Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Fear and loss

"So, what do you think?" She asked turning on Daryl. They had walked a while away from the farm and the question had been bugging her for a while.

"About what?"

"About the barn."

Daryl shrugged.

"Whatever happens happens, I guess?"

Anna was not impressed by his answer but decided to leave it be.
They continued hunting without a word and returned with a good stock of rabbit and squirrel from the snares.
Back at the farm tensions were still high, there were no friendly smiles, no jokes and no happy hello's as they arrived with the meat.

Anna took the meat from Daryl and went to go clean it, leaving him talking with other members of the group.
She sighed to herself as she worked. She was so tired of this, the constant nightmares and stress. Her nails had been bitten down to the nub. She had never had this habit before the turn and didn't know when she had picked it up.

When she had finished she rinsed the blood and fur of her fingernails, it still surprised her how strong her stomach was recently. This was exactly the sort of thing that used to make her puke. Funny how times change. Still, she would kill for a box of chips, smothered in ketchup and mayo.

Her stomach grumbled at the thought and she dried her hands off on her fraying shirt. She was losing herself in her wistful thoughts and therefore, when a flurry of gunshots echoed across from the barn she jumped in her skin.

Her immediate reaction was to run away when she saw the scene playing out at the barn. Rick was holding onto a walker and so was Hershel. Shane was screaming angrily, gun drawn and firing rapidly at Hershels walker. The rest of the group was gathered around them and were yelling wildly as Shane fired of the last shot at the walkers head to finish it off. It almost dragged Hershel to the ground.

Anna watched as he started pounding at the barn doors and felt her feet pounding across the dirt towards the group. Palm already gripping the colt at her belt. By the time she got there the walkers were already spilling out of the barn with stomach curdling groans. She lined up next to Daryl and Andrea and joined them in putting down the onslaught of walkers heading towards her. Each kick of her gun made her want to break down but she plowed through. Not stopping until there were no more horrors left. The Greene family's sobs echoed behind her.

*** Daryl's POV

The stinking bodies of the walkers were scattered across the dirt in front of the barn. The silence that surrounded the group seemed impenetrable. It stretched out before them like a wasteland that they were all too terrified to cross. Anna looked towards her feet with her heart sinking into her stomach and Daryl felt a stab of sorrow for her.

At the sound of another quiet grumble, though, he looked up to see something that would haunt him for a long while. Sophia was limping towards them from the barn. He heard Carol wail in anguish and span around to stop her proceeding towards the thing that was no longer her little girl. He looked away as Rick did what he had to.He felt Carols sobs rather than saw them. He gently released her not knowing what to do. She ran off and Daryl looked towards Anna who was still staring at her feet in what looked like fear.