Odette is Dead

Odette

I threw my axe through a zombies head, feeling the mist of blood cover me and smirked. This is what happened to me, Odette. I don’t know my last name. When the infection first started, I was five. When my parents were infected, the fifteen year old neighbor boy took me with him and we set out to find utopia, the safe zone. Of course, when that 15 year old neighbor boy died when I was 12, I turned into this Odette.

Being alone can make people crazy I suppose. I mean, I never even killed a zombie before he died, and now I come out with nothing but a small pistol for emergencies and an axe to kill for pure sport. Seeing as I have lived six years alone now, I think I have reached maximum crazy.

I heard a gurgling noise from my left and spun, swinging my axe and watched as the creatures head went flying. I was standing alone surrounded by bodies and deciding that I was hungry, I decided to go home.

Home for me was a waffle house, mainly because it was my favorite restaurant when it was up and running. I made a mental note to find the headquarters and steal the recipes. I walked down the empty road. Although it was day, zombies still came out. For true sport where I would actually consider myself in danger, I would come out at night. I usually kept more than a small pistol on me though.

The sound of tires screeching got my attention. My head jerked to the side as I saw a truck driving crazy fast down the road. It had been years since I had seen another car, usually when I did the people kept going. Unlike all the movies and books that people made about zombie apocalypses in the before period, we didn’t all band together. Maybe in utopia, if that even exists.

Seeing a zombie come stumbling out towards me, I decided to ignore the truck that would most certainly keep going and advanced towards the zombie. Taking off his head wasn’t easy since he was over a foot taller than me, and the mist of zombie blood made me smile.

“Are you okay?” I turned to the truck to see a concerned man in the truck bed. There were two men in the two front seats, both looking at me curiously.

“Wow, people.” I said out loud, I meant to say it to myself.

“Get in.” The man said again. I cocked my head to the side and lifted the axe up to my shoulder. I didn’t respond, so he kept going. “Where is your group? Are you on a supplies run?” He head kept looking left to right.

“Greg, we have to keep moving.” One of the men in the front urged.

“Uh, I don’t have a group and no. If you need supplies though, I can show you a place.” I walked up to the truck and climbed in the back.

I don’t know what made me so curious about the men but something compelled me to go with them. Maybe it was because they were people, or maybe it was because I was bored with my waffle house life.

“Are you alone?” The man the called greg yelled over the rush of the wind. I nodded.

“I have been for awhile.” I spotted a cross bow in the corner of the truck bed and picked it up completely intrigued. I hadn’t seen a crossbow in years since I had to leave mine behind in indianapolis. “This is a recurve right?” He nodded and looked at me.

The old Odette would have been self conscious. I know I haven’t bathed in a while, my blonde hair was long and stained red in dry clumps. I could feel the blood drying on my skin and my outfit wasn’t exactly ideal. While these men were all in thick uniforms I could compare to military uniforms, I was in a ripped shirt that was ripped to show my stomach and a pair of old jean shorts I stole off of a dead woman.

“Its right here.” He told the men to pull off into one of the old walmart parking lots. I went here when I needed things, and it was a great place to play zombie killer.

When I started climbing out the back, Greg grabbed my arm.

“Where do you think you are going?” He sounded nervous. I tilted my head to the side, confused. “You are an unarmed female, you will stay in the locked truck.” The other men didn’t disagree, they just got out and looked me up and down.

“I’m not part of your community. I just decided to help out and show you where walmart is here.” I grabbed my axe and jumped out.

“We got trouble boys.” One of the other men said as a herd of zombies started moving towards us. I smiled and swung my axe over my shoulder.

“Come on, don’t leave me to all the fun.” I said smartly to the boys who looked like scared puppies. They must not have much experience with the dead. I swung my axe at chopped off one of their heads and continued to do so to several others. I did notice a few falling with arrows through their heads, but I didn’t hear any gunshots. At Least these boys aren't complete idiots. Once the last one had fallen, I again threw my axe over my shoulder and started making my way to the wal-mart. I was starving.