Legend of the Grey Wolf

Howling high on a mountain top,

I walked through the woods towards a new town, humming the tune to Hungry like the Wolf by Duran Duran. I chuckled at the irony, although my sister found it annoying.

“Belle, can you just stop?” Aime said, irritation laced in her voice. I laughed. My mother was french, and my father was Russian. Aime was my half sister after my father died in a war with another pack. We all were named after french words. I was named Belle, for beauty. My brother was also named Beau, which is the masculine version of beauty. Aime was named after love, and our other brother was named Gris, after his grey fur. Beau shared my dad while Aime and Gris’s father was Yashar. He was nice enough.

“You’re the one who volunteered to come along with me.” I chuckled back. We were on a quest, or I was anyways. When wolves turn eighteen, they have the ability to find their mate. The only difference with me though was every male in the pack who was unmated suddenly thought I was their mate, although I felt a pull to none of them. I needed to find out what was wrong with me, and Beau told me of a witch who would know what was wrong with me.

My heart ached for Beau, I missed him. We were connected at the hip, but when my own brother started thinking I was his mate, he knew he couldn’t come with me on this quest. So he sent Aime. Gris was mated to a beautiful she wolf named Jen. He offered to come with, but I didn’t want him leaving Jen. So now, it was just me and Aime.

“Can we stop soon? I’m hungry.” She whined. I sighed, but nodded. Aime was almost 15. I felt almost bad that she came with but I knew I could protect her.

“I think there is a town in a couple of miles. They’ll probably have a mcdonalds or something.” I said to her as she smiled. We looked nothing alike, she took after Yashar, a lot. While she had a short brown pixie cut hairstyle, I had long blonde waves in my hair. My eyes were dark brown like my dads. While Aime was a good 6’2, I was a short 5’1. I had a small wolf while she had Yashar’s powerful bloodline.

Soon we arrived in a small town and I subconsciously wrapped the coat I was wearing tighter around me. Without the trees blocking the wind, it was cold. It was late and Aime practically dragged me towards a karaoke bar. Although I’m the one with the singing voice, she loved to sing. She didn’t care that she sounded awful which made me admire her.

When we got in, all eyes were on me and I groaned. Although humans didn’t have the mating bond, they sure stared at me as though I am a piece of meat. Aime grunted. I turned my head towards her and she had a permanent frown on her face.

“I love you and all Belle, but its a serious buzzkill when all the men are attracted to you.” She mock glared at me and I rolled my eyes.

“These guys are way too old for you anyways. You need to wait for your mate.” I joked and started walking towards the bar. She quickly grabbed my elbow and spun me towards the dance floor with her where tons of drunk people danced along to the slurred voice of a man singing some Katy Perry song.

Aime threw her arms in the air and started awkwardly wiggling back and forth causing me to laugh. Aime wasn’t a whore and was completely freaked out by the thought of grinding with a boy. I always joked that grinding with a boy is a milestone in every young girls life. I danced just about as awkwardly with Aime. Eventually, she let me pull her towards the bar.

“What can I get you lovely ladies?” The bartender said while not breaking eye contact with me. I shuddered under his gaze, which made me completely uncomfortable. He looked confused. “Mate?” I froze. What were wolves doing here? Aime didn’t seem to hear as she started listing off everything she wanted.

“I want a burger with bacon and cheese, the biggest one you have. And a huge basket of fries, and a bunch of chicken strips and wait, can I made that two burgers? Oh! and a coke!” She giggled. The bartender pulled his confused gaze away from me and to Aime. He looked shocked but gave her order to the cook, who also looked skeptically at Aime. “I’m going to dance!” She said before getting up and shuffling back to the dance floor. I tried to get up but the bartenders grip on my wrist stopped me.

“Mate?” He sounded so hurt. “My name is Kellin.” He said as a huge smile grew on his face. I leaned over so I could talk to him quietly, I hated having to do this.

“I, Belle Stone, reject you Kellin …” I paused not knowing his last name. “Yeah.” His expression was horror struck.

“Belle?” His voice cracked. I sighed.

“Look I’m not even your mate and-” He cut me off by tightening his hold on my wrist and glaring.

“You are a rogue on our territory.” His before hopeful voice was covered by a hurt and angry one. I glanced over at Aime, who was looking right at me terrified. I noticed the guy holding her wrists, but he was looking right at me. I gave her a small nod, to warn her to comply with the man and let Kellin drag me out of the bar. We were tossed in the back of a black van and when the door closed, Aimes body instantly was rocked with sobs. I scooted closer to her and let her rest her head on my shoulder as I wrapped my arms around her and she sobbed. I wanted to punch myself. My dad had taught me to check my surroundings and make sure I wasn’t in a packs territory but I wasn’t thinking. When the van stopped, I was relieved to see a woman open the back doors and let us out. Aime muffled her cries and wiped her tears away, leaving a stern blank expression on her face. I gave her a warm smile and let the woman lead us into a pack house. We stayed silent.

A couple growls and barks coming from the room the woman was leading us to caught my attention. One of the growls was definitely Kellin’s but I wasn’t sure of the other one. The woman gave us a cold glance before shoving us in the room. I instantly recognized the other wolf as the man who grabbed Aime.

“She is MY mate.” Kellin growled as they circled each other. The other wolf growled but looked away from Kellin, giving me a soft loving look which just made me sick.

“Enough.” I squeaked. This caused Kellin to look at me, as if he just realized my presence. I pulled Aime closer to me, needing her support. “Kellin I rejected you and I don’t know your name but I reject you too.” I said softly, but with their hearing I know they heard me. “So stop fighting.” I muttered.

“Mine!” I heard someone yell and soon I was wrapped up in someones arms and Aime was ripped away from me. He was behind me and his nose was buried into my neck as he was sniffing. I pulled away.

“Not yours!” This is why it took less than a day for me to leave. I couldn’t handle this.

“Mine!” Kellin growled at whoever was behind me, but it took one look for Kellin and the other wolf to drop their heads in submission. I turned curiously at the man behind me. He was probably a couple years older than me. He had messy brown hair and forrest green eyes. He observed me carefully, up and down as if he was taking me all in.

“What is your name?” He finally asked. I could feel the superiority in his voice and my wolf wanted to submit. I fought it, but Aime’s voice rang out behind me.

“Her name is Belle and mine is Aime.” She said finally. He glanced up at Aime as if he was just realizing she was here. He turned to the wolf next to Kellin.

“Jules, take Aime up to one of the pack guest rooms. The rest of you, leave.” He ordered. Soon, the few wolves that were in the room were gone and it was just me and the man before me.

“What is your name?” I asked lightly. He smiled.

“Demetri.” He gave me a sideways goofy smile and pulled me into his arms. I sighed and pulled away immediately.

“Look Demetri, I’m sure you are a great guy but I am not your mate.” I felt pained as I said it. He glanced at me confused.

“I can smell you, you are my mate. Do you not smell me?” He asked confused. I sat down on a throne that was not mine at all and began to explain.

“Every male wolf that is unmated thinks that I am his mate. Even my brothers. After practically getting assaulted at school, me and Aime came to look for a witch one of my brothers told me about that might be able to help me. I really need to find the witch to fix me.” I felt like crying. I was stressed out. He was looking at me curiously as I could feel the headache building up in the back on my head.

“I am alpha of the Black Moon pack. You stumbled onto our territory. You should be thanking your supposive allure because if Kellin didn’t think you were his mate he would have killed you on site. Thats what I order my wolves to do to rogues.” I opened my eyes and observed him. He was running his hand through his hair while the other one was in his pocket. He looked like Beau did when he was holding himself back. I immediately felt bad.

“I’m sorry for our stupidity. We’ll leave, you can go back to normal.” He frowned and ran his hand through his hair again.

“I don’t think my wolf will let you leave.” He said honestly. I stared at him for a second before I came to the conclusion that he wasn’t planning on letting me leave. I stood up slowly and walked to the door. His eyes trailed on me the whole way. “You don’t understand Belle, I’m an alpha. I want to mark you, badly.” His voice sounded strained. When my hand touched the doorknob, he spoke again. “Stay there, don’t run. If you do, my wolf will take over.” I froze and glanced at him.

“This sucks.” I said. He glared, but it was light.

“I don’t even know if I believe you. Maybe you are a witch.” He was reasoning. The door opened and I fell forward catching myself with my hands. Demetri was over to me in a second helping me up. I turned and looked at a boy who was staring at me with wide eyes. He looked a lot like Demetri, only his eyes were more blue.

“Mate!” He said happily and instantly wrapped his arms around me. Demetri growled loudly, he was jealous.

“Lewis, get the HELL off of MY mate.” He growled. The boy he called Lewis took a break from smelling me to look up confused at Demetri.

“Brother what the hell are you talking about.” Lewis sounded angry. After Demetri ordered Lewis to release me and he ran his hand through his hair about a thousand times he explained to Lewis what he had told me. I also learned that Lewis was Demetri’s little brother who was my age. Demetri was twenty four.

“This is beyond frustrating!” Demetri yelled and punched a huge hole into a wall. I flinched, as did Lewis. “LEAVE!” He growled at Lewis who shot me one sparing, love filled look before leaving. “I hate how the men look at you!” He growled again.

“They look at me like I’m their mate.” I squeaked. I was terrified of Demetri. He was bigger, and more powerful. Even though he wasn’t my alpha, he was still an alpha.

“You’re not though, you are mine.” He growled. He threw his head in his hands and when he looked back up he had a familiar glazed look in his eyes, he was contacting someone in his pack. Soon after, a girl who looked to be in her late twenties or early thirties came marching in and looked completely annoyed.

“Demetri. You knew that I was with Jess and you forced me to come?! Unbelieveable!” She snapped. He looked up at her saddened.

“Kelly, meet Belle. She is my mate. Will you take her up to my room, don’t let any men see her. Then I need you to look for something for me.” He filled her in on what was wrong with me, I suddenly felt like a science experiment about to be poked and prodded. My breathing got quicker as I caught on that Kelly was a witch. I squeezed my eyes shut and desperately tried to mind link Beau or Aime or even Gris but I knew that because I left pack territory, it wasn’t going to work. Soon, Kelly dragged me away.