Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

Take My Hand

My third and fourth period, (aka advanced english, ick, and calculus) was spent worrying about how horrible meeting Alex and his friends at lunch is going to be. I mean, Alex says he likes me as a person, but what will his friends think? Would they think I’m weird? Or that I’m too normal for them? Though Alex seems pretty normal… Am I normal? Did I brush my teeth today? Or put on deodorant? What if they think I smell? Is it hot in this classroom? Why am I sweating all of a sudden? Why am I breathing so hard? I stood up, nearly falling over from sudden dizziness, and walked out of the classroom; ignoring all of the stares and the teacher yelling at me to sit back down. Once I was outside the classroom, I ran to the girls restroom and fell to my knees. Everything around me started closing in, my breathing became harder and I felt like I was dying. Already feeling like I was going to pass out, I became dizzier and my stomach screamed in agony because of the pain it was feeling. A few minutes later, I blacked out.

When I came to, I opened my eyes to a white ceiling. I wasn’t on the restroom floor anymore, because I was now in a, weirdly uncomfortable, bed. I sat up on my elbows and looked around. No one else was in the room, including the nurse. I was alone, so instead of just leaving like any other student would, I laid down again and waited. I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up, Alex was looking over me.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asked, backing away a little as a I sat up.

“Yeah, I think so.” I said, holding my head. Great, now I have a headache. Though, something dawned on me just then. “Alex, how did you know I was here? And why are you here?” He looked down for a second before looking up at me.

“It’s almost time to go home, Kat.” did he just give me a nickname? “When I didn’t see you at lunch, I thought you ditched. Then, some girls walked by saying how they found a girl in the bathroom passed out on the floor. I asked them who, and they said your name. When I asked what happened, they said they didn’t know so I came to the nurses office and sure enough here you are.” I looked at him, and noticed he was blushing. Just a little, but enough for me to notice.

“Alex, it’s sweet that you care, but...why? Why do you care about what happened to me? As far as I’m concerned, we’re just partners on a writing assignment. I shouldn’t be important to you. Even though I asked if we were friends now, why are you? I’m just a nobody who got partnered with a popular guy.”

“Like you said, we are friends. Friends care about each other, so I care about you. You aren’t a nobody either, you just aren’t noticed. I noticed you.”

“Yeah, when coach paired us together. Also when our teacher in creative writing paired us together.”

“Sure, it was those moments when I noticed you, but I at least talked to you. Other people would just say one word and never speak to you again.” He smiled at me. “Look, point is, we’re friends now and you aren’t alone anymore.” I smiled and looked down at my hands in my lap.

“Oh, it looks like you’re up.” The nurse walked in and my head snapped up. “You seemed to have suffered a panic attack. Your teacher said you looked pale and you were stumbling. When these two girls brought you in, they said you were drenched in sweat and passed out on the bathroom floor.” I nodded slowly as she explained. “Do you have a history of panic attacks?” I looked at Alex first and then back at the nurse before nodding.

“Yes, I have. Ever since I was around six years old.” I could feel Alex staring at me but I couldn’t look at him. “I’ve also been diagnosed with anxiety, clinical depression and an eating disorder. I’ve recovered from the eating disorder but as you can see, I have problems with anxiety and depression still.” Great, now Alex will think I’m a huge freak.

“Well, it didn’t seem to affect you too badly. You’re free to go when you’re ready.” The nurse walked to her desk and started writing in her notebook about my incident. I got up off the bed and grabbed my backpack, probably delivered from my teacher. When I started walking out the room, Alex grabbed my wrist.

“Let me walk you home.” He smiled slightly when I looked at him.

“You don’t think I’m a freak?”

“Nah. Come on, let’s go.” He took my hand and led me out of the room. When we entered the crowded hallways, filled with students getting ready to leave, we gained a lot of stares. My face lit up like a firework and Alex just seemed to shrug it off. We walked down the hallway and through the doors and out of the school. Walking down the sidewalk towards my house, I realized Alex and I were still holding hands. I pulled my hand away from his and he didn’t notice. We kept walking in a comfortable silence until my house came into view. Standing in front of my door was my father, and the color drained from my face when I noticed.

“Lex,” I said, starting to panic. I ended up grabbing his hand and squeezing it. Alarmed, Alex looked at me.

“What is it?” I started turning back the other way.

“Please, we need to go somewhere else. I’ll explain later but please.” I tugged for him to follow me. He started walking with me the other way and started asking questions.

“Kat, what’s wrong? I thought your house was right around the corner.”

“It is, but I can’t go there. Not right now, I’ll explain later.”
“Okay…” I could tell Alex was worried and wanted a right away explanation, but I couldn’t right now. “Here, we can go to my house. I know a shortcut.” We started jogging, and we didn’t stop until we reached his house. When we were inside, I finally could breathe.

“Alex, are you home sweetie?” I heard a female voice ask, probably his mother.

“Yeah, mum, I’m home. I have a friend with me, I hope that’s okay.” Alex said while taking off his shoes. I stood there awkwardly as his mom walked into the foyer.

“Oh, hi dear. Are you Alex’s girlfriend?” My face flushed pink and I tried to get something out but my voice wouldn’t project.

“No, mum, she isn’t. She’s a new friend I met today in gym and writing.” Alex stood back up from untying his shoes and kissed his mom on the cheek.

“I’m Katherine, nice to meet you Mrs. Gaskarth.” I managed to finally say. She smiled gingerly at me.

“Just call me Isobel, dear. Nice to meet you as well. I’ll be here, you guys have fun.”

“Okay, mum.” Alex mumbled. I giggled and he led me to his room. Once he closed the door he sighed. “I’m sorry for my mum.” I smiled.

“It’s fine. I like her.” I sat down on his bed and pulled out my notebook from my bag. I grabbed my pencil, opened to a page in my notebook, and started writing.

“What are you writing about?” Alex asked as he sat next to me.

“Our assignment. I decided I would write down details about you. I will only say things you approve of.” I wrote down Alex’s favorite color and animal, along with his favorite bands.

“Speaking of the assignment, which is to get to know each other; I want to get to know why we ran from your house.” I stopped writing. “Kat?” I sighed and put down the pencil and notebook.

“When we were in view of my house, I saw a guy standing on the porch.” I started.

“Yeah, I saw him. Who was he?”

“My douchebag of a father.” I remembered my black eye. “And the ‘jerk’ who gave me the black eye you see on my face.” I felt Alex tense up beside me.

“Are you fucking serious?” I nodded.

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me, Lex, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to tell you everything yet. We just started this friendship, and I’d rather not have it ruined by my past.”

“You can tell me everything when you’re ready. Whether it be right now or in a few weeks. Your dad is an ass. Does your mom know he’s there?” He asked, snaking an arm around me, pulling me into a side hug.

“I’m not sure… I should call her. You don’t mind do you?” He shook his head and I pulled out my phone. Dialing my mom’s number, I grew anxious as it rang. On the fourth ring she picked up the phone. “Mom?”

“Katherine, honey, are you alright?” my moms voice coming through to my end calmed my nerves.

“I’m fine, mom. I’m at a friends house rig-”

“You made a friend? Congrats sweetie!” she interrupted.

“Mom, shut up for a minute.” I hated being rude, but this wasn’t a laughing matter. “That asshole of an ex husband and father is at our house. Whatever you do, please do not go home.”

“He didn’t see you did he?”

“No, I made Alex turn around with me when he came into view right away. We’re at his house now and I have no idea when that d-bag is leaving. I know I can’t stay here though.” I could feel Alex looking at me. He got up and exited the room and headed downstairs.

“Well see if you can. Wait, he’s a boy?”

“Yes mom, he’s a b- that’s not the point!” I sighed in frustration. “I’ll see if I can, but if I can’t, where do I go? Will I just meet you at another hotel?”

“Yes. I’ll see if I can stay at a co-workers place tonight, but if you can’t stay at his house, have him take you to the Holiday Inn near us.” My mom always knew what to do.

“Okay, momma. I love you.”

“I love you too, be safe.” She hung up right as Alex walked back in.

“Alex, I hate to ask bu-” Alex stopped me.

“You can stay the night. You can stay as long as you need.” He smiled. “I explained the situation to my mom and she said you can.” I was nearly in tears.

“Thank you, Lex.” I hugged him tightly. “Wait, I don’t have any clothing with me.” I pulled back.

“It’s okay. You can borrow a shirt of mine and we can wash your jeans. I’m sure we have some extra toothbrushes also. As for pajamas, you can borrow some of my stuff. It might try to fall off of your body though.” He smiled and sat on his bed. I sat next to him and leaned my head against his shoulder.

“Where am I sleeping?”

“Guest room. Though, don’t hesitate to come in here if you need anything.” I called my mom to tell her I could stay and we said I love you before saying good night.

“Okay. I’ll be back in a minute, I’m going to go thank your mom.” I said to Alex. I got up and walked towards the door.

“She’s in the living room.” Alex mentioned.

“Thanks.” I walked down the stair and found his mother in a chair, reading. “Isobel?” she looked up from her book.

“Yes?

“I just wanted to say thank you. For letting me stay and everything. My dad is a really bad guy and he isn’t safe. My mom is alright, she’ll be staying at a hotel or co-workers tonight so no need to worry about that. But, yeah, thank you. For everything.” Isobel stood up and walked over to hug me. I hugged her back tightly.

“You are welcome here any time. You can stay as long as you need.” I nodded my thanks and returned to Alex’s room; where I walked in on him changing shirts.

“Uh..” Alex turned around and immediately started blushing. He threw on his shirt quickly.

“Sorry, I thought I had enough time to change. At least I had my pants changed on time.” I laughed and sat on his bed.

“Do you mind if I use your shower? After today, I need it.”

“Go ahead. Towels are under the sink, shampoo and conditioner are in the shower. My mom has a few razors, unused, if you need them.”

“Thanks. Where’s your bathroom?” I asked, standing up from his bed.

“Last door on the right, down the hall.”
“Thanks.” I grabbed the shirt he was handing to me and walked out of his room.

-Alex’s POV-

When she walked out of the room, I breathed a sigh or relief. I picked up my guitar and started strumming different cords. Soon enough I was singing any song that came into my head. I didn’t notice Katherine standing at my door entrance until I looked up from my guitar.

“Kat,” I breathed.

“I didn’t know you sang. Or played the guitar.” She smiled. I looked at her, like really looked at her. She was in just a shirt, my shirt, and her long dirty blonde hair ran down to her chest. I noticed before she had blue-slash-green eyes and honestly, they were beautiful. She was beautiful. It’s weird, feeling this way over her. I’m usually the guy who sleeps with girls and dumps them the next day. She didn’t know that yet, but she will soon enough with this assignment. I hope that it doesn’t ruin what we have now. I wonder if she was beginning to like me.

“Yeah, I do. I’m in a band also.” I set down my guitar and patted the spot next to me. She sat next to me and smiled.

“I remember, you told me during class today. What’s the name of your band?”

“All Time Low. Our name was inspired by an New Found Glory song.” I smiled sheepishly.

“Head on Collision?” she asked excitedly.

“Yeah, that’s the one.” she squealed a little.

“I love that song!” She laughed at her own outbreak.

“So, lets play twenty questions. We need to know each other.” I said.

“I don’t need to know you, but I do want to know you.” When she said that, I swear, my heart skipped a beat. So for the next couple of hours we played twenty questions. I ended up telling her about my brother, who had died a few years ago. I shed a couple of tears, to which she hugged me and told me it’s okay.

“So, I told you about my brother. Will you tell me about your dad?” I saw her tense up. I touched her hand and she relaxed.

“Only if you promise me that you won’t run from me.”

“I swear. Anything we talk about tonight, stays between us.” She breathed in and out twice before speaking.

“Well, where to start. I was around five years old. I was sleeping in my room, when my dad came in. I pretended to still be sleeping so I wouldn’t get in trouble. He climbed into my bed and he..” she paused and breathed in. “He started touching me. Feeling me. In that moment, I changed from being his five year old daughter. I changed into his five year old victim. This kept happening and I had told my mom about it, but she didn’t believe me. Not at first.” She paused again and I grabbed her hand. I squeezed it to let her know I was there for her.

“Then one day, she came home, and she caught him in the act. I was being raped by him. He.. he raped me. I just turned six. I was aching all over. I mean I was a little girl, being raped by a grown man. I was traumatized. He had hurt me before hand. He gave me bruises and I was bleeding in few places. He stopped when my mom walked in. He threw me to the ground and I broke my arm. He beat my mom, trying to tell her that if she called him out, he would do horrible things to us. My mom stayed with him, only if he promised not to touch me ever again. He didn’t. Until I turned ten. He raped me again and my mom caught him again. She called the cops, and he was arrested. The first time was when I was six, which led me to have panic attacks whenever he was around me. After he went to jail, we moved here.

“I developed depression shortly after we had moved, and I had stopped eating also. I was disgusted with myself so I thought that not eating would remove any dirty thing inside me. I was sucking the life out of myself by not eating. I started cutting myself when I was in ninth grade, which was two years ago. I stopped last year, and I’ve been put on medication. We have lived in peace here, in Towson, until a few days ago. My father was released and he had found us. I don’t know how, but he did. He wants revenge. On me, and my mom. That’s why I can’t go home, and that’s why I have panic attacks and I have night terrors too.” She was sobbing now, so I pulled her into my arms and I hugged her tightly. I kissed her head and whispered to her that everything is okay. I can’t believe anyone would hurt her like that. Her father was a sick man.

“Shh, it’s okay. He can’t hurt you. I won’t let him.” I whispered, rubbing her back. She calmed down a little and was quietly crying now, but with an occasional hiccup. I just held her until she stopped crying. When she did, she looked up at me and mustered a smile.

“I’m sorry for the breakdown,” she started but I cut her off.

“Don’t be. What happened to you was horrible and traumatic. I understand. Just know that he can not hurt you.” She nodded and leaned in against me again. That’s when her phone went off.

“It’s my mom, I have to take this.” I nodded. “Mom? Yeah, I’m fine. No, well yes, but it’s because I explained everything to Alex. What? How? He is? Do you know how long? Okay. Wait, what? You want me to stay with Alex? What about you? Yeah. Okay. Yes ma’am. I love you too mommy. Bye.” she sighed, but I couldn’t tell if it was relief.
“My mom said my dad was caught raping another girl, this time a teenage girl. An off duty officer saw him and stopped him. My dad is in jail again. This time, he’s in it for a long time. Ten years. It’s fucking unfair. He deserves more time for all of the shit he has done.” I nodded. “and on top of that, my mom says we are moving out. She wants me to stay with you, and she is going to get an apartment for her and I. Until then, I need to stay with you. We can go to my house tomorrow and get my things, while the rest will be in storage until we move. She’s just going to stay at her co-workers house until then also.”

“So I guess we’ll be roommates until then, huh?” I asked.

“Yeah, I guess so. I hope that’s okay with you. It could take a few weeks, or even months until she finds a reasonable priced place for us to live in.” She looked down. “I don’t want to be a burden.” I cupped her face in my hands and made her look me in the eyes.

“You are not a burden, and like my mom said you are welcome to stay as long as you need. Okay?” she nodded. “Good. It’s been a long day, why don’t you get some sleep?” She nodded again. We stood up and I walked her across the hall to the guest bedroom. “Good night, Kat.” I said, turning around to go back into my room.

“Alex?” I stopped.

“Yeah?” I turned around, and she hugged me.

“Thank you for everything.” she said before kissing my cheek and disappearing into the guest bedroom. She closed the door and I walked back into my room, flopping down onto my mattress. A few weeks and or months Kat right across the hall? I could get used to it. This was going to be a long adventure was my last thought before I passed out.
♠ ♠ ♠
second chapter! extra long c: tell me what you guys think !
Do you think Kat will fall for Lex like he is for her?
They're roomies now, how scandalous.