Odette is Dead

Leslie

When I saw the truck pull up, I let out a sigh of relief. I hated when the men went out on runs, especially Greg. Women and men came running out of their makeshift homes to greet their friends or boyfriends, as did I.

The door swung open and a girl stepped out. She looked young, maybe a few years younger than me. Her hair was light, but the dry blood in it made it look clumped and messy. Her skin was sheeted in blood and her blue eyes looked around at us all curiously. She held the handle of an axe which was sitting on the ground. Her lack of clothing was appalling and she looked like she hadn’t eaten in weeks.

Pud, Francis, and Greg all got out looking sheepish. The glanced around at everyone before they spoke.

“Everyone.” Greg said loudly. Small side conversations ended. “This is Odette. She will be spending the night because her home is most likely overrun by zombies and she saved our butts so I offered.” I walked up to Greg and looped my arm around his waist happily.

“Hello Odette, I’m Leslie, Gregs girlfriend.” I smiled warmly at the girl who looked at me curiously. I looked and saw my parents walking up and smiled. “This is my dad Jack, and my mother Kellie.” She nodded respectfully.

“Babe, you think you could help her get cleaned up?” Greg said warmly. I nodded and weaved our fingers together. She just stared at our hands and grabbed her bag, letting me lead her. I noticed she dragged her axe along, and part of me wanted to tell her she really didn’t need to, that this is a safe area but I knew that she would still carry it so I decided not to bother with it.

The water was red around her. When she got to the lake, she went underwater and stayed there. After a couple minutes and when the water was a big red pool around her, I got nervous. Then of course she broke the surface and started using the soaps she took on her supply run and I started noticing how beautiful she was.

Although she was extremely thin, her hair was so blonde it almost looked white. Her eyes were dark blue against her pale skin and she always had a curious expression on her face, as if she didn’t understand what was happening.

She climbed out of the water completely naked, and she barely blinked. Her breasts were large, well larger than mine which made me frown.

“Clothes?” She asked lightly. I nodded, suddenly feeling dumb and handed her one of my outfits that I thought would fit her best. The fabric of the old twins baseball shirt I gave her was strained over her breasts and baggy over her stomach, the opposite of me. She ended up having to make a belt out of a stray vine for the pants because they were so big on her hips. I never felt like I was a big girl before but watching her struggle in my clothes sure did. “Thank you.” Her voice was strong.

“Where do you come from Odette?” I asked lightly. She shrugged.

“Mississippi. You?” I smiled, proud of my family.

“Montana, my mom and dad got me and my brother out of there and we found this community.” I paused, and filled her in. “Pud in my brother.” She nodded and shook her wet hair.

“You guys seem happy.” Her statement didn’t sound happy, and it didn’t sound jealous. It sounded genuine which made me get a sad smile.

“Well, as happy as you can be when you watch one of those things rip off your puppies head.” She scoffed and then laughed. Her laugh sounded almost sinister. “Excuse me, that is extremely rude.” I defended.

“What? Poor Leslie watched the things rip off her puppies head? You do realize those things used to be people just like you right? They deserve dignity, and they deserve death.” Her statement made me angry.

“Dignity? You were covered in the blood of them when you came in, their blood in in the lake you just rinsed off in.” She laughed again and started walking away. She turned and started walking backwards.

“I did say they deserved death, I never said I didn’t enjoy being the reaper.”