Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

I'm Falling In Love Alone

-Alex’s POV-

“Alex,” I heard a girl’s voice, and a shove on my shoulder. “Alex, wake up; we’re going to be late.” My eyes fluttered open to find Katherine leaning over me, shoving me slightly. “Hurry up and get dressed, your mom made us breakfast.” She said, walking towards my door. I propped myself up on one elbow and wiped my eyes with my free hand. I looked over at Katherine, who was standing in the doorway. She was wearing her grey skinny jeans from yesterday, my Blink-182 shirt, my black hoodie and her maroon All Star Converse. Her hair fell past her breasts and her black eye looked a little better. She wasn’t wearing any make-up, but she still looked gorgeous. “Stopped staring at my ugliness, Lex.” Did she think she was ugly? “Get dressed; I'll be downstairs.” She turned around and walked out.

Once I heard her going down the stairs, I got up and closed my door. I walked to my dresser and pulled out a plain black short sleeved shirt and some skinny jeans. After getting dressed in under thirty seconds, I put on my socks and my black All Stars before grabbing another one of my hoodies and walking to the bathroom down the hall. I brushed my teeth and messed with my hair until it was perfect. The whole process of getting ready took no less than five minutes.

When I came downstairs and entered the kitchen, I saw Katherine already eating. She smiled at me as she chewed and I grabbed a plate of eggs and two pancakes. I sat next to her at the table in the dining room next to the kitchen and started eating. We finished at the same time, grabbed our bags and headed out the door to go to school. We walked in a comfortable silence all the way to Dulaney High. It was Friday, finally, and today was the first day of October. So the air was warm, but not hot; chilly, but not freezing. It was really nice out, and I was glad.

Entering the school, people stopped and stared. Katherine noticed right away and froze in her place. She was anxious, I could tell, so I nudged her with my elbow. She looked at me, and I smiled at her. She relaxed and we continued walking to our respective locker rooms. Along the way, people whispered. I ignored them, but Katherine looked really nervous at this point. Before she entered the girls locker room I stopped her.

“Don’t worry about what people are saying okay? People talk shit but they don’t know anything. I’ll see you in the gym.” I smiled at her and ran to the boys locker room. After changing and running out into the gym, I sat on the floor and waited for the girls to come out. When they did, I could only see Katherine in the group. Maybe it was the black eye that made her stand out, but she was the only one I actually cared about in that group of girls. She gave me a sad smile when she saw me and I frowned. Why was she sad?

“Alright, today we’re staying in the gym. We will be working in groups of four, chosen by myself, and we’re going to play basketball. The first groups is…” I decided to tune out the coach until my name was called. I really hoped I was paired with Katherine. “Alex Gaskarth, Liam Abrams, Devon White, and Casey Ames.” I heard a girl squeal quietly, no doubt the girl was Casey. I sighed, frustrated and upset that Katherine wasn’t in my group. “Aaron Stephens, Katherine Evans, Lyra Sinclair, and Evan Kendall.” I looked over at Katherine and she seemed to be okay now. I wonder if she’s upset that she didn’t get put into my group. “Okay, now get together in your groups and wait until I say which groups are going first.” Coach dismissed us and standing up I went over to Liam.

“Hey dude.” I said. He nodded at me and Devon showed up. Casey ran over and immediately started talking to me.

“Hey, Lex, isn’t great that we’re on the same team?” She smiled and stood a little too close to me. She was cute, I’ll give her that, but she wasn’t Katherine. I saw Katherine in her group and Aaron was talking to them.

-Katherine;s POV-

“Okay, guys, just remember to steal the ball when you can and don’t commit a foul. Don’t feel bad if you miss or mess up, because it’s just gym class.” He smiled and I ate it up. He was so cute, like really cute. He had sandy brown hair and the most gorgeous blue eyes I have ever seen. I couldn’t help but smile when he talked.

“Alright, Aaron. I’ll be fine, as long as this slut doesn’t touch me.” Lyra spat at me.

“What are you talking about?” I said, offended and upset. I wasn’t a virgin exactly, but I have never slept with a guy. Or have had a relationship really. I haven’t even been kissed!

“You and Alex were seen walking to school together and seen coming out of his house this morning. Don’t get too caught up in him, he’s just going to drop you like every other girl in this school.” Lyra laughed, enjoying herself.

“We didn’t sleep together, you’re just making shit up. We are friends, nothing more. You have no idea what is going on with my life, so don’t act like you know everything.” I was beyond frustrated at this bitch.

“I’m sure that’s the truth. You’re just trying to deny it!” she said.

“Lyra, shut the fuck up. If she says she didn’t sleep with him, then just fucking leave it.” Aaron said to Lyra. Lyra huffed and walked off to talk to her friend in another group. Evan was no where in sight so it was just Aaron and I.

“Uh, thanks, Aaron, for defending me.” I said shyly. He smiled at me. Jesus Christ he was sexy.

“It’s not a problem. She was being a bitch.”

“I swear, though, I didn’t sleep with Alex. He is honestly just a friend, well, a new friend as of yesterday. He’s helping me out because my mom and I are in a tough situation. It’s..hard to explain and I really don’t want to get into detail.” I stopped myself from keeping on with my babbling. My face was turning pink and I wanted to hide.

“Hey, I believe you. I’m not judging you, either. Would you like to meet with me after school? Let me take you for coffee? Or do you not drink coffee?” Was he asking me on a date? After school?

“Wait, why? We just met and I mean, I’m not sure what Alex’s mom would say to that since I’m staying there for a while. Why me?” My face was bright red, and I could see Lyra and Devon walking back over.

“I want to, and because I think you’re pretty cool. Plus, this way you can explain to me your situation.” He smiled. “You can ask Alex to tell his mom you’ll be out.” I nodded.

“Okay, I’ll meet you at the front of the school at 3:30?” He nodded. I couldn’t believe it, I just got asked to go for coffee by a ridiculously cute guy. Everything was starting to turn my life around, and it was amazing, yet scary. I’ll be okay, right?

-Alex POV-

I was early to creative writing, and when Katherine walked in, she had a smile on her face.

“Why so happy?” I asked, a bit jealous of the person who made her happy.

“I’m going for coffee with Aaron after school. He defended me today after that bitch Lyra accused me of sleeping with you.” What?

“Oh, well be careful.”

“Why?” why? Because she could get hurt or be taken advantage of or something.

“Just because. You haven’t even known him for more than an hour and you’re going out for coffee with him. What if he hurts you?” She rolled her eyes at me.

“Lex, I can defend myself. I know he and I just met and don’t know about each other but that’s what this coffee thing is for. It’s not a date, so I’m not calling it a date.” She smiled and touched my upper arm. “I’ll be okay, Alex. Could you tell Isobel that I’ll be back by eight though when you get home?” I sighed and nodded. “Thank you, Alex, you’re the best.”

“I know.” I joked. “Just promise you’ll sit with me at lunch so you can meet Jack and Rian. Oh, and Rian’s girlfriend, Kara.”

“I swear I’ll be there.”

-

“I don’t see her anywhere.” I said, scanning the cafeteria for the one billionth time for Katherine.

“Dude, chill. She said she’d be here.” Rian assured me. Rian was seated across the table from me, and was joined by his girlfriend, Kara. Rian had shaggy hair and it covered his eyes sometimes. He really needed a buzz cut or something. Kara was a pretty girl; she had brown hair and brown eyes and a tan skin tone. Looking around one more time before giving up, I finally saw Katherine walk into the cafeteria. She smiled when she noticed me and walked over.

“Hey, Alex, sorry I took so long. I had to use the restroom and then Aaron stopped me in the hallway to remind me about meeting up after school” She sat down next to me and smiled at Rian and Kara. “Hey, I’m Katherine. I’m guessing you’re Jack and Kara? No, wait, you’re holding his arm and stuff, so you must be Rian. Sorry.” She laughed and shook Rian’s hand.

“Yeah, I’m Rian and this is Kara. Jack should be here soon. He always has to use the restroom before he comes to lunch and when he takes longer it’s usually because he’s taking a du-” I cut Rian off before he could say it.

“Dude, I’m about to get lunch. Don’t spoil it for me.” I said. Katherine laughed and decided to join me to get our food.

“Rian seems nice.” She said as she put a banana on her tray. I nodded and we paid for our food. When we got to the table, Jack was just sitting down.

“Okay, so this is Jack?” Katherine asked me as we sat down.

“Yup. Jack, meet Katherine.” I smiled.

“Hi, Katherine. Alex has been texting me non stop about you.” I glared at Jack.

“No I haven’t. He’s exaggerating. I was telling him that you’re cool and that you might help us write some songs.” I rolled my eyes.

“If you want me too, I guess I can help.” She said shyly.

“Awesome! Well, we have band practice after school today, do you want to come?” Jack asked excitedly.

“She can’t.” I said.

“Aww, why?” Jack looked at her with a puppy dog face.

“I’m meeting a friend for coffee.” She said, smiling.

“He isn’t your friend, Kat. You just met him today.” I said angrily before realizing how stupid I am. We met yesterday and became friends.

“So we aren’t friends? We met yesterday and became friends.” She said, a little ticked off.

“I know, I forgot that it happened yesterday. I’m sorry.” I said.

“It’s fine, Lex. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine, just like I told you.” She smiled softly at me and then turned to Jack. “I’ll come see you guys practice another time. I promise.” Jack smiled and hugged her, which caught her off guard because she let out a tiny scream.

“What? What’s wrong?” Jack asked, pulling away quickly.

“I’m sorry, I’m just not used to being hugged like that, or at all. I’m not used to being touched, I didn’t mean to worry anyone.” She said, her face turning pink from embarrassment.

“It’s okay, I’m sorry for making you feel uncomfortable.” Jack said, smiling. She smiled back and started eating. If only Jack knew why she was like that.

-Katherine’s POV-

It was 3:30 and I was waiting at the front of the school for Aaron. I was really excited because, well, he was a cute boy and I was going to be hanging out with him for the next couple of hours. Did I like him? I feel like I might. Maybe if I got to know him better.

“Hey Kitty Kat, are you ready to go?” Aaron came up from behind me and smiled. I nodded and we walked to the coffee shop a few blocks down the street. Once inside, I ordered a hot chocolate which he kindly paid for and he had gotten himself a regular cup of coffee. We sat at a little two-person table and already I was asking questions.

“Why me? I mean, the real reason.” I asked. He sipped his drink before answering me.

“I told you, you seem cool and I wanted to. You’re cute and you don’t seem to be a slut which is great. That and you are one of the few girls at Dulaney who haven’t slept with Alex.” He laughed.

“Alex isn’t a bad guy, I hope you know. He actually was there when I woke up in the nurses office yesterday to see if I was okay.” I said.

“I know he isn’t a bad guy, but he is a bad guy when it comes to girls. He sleeps with them and dumps them the next day.” Alex really does that? “I saw him checking out Casey earlier, in the gym today.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, she’s like obsessed with him. A lot of girls are because he’s so popular. I mean, I’m popular with a lot of the girls also, but I’m more of a relationship type of guy.” he leaned back in his chair, sipping his coffee.

“I’ve never been in a relationship. To be honest I’m scared to be in one.” I looked down at my lap.

“Why?”

“If I told you, you would probably run far away from me and never speak to me again or call me insane and crazy.” I admitted.

“I’ve heard a lot of crazy shit. I can handle it.” He said, propping his elbows up on the table.

“If I tell you, will you promise not to tell anyone?” He nodded and I bit my lip. I usually never was quick to tell anyone about what happened. I told Alex because I felt like I could trust him. He had told me about his brother, so it seemed fair. But Aaron? I had no idea about him. Could I trust him? Well, if this continues, him and I, I’d have to tell him sooner or later. I leaned in, so I could whisper it to him.

“My dad..he raped me when I was a child.” I said quietly. I saw his face go from friendly to shocked.

“Are you serious?” he whispered back. I nodded. He put his hand over mine. I smiled slightly, as his attempt to comfort me. “I’m so sorry. My sister went through the same thing, except with our uncle. It traumatized her.” I looked at him with sad eyes.

“Did she ever recover from it? Is she better?” I asked and he didn’t answer. He was looking at anything but me. “I’m sorry, did I say something wrong? I didn’t mean to like make you upset.” I said, sincerely sorry.

“No, it’s just..she never recovered. She ended up taking her own life two years ago because of it. She just couldn’t recover from the trauma. She stopped eating and she started cutting and eventually she just couldn’t take it any more. She blamed herself for it; saying that she had made him upset and she deserved it. It was never her fault, he was just a sick man.” I could tell that this was hard to talk about. I got up from my seat and hugged him. He seemed surprised at my gesture, but he hugged me back.

“I’m really sorry that you lost her, I’m sure she was a great person.” I whispered to him. He nodded and didn’t say anything. I decided we should ditch this place and go to the park. “Hey, let’s get out of here. Let’s go to the park.” I smiled slightly and grabbed his hand, to which he agreed to. We took the short walk to the park and sat on the swings. We sat there in silence for a few minutes before he spoke.

“Thanks, for not running when I started to get a little emotional.” He left out a laugh.

“I wouldn’t ever run. You went through something terrible, and you needed some comfort. You didn’t run from me, so why would I from you?” I smiled at him. He understood me, because of what his sister went through. It’s sad to know she isn’t here anymore, but at least she’s free of the trauma.

“Thank you. And thank you for trusting me, with what happened to you. Does it play a reason on why you’re staying with Alex?” I nodded.

“Yeah, see my dad wasn’t arrested until I was ten. It started when I was six. After he had gotten arrested, we moved here to Towson. He was recently released and he found us. He’s the reason I have this black eye. He said I’m the reason why he was in jail and that I shouldn’t have ran to my mom about it. Technically I am the reason he is in jail. I was the one he was raping. But in reality, it was his fault. He decided to commit a crime. Anyway…” I paused. “He had come back to my house last night and Alex had walked me home. When I saw him I made Alex turn around and we ended up at his house and my mom told me I needed to stay there for at least a few weeks. My dad ended up getting arrested again, for raping a teenager and an off duty cop caught him. So while my mom looks for a new apartment for us to live in, I have to stay with Alex. We’re going to get my stuff over the weekend, enough for a while at Alex’s and the rest will be going into storage.”

“Damn, that’s some complicated shit. I’m sorry.” Aaron said.

“It’s alright. Alex’s family is being kind enough to actually let me stay with them. They’re so nice and understanding.” I smiled.

“So Alex knows everything?”

“Yeah, well I can’t exactly run from my house without giving an explanation. We also are paired up in creative writing and our assignment is to get to know each other. So we played 20 questions and ended up spilling everything.”

“Do you like him?”

“What?”

“Do you like him? Like that?” Aaron looked down, slightly blushing.

“No, why?” I was confused.

“Well, after today, I really want to keep getting to know you. I wanted to ask you if you would like to go out, on an actual date, Sunday night?” Wait, he wanted to go out with me? Not on a friendly date, but like an actual date?

“I’d love to. I just have to get the clear from Isobel.” I smiled widely.

“Isobel?”

“Alex’s mother.”

“Oh, okay. So it’s a date.” he smiled and took my hand. I squeezed.

“Definitely.”

-Alex’s POV-

It was almost 7:30 when Katherine finally came back.

“Hey, you’re back. I thought you were gonna leave me all alone.” I joked and she shoved me.

“You’re an idiot if you think I’d up and leave just like that.” She rolled her eyes. “Where’s Isobel? I need to ask her something.”

“Upstairs in her room with my dad. What do you need to ask her?” I was curious.

“I’ll tell you later okay? I just need to get an answer from her as soon as possible.” She disappeared upstairs and I followed after her. Instead of eavesdropping though, I went into my room and waited. Just a short minute later she came in and sat next to me on my bed.

“Okay, so what did you ask her?” I said, irritated.

“Who got you all irritated?” she giggled. “I had to ask her if I could go out on Sunday. She said I could, I just have to be back by nine.”

“Where are you going?” I arched an eyebrow. It was probably..

“Aaron asked me if I wanted to go on a date, so I said yes.” she smiled. “I’m so excited!” I was a little angry now.

“Why did you say yes?” I asked.

“Because, we want to get to know each other. I kind of told him about my situation and everything. He understands it and he understands me, to be honest. He’s nice and I want to see where it goes. I’ve never been in a relationship or even have been kissed.”

“Okay…” I wasn’t happy about this, and even more unhappy at the fact she had no feelings for me. “Just be careful, and I guess I’ll be supportive and excited for you.” I sighed.

“Oh, Lex, what a gentleman.” she rolled her eyes. “But thank you, it means a lot.” She smiled and I smiled in return. She was so close to me, our arms were touching and I could smell the sweet flowery scent in her hair from borrowing some of my mothers shampoo. Her eyes were gorgeous today; they were more blue than green today. Her lips were the perfect shade of pink and damn, did I want to kiss her. I was about to just say fuck it and kiss her, but she spoke before I could. “I’m going to go shower and get into bed. I’ll see you in the morning, Lex.” She got up and walked to my doorway. She turned around and flashed me her gorgeous smile. “Good night Alex.” She disappeared and I sat there, in awe of how powerful she was against me. You are in some deep shit, Alex, I thought to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Third chapter! Yeah, I know I'm a bitch for giving Katherine a different love interest. I needed to make this interesting. Alex is falling for her hard and Kat is falling for Aaron. There's bound to be some drama eventually.
Kat's outfit