The Curious Closet Case

01.

The humans didn’t see it, but after they had lost their clothes and their minds and fallen in a heap on the bed, the vaguely pale blue thing slithered from under the bed sheets to the floor. They didn’t see it drop and scuttle with tiny little claws, similar to a small bird’s, before flattening out the blueness that seemed to be its body and sliding under the closet door.

Inside, the thing seemed to pant and gasp for breath even as it began shaking itself wildly to regain form in the small, darkened room. A faint blue glow pulsed softly where it’s heart would have been, under a scarred neck. Small clawed hands reached out as the creature slowly began to explore it’s surroundings, not sure what it would find in the closet of a twenty year old woman who still lived with her parents.

It tugged out a coloring book, tilting it’s head at the bizarrely colored ponies in a field of pink grass. Pushing the book out of the way, the creature began to take a cautious step or two forward, halting when it heard something scrape across the floor.

“Who’s there?” the creature hissed, his coloring immediately changing from cool blue to a bright, fiery red. The dull glow in his heart became a full body glow a small, almost clay-like skeleton against the wall came into view.

The creature’s defenses seemed to light up as it jumped to the top of a gymnastics trophy and stared down, teeth and claws (which seemed more impressive now) bared. “Who are you?” it demanded. “What do you want?”

“Just to talk,” the skeleton answered. “It’s lonely in here.”

“Oh.” Slowly, keeping eyes on the set of bones at all times, it climbed down the trophy and crouched down across from the skeleton. “Hello.”