‹ Prequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Active!

Stranger

The Inquisitor

The man with jet black hair and round glasses pushed the little girl hurriedly down the hall and up the stairs. He tried not to cry as he kissed the trembling little girl’s cheek. The man shoved the little girl behind the wall, whispering words to her she couldn’t hear. She peeked her terrified head out ever so slightly, not missing the giant green flash of light and the falling body.

The toddler closed her eyes tightly and tried not to make a sound.

The image shifted as I stood in front of the door again. The same door from before that I couldn’t reach.

I ran and ran but the door seemed to push further away. I reached one hand out, but when my cool fingertips touched the door knob, the door disappeared. In front of me, Cedric outstretched his wand. When my eyes met his, I smiled and sprinted towards my used-to-be lover who seemed so real in front of me. He was glowing in white like an angel, but his face wrangled with fear. I was focused solely on his return, on having found someone to remove my fright and to accompany me through a neverending nightmare. But the moment my hand touched his, he grew cold and pale, collapsing lifelessly onto the ground.

I began to panic as I stared at the room. Cedric’s body disappeared as did the door. The dark walls suddenly brightened as plentiful flowers sprouted out of them, surrounding me. I reached to touch a red rose, allured by its bold color, when it began to wither and drip as if it were blood. The flowers around it rapidly began to wilt and die, losing their color as they tried to close around me and strangle my petite body.

All I remember was my cry of help.


I awoke the next morning to an empty common room and bright reflecting rays from the lightbulbs. With a low grumble, I crawled out of the Slytherin bed with and changed out of my nightclothes. My head pounded and ached in memory of last night’s dream.

I shivered at the memory as I slowly trudged to the Great Hall, taking a seat with Ginny, who smiled warmly at me,

Ron stuffed his mouth with oatmeal as he read a book. Hermione disgustedly eyed him. “Will you ever stop eating like a pig, Ronald?” Her voice was soft this morning.

“What’s wrong with it,” the Weasley boy asked through a swallow of breakfast.

Rayne and the twins slumped down next to me, grinning. “There’s our little snakey snake,” George exclaimed.

I groaned. “Don’t call me that.”

Fred rolled his eyes. “M’Lady is not a snake, but she is definitely tired. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?”

I gave him a small glare before turning back to the platter in front of me. “I couldn’t sleep.”

“Dreams again,” George asked.

I nodded and Rayne moaned, throwing her hands up in the air. “What dreams? Gosh, no one tells me anything, do they?”

The twins laughed and I managed to crack a smile. After a moment, she playfully scoffed at the laughter and nudged my ribcage. “So, how was detention?”

Fred laughed, giving me a pat on the back. “You really told her off well, mate! Did you see her face when you brought up the dementors?”

“I had to,” I mumbled with an eye roll.

The blonde Gryffindor smirked. “I thought you were depressed?”

“I did too,” I admitted. “I’m not sure what I am honestly. She made me snap, I had a sudden anger and urge.”

George chuckled. “You can piss in Merlin’s pants if you wish but don’t take it from the Slytherins.”

I opened my mouth to speak but the moment I did, Harry walked our direction to Ron and Hermione. He seemed troubled. Did he have a dream too?

“Can I join you guys?”

When the two glanced at each other before nodding, I had to wonder what happened at the Gryffindor Tower last night. We remained blankly staring at the situation between the Trio.

Before he could sit, McGonagall’s voice interrupted the entire Hall from the outside, booming loud enough to be heard from the Halls. Students curiously looked up to the door and walked out, forming a small crowd. I immediately stood up and walked over to where everyone watched, my brother and friends following behind. As I pushed through the kids, the situation came into view. McGonagall and Umbridge stood at the bottom of the stairs arguing. The Transfiguration Professor practically fumed through her voice.

“I’m sorry, Minerva, but what are you insinuating?”

“I’m merely suggesting that when it comes to our students you stick to the prescribed disciplinary practices!”

I rubbed at the back of my hand with a frown as the toad spoke. I dearly wished I could strangle her. “Oh – so silly of me but it sounds as if you’re questioning my methods and my authority – in my classroom!”

“Certainly not,” McGonagall defended. “Dolores, I just disagree with your medieval methods!” I noted the pause before the last two words.

“Well to question me is to question the Ministry and the Minister himself,” Umbridge exclaimed. She seemed even more poisonous at the moment. “I am a tolerable woman, but the one thing I will not tolerate is disloyalty, Minerva!”

I snarled at her from a distance while McGonagall scowled. “Disloyalty.”

A long silence fell amongst everyone. The two Professors seemed to finally notice the presence of the watchful students. The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher took another step up, ready to unfold the scene even more. She addressed everyone with her proclamation. “Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared! Cornelius will want to take immediate action.”

I kept my fists clenched and stormed back into the Great Hall with all the students. The trio and my friends took a seat in the table again, not sure what to say. All the kids were murmuring about the recent events while Ron casually munched on a piece of toast. “What do you think that was all about,” he asked.

Fred shrugged. “Dunno. The toad is such a toad. She keeps taking away our products. Selling them around her will be hard now, Georgey.”

His brother snorted. “Oh, Freddy, we always figure out a way!”

I sighed. “Why is she so set on having the Ministry involved at Hogwarts?”

Hermione frowned but dodged the question. “Do you have the scars, too?”

I furrowed my brows at her, thinking of the new lightning bolt tucked away from the world under the collar of my robe. She stretched out her hand and picked up mine, flipping it around to reveal the marks. My face fell as I slowly nodded, not feeling up to creating a cover story for it. “It says, ‘Respect is for those who deserve it.’”

“How awful,” Hermione mumbled, shaking her head disapprovingly and in a sad concern.

Ron scowled. “Woman’s a bloody monster.”

“Look what she’s doing to you guys,” Rayne piped in. “To the whole school.”

In that instant, dozens of owls came pouring into the room, swooping down on the tables as they dropped letters and packages. Each landed with soft thuds before taking back off out the windows. I looked up to see Addie flying my direction. She landed on my empty plate, slightly opening her beak so the white envelope fell in my hands. She gave my fingers a small peck before flying off with the others.

“Who’s it from,” Harry asked.

I flipped it over to read the scrabbled hand writing. It read “Padfoot.”

“It’s from Sirius.”

I tugged on the flap, pulling out the parchment inside. Rayne and Harry curiously leaned in to read it.

Hi Rosalie.

Harry wrote to me – it’s only been the first week and already there’s enough to write a letter about? Seems like your days are becoming eventful.

How have you been? I can’t believe you’re in Slytherin – I’m disowning you if you become one of them. I can’t imagine you as one of them, truth of the matter. It’s probably been rough with them around you all the time, we were all shocked when we heard about the Sorting Hat’s decision. You must tell me why it felt like switching you.

We’ve all been worried about you two. The Order continues to have meetings – I read in the Daily Prophet that Dolores Umbridge is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, is that so? She’s a putrid woman – I had to deal with her during my trial. Monstrous – hope she’s not causing trouble although it’s doubtful. Have you noticed she looks so much like a squashed toad?

I suggest you find a way to talk to Dumbledore about these reoccurring dreams (and sometimes visions, in your case). If they mean something, he’d know best.

For now, stay safe. If anything with You-Know-Who comes up, I’ll let you know. I’ll try to come in contact with you before break, soon enough.

Padfoot.

PS: Molly says to tell you she’s begun knitting your gift. I see green, so prepare.


I frowned at the letter. “I miss him.”

Harry chuckled awkwardly. “So, he’s disowning you.”

I rolled my eyes at his humorous attempt, trying to hide a smile.

“Yup. He’s sending me to the Weasleys.”

He chuckled and Rayne tapped my shoulder. “Hate to interrupt your sibling bonding, but we have to get to Potions before Snape murders us.”

I scoffed. “Don’t worry. I plan to at least take advantage of this one perk of being a Slytherin. He won’t kill me – he loves me.”

Ron snorted, almost spitting out his pumpkin juice as he threw the goblet on the table and wiped his mouth. Hermione, smiling, slapped his arm. Rayne giggled and pulled on my arm, dragging me out of the emptying Hall. I waved to the Trio and ran down corridors and down the familiar dungeon.

Image

That afternoon, Umbridge had seemed incredibly giddy, and it wasn’t in a good or innocent way. The whole day this bugged my mind as I tried to figure out what she was up to. Another thing to add to it was how troubled the Professors seemed in their classes, especially McGonagall.

That same afternoon before dinner had started in the Hall, I had been walking with the twins who were throwing firecrackers. We had spotted several students eyeing Filch who stood atop a ladder, hammering a plaque onto the wall. With the bold word “Proclamation” blaring the top of it with the Ministry logo, it read, “Dolores Jane Umbridge has been appointed the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor.”

None of the students were sure what it really meant, yet I had a hunch it was something unpleasant.

The next morning my thoughts were confirmed. I sat at the Gryffindor table, conversing with Rayne when snickering came from behind us. I turned to meet eyes with Crabbe, Goyle, and Malfoy.

“If it isn’t the fake little snake, Potter,” Crabbe spat.

“What do you want,” I asked with a snarl. Harry, Ron, and Hermione eyed them with hatred as Draco smoothened out the newspaper in his hand and waved it in our faces.

“Haven’t read the Prophet yet? Wouldn’t be surprised you can’t afford your everyday copy,” he sneered, laughing.

Harry opened his mouth to throw a comeback but I put my hand up, my expression hardening. “What’s on the Prophet?”

He threw the paper on the table, getting it covered in toast crumbs before walking away with his posse, chuckling. I grumbled and snatched the paper from the table, ruffling it out to read it.

My mouth opened slightly as I scanned the title. A picture of Umbridge and Cornelius walking flashed through the paper. “Look at the title,” I said as I threw the paper at my brother and his friends.

Harry took a moment to read through it and scowled. Hermione frowned. “’Ministry Seeks to Reform Education.’ ‘Parents Endorse Ministry Move.’ ‘Minister Fudge Puts Education in the Front Line.’ What is wrong with the Ministry? Do they not realize they’re not doing anything to help the school?”

I shrugged, turning to the table where she eyed us, giggling and smirking evilly while sipping from her chalice. I made a disgusted face and turned back to the group in front of me. “The witch wants to take over Hogwarts, and her ‘partner-in-crime’ is scared of Voldemort. Nothing else to it.”

Ron took the paper from Harry and scoffed as he recognized the boy walking next to Fudge. Percy Weasley proudly strolled down the elegant marble floors of the Ministry, attentively and approvingly listening to the Minister. I had to remember he was an assistant for the Cornelius.

“What a two-faced prat, of course he’s on their side,” the redheaded boy mumbled.

“He’s a daft dimbo,” Fred agreed.

“He never has fun, he’s not on our side,” George protested.

I diverted from the topic, uncomfortable with the third eldest Weasley son. “Now that Umbridge is a High Inquisitor, she’s going to have all the authority she pleases. No wonder McGonagall has been so upset.”

A pale girl walked to the table, tugging on her Ravenclaw robe that covered her colorful striped top and jeans. She had bright blonde hair with small waves, and a dazed look to her figure. “Hello guys,” she greeted. Her voice was soft and like silk.

“Hi, Luna,” Harry murmured. He turned to me. “Rose, I believe you haven’t met. This is Luna Lovegood.”

I gave a small wave at the girl and she smiled warmly, her bright eyes twinkling. “Hello, Rose. It’s nice to finally meet you.” She changed back to addressing everyone. “Have you guys read the paper?”

The four of us nodded slowly. Luna sighed. “I’m not fond of the idea, either. Like with the nargles.”

I furrowed my brows. “What are nar-“ I began, but Harry nudged my ribcage and I grumbled, not bothering to finish the sentence.

“How do you think things are going to be now that she’s the Inquisitor,” Luna asked, her voice still velvety.

Hermione looked down. “Honestly? Not good. "
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm updating from my phone this is very hard.
So ew Umbridge is an Inquisitor now ew ew
BUT ROSE AND LUNA FINALLY MET WOO
Thank you to misfitchild and the lioness as always for your lovely comments!
I'm gonna try to update once a week from now on as well as make longer updates so keep an eye out!