Furthest Thing

one ;

A young woman sat in Primanti Brother's, barely touching the food she had ordered. Her eyes were locked on the giant television hanging on the wall beside the bar. The town superstar was being interviewed about the Olympics and his return to the city. She barely listened to the words he was speaking about the upcoming trade deadline and how it felt to be a gold medalist once again. His fast moving lips were captivating her. Even through a television screen, he had no trouble casting his trance over her.

She hadn't heard from Sidney Crosby since the night before he left for Russia. With a lingering kiss on the soft skin stretched across her cheek, he was gone.

"I don't understand why you have to act like this," he said, running out of options. His fingers combed through his dark hair before he replaced his hat on the top of his head. He let out an exaggerated sigh.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she countered with a roll of her strikingly green eyes. Sidney always compared them to snake eyes, but he would never tell her that. Though the words left her mouth, she actually knew exactly what he meant.

"Juliana, I can't take this anymore," he now rubbed his hand over his face. She watched as he fidgeted under her suffocating gaze. "I care about you but it's causing too much stress in my life. You know I don't need that right now."

And she understood that. Juliana had her reasons. The girl had felt so alone in the passing months. Sidney had so many other things to focus on. She was the last thing on his mind. Craving his attention so terribly, she started fights. She made up scenarios in her head and got worked up over them. And her motives worked until now. Juliana never stopped for a moment to think that he would eventually get fed up with her antics.

"I dunno, maybe we should just stop whatever this is before it gets out of control," Sidney reasoned. Juliana felt maybe he was speaking more to himself than her now. Her heart raced in her chest, sending her thought process into overdrive. She couldn't let him just walk out on her now.

But Sidney Crosby did just that. He promised his companion a call when he returned home. Begrudgingly, she wished him luck and safe travels. His lips found her flushed cheek, and he left through her front door.


Juliana wasn't going to call him first. No, she couldn't afford taking a shot to her pride like that. She didn't have much left anyway.

It was desperate. She felt pathetic. Sidney had never even made them official but he always knew how to make her feel special regardless of the absence of a title. He got her tickets to his games and even introduced her to his mother. Even still, not once had he ever taken her on a real date. She liked the chalk that up to the fame. She had convinced herself it was better to stay out of the public eye.

Juliana had grown to adore Sidney over the months they had spent becoming closer and closer. She found herself falling for his little quirks. Juliana was one of the few people in Pittsburgh who got to meet the real Sidney Crosby. When he was with her, he wasn't a superstar anymore. He was just a normal guy with a normal girl. And Sidney loved that. He craved their time together more than he would ever let on. She was always there for him when he needed her, even if it was just for a late night phone call when he had too much on his mind to sleep.

But he could never admit that. He would never do that to his pride. Because no matter how many fans scream his name every night, or how many highlight reel goals he scored, Sidney still felt insecure deep inside. He feared he would never find someone who could tolerate his limelight lifestyle. There wasn't many aspects of his life that was kept out of the news, but Juliana was one of them and he liked it that way. Sometimes he hated being on high demand. Most days, Sidney just wanted to be a normal guy with a normal girl. He thought maybe Juliana was the closest woman to perfect that he'd ever find.

Maybe that was most of his problem. He had such high standards and frankly, Juliana found difficulty in reaching them. He expected her to be too perfect. Every time Sidney realized she wasn't exactly up to par, he cut her off again. It never lasted long though. He always went back because let's be honest; he didn't have anyone else who understood him quite like she did. Sidney was scared that she could possibly disappoint him, therefore he would simply shy away without warning.

And that drove Juliana crazy. She could never tell if he was in or out. His mood swings wouldn't be tolerated much longer before she bursted at her seams.

It had been a long day at the bakery Juliana owned in Station Square. A high school girl she had hired didn't show up for her shift, leaving her boss to fill in for her work.

It was almost eleven by the time she finally got home. Juliana sighed, collecting her mail before she unlocked the front door to her tiny house in Monroeville. She kicked the door closed behind her and then carelessly tossed all of her belongings onto the small kitchen table.

Pouring a glass of wine, she allowed herself to get lost in her thoughts for the first time all day. A certain face burned in her memory just as her phone vibrated.

She dug through her purse, making a mental note to organize her things at some point. Juliana finally found her iPhone under her wallet.

He laid in bed with his eyes open. Letting out a soft groan, he rolled over onto his side. His hand absentmindedly fetched his phone from the side table. Sidney Crosby had finally become too lonely for his own good.

'I miss you.' He read over the simple three words and then hit send.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should I be starting another story? Of course not. Am I going to start another story? Absolutely.
Anyone who knows me on this site knows when I start writing about Sid, I mean business. Enjoy. Comments please :) I need Mibba friends