Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

Break Your Little Heart

-Katherine’s POV-

I came to in a hospital bed, with Jack’s head next to my body asleep. Don’t worry, his head was attached to the rest of his body, it was just his body was in the chair and leaning over to my bed. I sat up and pushed Jack softly. He stirred and his eyes fluttered open.

“Kat, you’re awake!” He said jumping up. I grabbed my head and ‘shh-ed’ him.

“Jack, please be more quiet. My head is killing me.” I said, frustrated and confused as to why my head was hurting so much.

“Yeah, I’m not surprised. You hit your head pretty hard when you tripped in those heels and hit the concrete.” Jack explained. It was all coming back to me now. What Lisa had said, what Alex had said, and what I had said. I groaned. I had gotten drunk enough to say all of that.

“Alex hates me now, doesn’t he?” I asked, knowing what the answer was. I was positive that he does.

“I don’t think so, Kit Kat.” Jack started. “I think he’s just mad at you for telling Lisa about the kiss and rubbing in why she broke up with him. It didn’t help that you assumed she doesn’t have feelings for him. He knows you were drunk, though, so I don’t think he hates you.” I sighed.

“He was my first friend in over five years, Jack. What am I going to do?” He pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back.

“I think you should apologize to him, Kat. If things are sour between you two for a while, you can always hang out with me and only have to see him at school and when you get home from being with me. You can also hang out with Aaron, or we can all hang out.” He smiled at me and I smiled slightly back. “It’s going to be okay, Kat.” I was about to speak when the nurse came into the room.

“Oh, good, you’re up. You don’t seem to have a concussion but you do have a sprained ankle from tripping in those heels.” I hadn’t even noticed that my ankle was wrapped up and propped up on a pillow until she pointed it out. “You’re free to go after you change into some actually clothing. We’ll mail your bill to your mother if you fill out this form also.” She handed me a clipboard with a form and a pen. I filled it out quickly and handed it back to her before having Jack help me get out of the bed. The nurse left and Jack handed me some sweat pants and a t-shirt.

“Do you want me to leave so you can change?” He asked.

“I might actually need some help, if that’s okay. Usually I’d find it awkward, and I guess it is, but I do need help putting on these pants.” I said, face turning pink. It wasn’t my fault I had to change but it was my fault for having a sprained ankle. I still couldn’t change into these pants without falling over at least so I need Jack’s help.

“Yeah, Kat, I’ll help you.” he smiled and even though he is just as much as a perv as Alex, I knew he wasn’t going to check me out in respect for Aaron. Even if he did, I probably wouldn’t notice. I was more focused on changing and getting the fuck out of this place. I quickly changed out of the hospital gown and into the black t-shirt. Jack helped me get into the sweats relatively quick and I slipped on the sandals Jack had got for me when he stopped by Alex’s to grab the other clothing.

Once we exited the hospital, Jack drove me back to Alex’s. “Do you want me to stay and hang out for a while? Make sure you’re okay and you know, help you with getting up the stairs or getting food?” Jack asked, walking me up to the house.

“I’d actually be very thankful if you did that.” I said. Upon entering the Gaskarth household, Isobel hurried to greet us.

“Honey, are you okay? Jack told us what happened and we were worried sick.” She hugged me and I smiled, hugging her back.

“I’m fine, Isobel. I’m sorry for worrying you, I didn’t mean to. I should have been more careful running in those heels.” I laughed. After a “I’m glad you’re okay” and a “me too”, Jack helped me up the stairs and onto my bed in my room. He sat next to me and I sighed. “Was Alex home when you got some things for me?” Jack shook his head.

“No, he wasn’t. I don’t think he is now, either. He’s probably with Lisa still.” I nodded. I figured that would be the case. He probably wouldn’t even care about what happened.

“Jack? What are you doing here?” Speak of the devil. Alex stood at the doorway.

“I took Kat here from the hospital.” Jack said, standing up. I looked at Alex with sad eyes.

“Why was she there?”

“Well after you were a dick, she ran out of the party crying and ended up tripping. She hit her head and I was the one who took her to the hospital and grabbed her a change of clothes last night and came back this morning to check on her.” I could tell Jack was a little ticked off at Alex. I was too, but more so depressed about it.

“It’s not my fault she told Lisa about what happened and rubbed it in about why she broke up with me. Not to mention she made false accusations about her.” He glared at me and I looked away.

“Dude, chill! She was drunk, she didn’t mean any of those things! At least she feels bad about what happened; where as you don’t even care that she’s torn up about it.” I looked at Jack, thankful he was defending me. He understood that I didn’t mean it. Didn’t I? I mean, it’s true she did break up with him for a stupid reason, but I doubt she slept with him just to do so.

“Whatever, dude, I’m done with this conversation. “ Alex walked into his room and slammed the door. I started crying almost immediately and Jack came to my comfort. Alex hated me. My first friend in years and it was over just like that. Jack kept telling me it’d be okay and that he’d get over it but at the moment it was so hard to believe. The look in Alex’s eyes was cold hearted and sent shivers through my body. Eventually Jack had to leave, and I had to get ready for a hopefully good nights sleep. I stayed up for a bit longer, laying in bed and thinking.

I hadn’t spoken to Aaron since Friday, and it wasn’t because I haven’t texted him or called him. He never replied to my messages and I wondered if he was just busy and forgot to reply. I didn’t think much of it and decided I’d talk to him at school tomorrow. We haven’t been going out for long but we had been on a few dates and he had brought me a rose one day at school. He was sweet and I really liked him. I hoped this would last a while.

-

The next morning I got up a bit earlier than usual. I took my time getting ready. I decided to go with one of the shirts I had bought last weekend with Alex and some skinny jeans. I decided against heels considering my ankle and opted out for my maroon Converse.

I decided to curl my hair a bit and put on some make-up. I did it simple and put on some pink lip balm to top it off. I was about to head downstairs when Alex opened his door. He stopped when he saw me and I stopped in my tracks as well.

“Morning, Lex.” I said, trying to be friendly. He glared at me and shoved past me, heading his way to the bathroom. What a dick. I sighed and walked downstairs to make myself some eggs and toast. I finished fairly quickly, because I mean hey. They’re eggs. Alex was down shortly after I finished and I decided to leave for school a little earlier than usual. I walked slowly so I wouldn’t be the first one in the locker room.

It was funny, I thought. My black eye finally went away a couple days before the party, and now I have a sprained ankle. At least no one would be giving me any weird looks. When I finally reached the school, I saw Jack at the front doors. He came down the few steps that were in front of them and helped me up when I got there.

“Thanks Jack.” I smiled. He walked me to class before running off. I had told Coach Ryder about my ankle once I was in the gym and he let me sit out. I hurried to my Creative Writing class as fast as I could with a sprained ankle after gym and sat in my desk. Alex, with no choice but to sit next to me, sat next to me. We didn’t talk all of class and he rushed out of there as soon as the bell rang.

I was debating skipping the rest of the day during third period. I knew it wouldn’t get me anywhere other than in trouble, so I decided against it. About halfway through the class, I really needed to use the restroom so I asked for the hall pass and made my way through the halls to the nearest one. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw what was happening in front of them. I was shocked and I felt betrayed.

There stood Aaron; with his arms about the blonde from gym class. Casey, was it? I brought my hand to my mouth to keep from making any noise. They hadn’t noticed me and I hoped they wouldn’t. At least not yet. Her arms were around his neck and his around her waist. The were making out right in the middle of the hallway, for anyone to see. I felt like I was in a dream and boy, did I want to wake up. It wasn’t a dream though, and I ran back to the classroom.

I didn’t care about anything at the moment so I just went inside the room, grabbed my stuff and ran out of there and out of the school. I ran to the park a few blocks down and threw down my stuff. My hands were tangled in my hair from my pushing it out of my face. I was crying, and not the basic crying. I was down right sobbing with snot running out of my nose. I collapsed to my knees and hunched over. I wanted to throw up. Aaron, my first boyfriend, my first real boyfriend, was cheating on me.

It didn’t matter that we had only been going out for a couple of weeks. I trusted him and liked him and he hurt me. He betrayed me and was cheating on me with that blonde slut. It took about an hour for me to stop crying and to get up from the ground. I grabbed my things and headed towards the swing set. I sat down and looked at the ground. I wasn’t good enough for Aaron as a girlfriend. Aaron cheated on me and Alex hated me. My dad is in jail because he hated me so much for not subcoming to his wants so he decided to take it out on another girl.

Why wasn’t I ever enough? Why did I always mess up? I was punished as a kid, by my father, because I wasn’t ever doing anything right. Aaron was cheating on me because I wasn’t enough for him. Was it because I didn’t want to go farther than a kiss? He had tried getting me to go farther, but I had said no because we hadn’t been together for more than a week. Alex hated me, because, well, you know…

I heard my phone ring from my bag and I dug through it to find it.

“Hello?” I answered, voice hoarse.

“Kat? Are you okay? Where are you?” Jack’s voice came through the other side and at that moment I realized I needed his hugs. He was the only friend I really had at the moment and I needed his friendship right now.

“I-I’m at the p-park.” I said, trying not to break down again.

“I’ll be there in five minutes. Stay where you are.” He hung up and sure enough, a few minutes later he was here. “Oh my God Kat,” he said looking at me. “What happened?”

“A-Aaron…” I said. “He… he c-cheated on m-” I couldn’t finish and Jack pulled me into his embrace. I started sobbing again but I didn’t care. Jack held me and comforted me until I was calmed down enough to talk.

“How did you find out?” He asked quietly.

“I saw him… he was with a girl from our gym class…” I started. “He was… he was kissing her in front of the restrooms… He didn’t see me but I saw him and I just couldn’t take it so I ran back to the classroom and then here.” I was sniffling and Jack hugged me again.

“He’s an asshole, Kit Kat. I don’t see why guys do that to girls.” Jack said, rubbing my back. “Especially to someone like you.” I looked up at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you’re an awesome girl. You’re pretty and you’re funny, not to mention you’re also sexy. You just have a great personality, Kat. You don’t deserve all the shit that’s been done to you.” I had told Jack recently about my past, since Alex kind of brought it up at the party. “I mean, Alex is just being a dick because he takes things too seriously when it comes to that but he’ll eventually come around. Aaron is just a douche bag who feels the need to cheat on girls to get what he wants. Either way, you don’t deserve it.” Jack said.

“You really believe that?” I asked.

“Yeah, and you should too.” He smiled at me.

“I don’t know, Jack. I think I deserved the treatment from Alex.”

“Maybe you do, but I personally don’t think so. You were drunk and couldn’t help it, so I don’t blame you for what you said. I blame the alcohol.” I managed to let out a little laugh.

“Thank you, Jack. It’s really nice to have such a good friend.” I meant it. Jack was a good friend. We had grown close in such a short amount of time and he liked me despite my past and my mess ups. He comforted me and was there for me. Did I like Jack? Of course I do, at least as a friend. But did I like him more than a friend? I think I do, but maybe it’s just my feelings being confused over Aaron and Alex. It was just possible I was putting those feelings towards Jack. I liked Aaron, but Alex was more important to me.

I liked Alex, I realized. I wouldn’t care so much about the situation if I didn’t. I couldn’t like him, though. He didn’t like me and he was being cold hearted towards me. It was bad enough I had to live with him through this stage, but liking him through this stage made it worse.

“Katherine?” Jack said my name, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah?”

“I know you like Alex, I can tell. So why were you with Aaron anyway?” Damn, Jack was good.

“I liked him and I thought I didn’t like Alex but I realize I do.” and possibly you. Ugh, why were feelings so complicated?

-

Two weeks passed by, and it was finally Halloween weekend. Halloween was next Tuesday, but Jack and I were invited to another party on Saturday. It was optional costume, so I wasn’t going in a sexy costume. Jack wasn’t either and we agreed we would go together. I was finally over Aaron and I was ready to get my mind off of things. I wanted to date again. The more Alex pushed me away, the less I felt feelings for him and the more I felt for Jack. We hung out every day and I went to his house on the weekends. We ended up cuddling and watching movies for most of the times we were together.

We weren’t a couple, but it was obvious to both of us that we had feelings for each other. In a way, I felt like I was betraying Alex since Jack was his best friend; but I moved on from Alex. I decided to focus on my relationship with Jack and in doing so, I developed real feelings for him. He was funny and cute. He made me smile and laugh and I always had a good time with him, even if we were completely bored out of our minds.

“So do you want to go shopping today? To get you a dress for the party?” Jack asked, intertwining his fingers with mine as we walked out of the school. I didn’t care about the stares we were getting, I was happy.

“Sure, let’s go now. My mom transferred some money to my card, so it should be enough to buy a dress and shoes.” I smiled. We drove to the mall and hurried to get my dress and shoes. I picked out a strapless black dress that was on sale, and some black wedges. My ankled was finally healed, thank goodness. The dress had padding in the chest area, so I didn’t have to worry about wearing a bra.

After purchasing everything, along with a few new accessories and Jack buying a new shirt, we left and Jack dropped me off at home.

-

It was the day of the party and Jack was picking me up at six. It was around five o’clock when I decided to get ready. I had already showered in the morning so all I needed to do was straighten my hair and put on my make up. I put on my dress, shoes and accessories after I made sure my hair and makeup was perfect. By the time I was done with everything, it was 5:50. Alex had left to get Lisa at 5:30 so I was just waiting for Jack. A couple minutes later, the doorbell rang and Isobel let Jack in.

The look on Jack’s face was priceless when he saw me.

“Kat, you look…” He couldn’t find the right words. I spun around and he laughed. “You look sexy, Katherine. Like, really sexy.” My face turned pink. I did like the outcome of this appearance. I had to admit, I did look pretty good. “Are you ready to go?” He asked, holding out his hand.

“Yes I am, Mr. Barakat.” I giggled and took his hand. On the way to the party, there was only one thing I could think of. Would tonight end like the last party?
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so sorry for taking a bit to write this. I've been busy but I finally got around to it and I swear I will finish this story through. I already know how I want to end this story and don't worry it won't be for a while until it's the end. So Aaron turned out to be the bad guy, and Katherine and Jack are almost a thing. It's like the world just doesn't want Alex and Kat to be together. That's Alex's fault for being a dick and pushing Kat away.
Kat's Out Of The Hospital Outfit
Kat's Finding Out Outfit (finding out Aaron was cheating)
Kat's Party Outfit