‹ Prequel: Smile for Me
Status: Ongoing

Smile With Me

Been A Long

Eventually we’re visited by Robin, the new one. I wake up to find him standing at the edge of the bed, watching me. The scream I give out makes my ribs twinge. I reach out for a knife before remembering that the Hood still won’t let me have one.
“What the…what the hell? Get out of here!” I hiss, eyes darting from side to side as I search for the Hood.
“Hood’s not here right now,” he tells me, crossing his hands behind his back.
“He’s going to kill you for being here, then. He doesn’t like people in his space.” A few weeks, and I already know that.
“He lets you in. You guys seem to be close.”
“I’m an asset. Not a friend.” I tilt my head and grin at me, knowing most people find my scars unnerving. To his credit, he doesn’t flinch. “I’m more friendly with the Joker,” I lie, “so you should get out.”
“You hate the Joker, and he’s going to come looking for you.” Robin’s words are clipped and precise.
“I know. Please go away.” He turns with a swish of cape, looking back at me over his shoulder. “Hood can’t keep you safe from everything.”
“I don’t expect him to.”

I can’t sleep after that, so I get up, check around the apartment to see how Robin got in. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. I hope Red Hood doesn’t kill Robin. He seems very young, too young to be involved with this. I think of Joker, and what he’s already done to one Robin, and wince.

When Red Hood comes home I’m curled up on the couch, watching children’s cartoons. I’m laughing, which feels good, if a little weird. He tosses his helmet aside and settles next to me, smelling strongly of gasoline.
“How’re your ribs?” he asks without preamble.
“Better.” I’m wondering whether I should tell him about Robin’s visit when he sits up very straight, eyes darting to a corner of the room.
“Who was here?” he asks sharply.
“Robin.” He nods slowly as I tense, hoping he won’t explode into temper. He glances over at me.
“Relax. I’m not gonna kill him. I’m on better terms with the Bats now.” He sneers anyway.
“He wanted to know why I was with you, what we’re doing about Joker. I told him nothing.” He grins.
“Nice job.”

He heats up pizza for dinner, the first unhealthy food I’ve had since I got here. I savor it. We end up on the couch again, curled on opposite sides. His face is thoughtful and sad, so I stay quiet, drift off as Jerry hits Tom across the face with a hammer.
My dreams are filled with flashes of the Joker, but they never evolve into full on nightmares. I realize the reason why when I wake up. Hood has his hand around my ankle again. He’s awake this time, watching an infomercial that involves eggs. He takes his hand away when I speak up. “Hey. Uh…thanks.”
“You were moving around.” I get up, carefully.
“Are you just sitting here watching infomercials?” He blinks at me, surprised, before shrugging.
“Yeah. Guess I was thinking about something else.” I don’t ask what.
“Alright. Let’s change the channel to something more interesting, hm?” He nods, so we watch Princess Bride instead.