stop at nothing to get to your brother."

I sighed. "I know."

Snape stared at me for a moment. "I was told by Dumbledore about a dream you had. Don't cast it away if you know what's good for you, Potter. It may help you."

I nodded. "I'll keep it in mind, but I should get back to the common room."

He smirked. "It is curfew in less than five minutes, so if you don't hurry up I will have to write you up."

"Bastard," I breathed as I stood up and headed for the door.

"Oh, and keep an eye on Potter," Snape explained, his tone twisting in disgust. "I think he and his little friends are brewing up Polyjuice Potion and stealing from my storage to do so."

I gasped. "Are you accusing my brother for stealing from you? Gosh. Plus, he's been too busy with the bloody Tournament to be up to stuff!"

"I was just asking. Surely he would have told you, but I have my eye on him. I might just slip a drop of Veritaserum into his morning pumpkin juice."

I scoffed. "Goodnight, Professor."

With that, I ran off to the common room with tons of new information and questions filling my head. I had to tell Harry, we had new plans.

It was more than surviving now.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm actually so tired and can barely type but as always thank you to all my commenters whose names I'm too lazy to write but you know who you are!
I feel kinda bad for Rose right now bc Cedric *sniff*
BUT ROSE AND SNAPE ARE MY FAVORITES OH THE GOOD OL DAYS