‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Bewitched Mazes

The sound of the cannon was the only thing that sent my feet dashing into the eerie, dark, and creepy looking maze set up on the Hogwarts grounds. Loud cheers and claps broke out, anticipating the action and end to see who would win and come out alive. My thoughts clouded themselves, being triggered by the sudden realization of the noise and moment.

I hated that sound.

I was running into the opened passageway of grass and vines, turning around just in time to see it enclosing me in, leaving me alone. All I could feel was my heart hammering in my chest and my mind racing and planning. My now sweaty palms gripped my wand tightly, desperately trying to be ready for the challenge ahead.

I was just silently praying I hadn’t walked in to a death trap.

As much as I should have been determined or confident, I was curious. The only thing stopping me from those two feelings was my thoughts. Barty Crouch Jr. kept popping into my mind. Snape’s words were the ones mostly popping up, repeating like a broken record over and over.

Was Voldemort really planning something? Was Crouch’s Death Eater son in on it? Why did Snape mention my dream and tell me not to forget it? Did it have something to do with anything?

I began convincing myself that I was just over thinking, that everything would be fine. I just had to stop worrying now.

I didn’t bother taking my time to think as I zoomed randomly around, taking different turns and directions. All I could do at this point was follow my gut and hope I was out of here soon.

I began to walk slowly as I felt the ground begin to tremble under my feet. It felt like an earthquake, and I didn’t know what to make out of it. I was absolutely confused when suddenly, grass began to fall down from the sides of the maze. I yelped and began dashing with all my might, realizing the walls were crumbling down, trying to trap me in them.

At this point, the walls were closing in. I began feeling pressure in my body and realized that I was wrong, that the walls were attempting to come together. I remained pressed against the somewhat strong vines (possibly the work of Professor Sprout’s tending), attempting greatly at escaping.

The light grew nearer, and before I knew it, I slumped right out of it, tumbling to the ground as I watched the two natured walls finally join together, closing. I panted, catching my breath as I looked around.

Dumbledore had mentioned that not only would we be attacked in the maze, but we’d be facing stuff worse than dragons, and some of us might even lose ourselves. Find others turning into people they were never before.

At first, knowing the Professor, I was almost fully sure he was just exaggerating a bit, but even from that first obstacle that I had just faced, coming so early into the Task and almost sucking the breath out of me, I was starting think twice.

I pushed myself up, ready to continue on. I walked slowly this time, eyeing every centimeter of the maze, anticipating every little move.

A few minutes had passed, and I hadn’t run into anything. All I could see was passages and decisions. It didn’t take too long for trouble to return, and even I expected it now.

I turned on my heel, ready to go left when a large and black creature appeared, noticing my presence. My eyes widened as I noticed its scorpion-like legs and stinger. I realized immediately it was a Blast-Ended-Skrewt, which Hagrid had bred in autumn as the Care of Magical Creatures Professor.

It began hissing and making vicious sounds as it attempted to burn, sting, and bite me. I wasn’t sure what to do at this point, but I attempted what I could.

Stupefy,” I exclaimed, watching the blue flash of light come off the tip of my wand and towards the hybrid creature. It bounced right off its reflective shell, and it let out yes another sound as it moved its stinger around, deciding to attempt getting closer.

I took a few steps back, trying to quickly think of any spell that would work. I was ready to attempt a Confundus charm when it suddenly threw its stinger. I jumped at the sudden attempt but managed to fall to the ground, rolling off behind the Blast-Ended Skrewt. It turned around, clearly angered it failed.

I clapped my hands, remembering one particular one that could possibly help me. I pointed my wand, hoping I wouldn’t miss as I yelled, “Dissendium!

The scorpion-like target began to rumble in fury as it shrinked to a smaller size. I watched it, laughing as it became around the size of my palm. Taking a few steps back, watching amusedly at the confused creature trying to find me, I mumbled “Confringo,” and watched as a slight explosion set off, and the Skrewt burst into flames, ceasing to exist.

I smiled proudly, but was suddenly interrupted as a loud and very girl-like scream broke out through the walls. If I had heard it, I could tell I was close, or something bad had just happened to Fleur Delacour.

I began racing rapidly towards the sound, trying to follow it. It died down, but I could vaguely remember where I had heard it from. Moments later, I looked up to the sky to see red sparks shooting out of the sky. My thoughts were confirmed.

I continued walking when I noticed a figure. I was almost relieved when I realized it wasn’t any trap, but the buff Quidditch Player Krum.

I sighed, laughing. “Bloody hell, you almost gave me a good right scare there. Have you had any luck?”

At the sound of my voice, Viktor turned around, and I furrowed my brows for a moment, but then widened my eyes and took steps back as I took in his face. It was an odd, ghastly pale color and his eyes were whitened, the irises a pale white with a slight blue. The bottom of his eyes were dark and purple, and his expression showed no friendliness as he lifted his wand.

“K-Krum,” I began, alarmed. “Are you cursed? Y-Yo-”

All I heard was Krum exclaiming some words as I screamed and ducked down, feeling the bright green jet fly above my head. Another voice joined in, yelling, “Get down!”

I turned around to see Cedric Diggory, and I couldn’t be any more happier as I watched him shoot a spell at Krum. Harry stood to another side, and I instantly ran towards him, pulling him into a large hug.

“I almost died,” I breathed. “Harry I almost -”

“It’s not your fault, Rose, I think he’s cursed. You’re alive.”

I sighed, nodding as I turned my head to Cedric who was walking over to the Durmstrang with a furious expression, ready to murder him. Harry followed my eyesight and immediately stood up, pushing back on his arm to try and stop him.

“Cedric, stop! He’s bewitched,” he pleaded, trying to get him to listen.

He began running, grabbing me and Harry’s arm and yanking us with him. I was confused when I realized thats this time, the walls of the maze really were falling down, trying to collapse onto us. Vines were crawling out from the grass, trying to grab us and take us away. I began running, trying to jump everyone as I held on to Harry’s hand, praying for safety.

I suddenly noticed Cedric was no longer following us, and I began hearing his cries to us for help. “Harry! Rosalie!”

The vines entangled them, trying to strangle him and kill him. Harry turned to him, and then the shiny Triwizard Cup merely yards away, before aiming his wand at the vines and yelling “Producto!”

They grew dead as Cedric gasped for air thankfully, beginning to try and wriggle himself out. I rushed over to him, yanking on them as I pulled them off their tightening grip on his body. “Are you okay,” I asked.

He nodded. “I’m fine,” he assured. “Thanks.”

“For a moment, I thought you two would let it get me.”

I sighed, wiping the dirt off my face. “For a moment, I thought Harry would.”

“All good?”

I nodded at him. Harry walked up behind us as he pointed to the sides, as they began shaking again, leaves crippling down and dirt tumbling.

“We’ve got to go now,” he exclaimed.

Strong and fast winds began blowing our way as we ran towards the cup, almost being blown away a few times. We finally reached the center, watching the cup hoisted on top of the platform as it glowed brighter than any other possible thing in this dim and cold area.

“You saved me, take it,” Cedric ordered. “Take it!”

I shook my head. “No! You have to take it, you’re the real Ho-”

“Together,” Harry interrupted loudly, rushing to leave the area that was about to bury us alive in plants.

“On three?”

“Yup.”

We eyed each other, lifting our hands up towards the chalice.

“One.”

“Two.”

“Three!”
♠ ♠ ♠
OH GOD CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
THIRD TASK
YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS
NEXT CHAPTER
SHIT
GOES
DOWN
I'M ACTUALLY TERRIFIED TO WRITE CHAPTER 26 BECAUSE FOR ONE I KNOW I'M GOING TO FEEL ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE FOR ROSE. TWO, THAT BIG SURPRISE IS NEXT CHAPTER. YUP, DID YOU FORGET? YEAH? WELL, IT'S COMING NOW. THREE, WE ARE ONE STEP CLOSER TO BOOK 5 WHICH HAS A LOT OF BIG CHANGES AND DECISIONS AND SHIT IF YOU COULD NOT TELL AH FUCK EVEN I'M NOT READY FOR THIS.
Thanks to misfitchild and the lioness for your endless support on this story because you two make my day and I seriously love you so fricking much I wish I could give you a trip to Hogwarts ♥
NEXT CHAPTER MAY BE UP VERY SOON BECAUSE I KIND OF JUST WANT TO GET IT OVERWITH AND THEN SUFFER THE FEELS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE SINCE I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO WAIT AND SUFFER THEM LATER.