‹ Prequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Active!

Stranger

The Difference

I was dreading my detention with Umbridge.

The only up side was I could think of was Harry would be accompanying me. It made me feel slightly better about the situation, but I still couldn’t help the irritation.

It’s not like I had anything better to do, but my newly formed hatred for the new Professor proved that I had better things I could do. I had no idea what the toad would have us do. Judging by her deadly but girlish appearance, I wondered if she’d make me and my brother feed her pink demon pets.

When I arrived to the door of the office, Harry was slouching against the wall, his arms crossed as he waited for me. His green eyes met my dark hazel brown ones and he gave me a small but barely-there smile. I returned it before dragging myself to him.

“Have the snakes been giving you any more trouble,” he asked in a low voice.

I just simply shrugged. I still had gotten a few comments but ever since the fit I had with Umbridge, they seemed to slide off me. It wasn’t as much of a bother or burden as before.

He sighed. “You can talk to me, you know.”

I nodded. “I know. I’m just kind of annoyed that we have to be here, and I’m a bit tired.”

Harry reached for the doorknob. “Then I guess we should go in and get it over with as soon as possible, right?”

I released a soft chuckle as he opened the door, stepping inside. When I stepped in, I began coughing at the sudden slap of perfume. I looked around in horror at the pink walls with china hung as decoration. Cats were painted on these china, and on several portraits. A few meowed and purred. The whole room seemed to be covered in the bright color excluding the desk and the floor. Her clothes matched the room as did her tea cup, where she poured pink sugar into.

I tried not to make a disgusted face when I made eye contact with her. I had to continue to remind myself I vowed not to be disrespectful - not tonight.

“Professor,” was all I said, adding a curt nod.

With an almost too innocent smile, she motioned the two of us to the desk. “Sit.”

I slumped into the chair next to my brother’s, looking at the piece of parchment in front of me blankly. My mind felt slightly relieved – no pink demons, just writing lines.

“You two will be doing lines for me, mister and miss Potter.”

Harry looked up at her as she placed two quills in front of us. He passed one to me before letting her speak again. “For you, mister Potter, if you would please write ‘I must not tell lies.’ And miss Potter, if you may, ‘Respect is for those who deserve it.’”

I didn’t realize how tightly I was clutching the quill.

“How many times,” Harry said in a bland tone, clearly displeased with what we had to do.

The Professor shrugged before walking to grab her cup of tea. “Let’s just say, however many times it takes for the message to really sink in.” Her last two words seemed more emphasized than the rest.

I was about to put my pen on the paper when I furrowed my brows. “There’s no ink.”

“You won’t need any ink.”

Harry could note I was about to protest but he gave my arm a squeeze, making me calm down and begin my lines.

Respect is for

The back of my hand began to prickle a little bit. I gave my fingers a little shake and continued writing.

those who deserve it.

I was about to move to the next line when the back of my hand once again began to sear, this time a bit more painfully. I turned to the back and noticed words etching into my skin, making my eyes widen in fright. I watched as the words spelled themselves out slowly, forming a sentence.

Respect is for those who deserve it.

I looked at the parchment in front of me for a moment and finally realized the odd dark red tone the words contained. My face was showed a mixer of shock, anger, and fear – a braided combination that fit perfectly together. And from the corner of my eyes, I could see Harry rubbing at his hand, where his newly formed scars now marked themselves.

Umbridge turned around to face us, her same guiltless smile plastered wrongly on her squashed face. “Is there something wrong?”

Both of us speechless, we just stared at her.

She nodded. “That’s right. Because deep, deep down, you two know that you deserve to be punished.” With a giggle, she walked behind her desk and picked up a book, sipping from her tea. I exchanged a glance with my brother, who merely frowned. When he turned to his paper, he bit his lip as he tried not to flinch. He clenched his fist tightly, the skin turning as white as snow. I couldn’t watch him suffer longer. I gazed at my paper for a couple of cold and hard seconds before looking back at my hand.

I prefer the pink demons.

Image

The last thing I needed was questions.

The same way I’ve kept my scar concealed, I pulled my robe sleeve down to hide the top of my left hand. I got weird looks – as if it wasn’t normal – from passing by Slytherins as I walked through the entrance in the wall and moved to the empty leather sofa. The fireplace was warm compared to the September breeze outside.

The common room was almost vacant tonight – I had to remember it was curfew and students were most likely sleeping. I didn’t really care if someone caught me out here – I just needed peace and quiet.

I had almost zoned off staring at the flickering flames when I heard descending footsteps. I turned my head slightly to the side. I snarled when the pale blonde hair came into view, but my face fell when I noticed the gleaming prefect badge showing itself off on his emerald robes.

You’re a prefect,” I almost exclaimed, making him divert his attention to me. He sneered and stepped to the center of the room.

“Of course I am. Got the badge personally delivered to me, I wasn’t surprised, Potter. What about you? Where’s your prefect badge? Your brother’s? Oh wait.”

I glared at him. “I don’t need a pathetic badge to give me a title in this school.”

Malfoy’s face shifted to a much colder expression. “That’s right, I forget, the almighty sister of the Boy Who Lives is already someone. Too bad you’re all wrapped in your petty lies.”

“And I’m sure your father’s told you all about my extravagant meet with him last summer when Harry ‘lied.’ Or did he not? Wouldn’t be surprised.”

His grey eyes were practically shooting daggers at me. “Lies? It wouldn’t matter if the Dark Lord was back again or not. Only your filthy little blood traitor and Mudblood friends would believe you anyways,” he spat.

When I didn’t answer, he pulled out a paper. “And what’s got you out of your dorm past curfew? Surely you know I am superior to you now, and have full authority to write you up for a detention?”

At the word detention, my new scars burned. I almost winced at the thought of another detention with Umbridge. I considered walking away.

“No,” I sharply said. “You’re not writing me up. I don’t care if you’re superior to me or bloody not. I just want to know what your damn problem is. Then I’ll leave.”

Even I had no idea what I meant, but they had shot at him like icicles in a matter of seconds. He didn’t change his sneer, but it was easy to see a sudden confusion in his aura. “My problem? My problem. I don’t have a problem, Potter.”

“Yes you do,” I snapped. It was my turn to play the Slytherin card of snapping and spatting. “You have twenty million damn problems! And one of them is your hatred. I don’t understand why you have to just-“

I cut myself off, not finding any more will to continue. I sighed, before giving him another glare. “Good riddance, Malfoy.”

He snarled before stepping out the wall. I rolled my eyes and let out a frustrated grumble, standing up from the sofa to walk to the dormitory. I stepped into my room and walked to my bunk, climbing into it and crawling under the covers.

When I turned my head, I realized Daphne was also awake, blankly staring to the ceiling. She seemed to sense my sudden change in attention and look at me.

“I expected you to sleep outside,” she mumbled. Daphne’s voice was soft and sleepy.

I simply shrugged. “Didn’t need to. And your prefect friends ruined it for me. Malfoy can go suck the Whomping Willow’s ass for all I care…”

“Just ignore him, Potter,” Daphne advised. “He’s not going to make your year better.”

I rolled my eyes and flipped my back to her so I stared at the wall. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to fall asleep completely in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
All in favor of throwing Umbridge off the Tower?
Writing this I took out my current anger inside of Umbridge and Draco Poor Rose
Thank you to the lioness (HAPPY BIRTHDAYYY ♥), misfitchild, dedicatedandproud, and ashton irwin.;;!