Status: keeping this alive!

Dreams Only Last for a Night

Chapter Seven

"Alexander Gaskarth?" the nurse inquired behind the smooth marble counter.

Jack nodded his head, sweat beginning to bead on his forehead, even though the air-conditioning was turned up high. Jack bit his lip as he watched the female nurse typed something through the sleek desktop. Every part of Jack's body was worn out from this entire journey.

He regretted leaving Amelia and Beatrice behind, but he would regret even more if he didn't come to The Preserve. It took him a while to get a cab, he sold his car off a long time back. He looked down to his satchel which contained something he wanted to show to Alex. It was the scrapbook. Jack clutched the strap of the satchel as his eyes reverted back to the nurse.

"Um, I'm really sorry, Mister..." the nurse trailed off, leaving Jack to answer.

"Barakat."

"I apologise Mr Barakat, but the person you are looking for, is not residing here anymore."

"Mr Gaskarth transferred over to the hospital downtown just a week ago." The nurse looked up, her eyes full of concern as she awaited a reply from Jack.

Damn, Jack was so close to meeting Alex. He looked at the big clock on the wall behind her. It was almost 8pm, and visiting hours would almost be over now. He drummed his fingers on the counter top, deep in thought.

"Will you call a cab for me to the hospital?" he asked, smiling to the nurse.

She nodded as she dialed a number on the telephone, her fingers dialing the number slightly too quick, as if she knew how important Alex was to Jack.

After another long cab ride, Jack got to the hospital rather quickly. Although Jack wasn't very good at moving fast at this age anymore, he never walked any faster at his moment as he burst through the doors of the place.

He rushed up to the counter and practically yelled out Alex's full name. He got odd stares from people walking past, but Jack couldn't be bothered anymore. The staff at the counter raised his eyebrows, considering whether to ask Jack if he was family. The look on Jack's face was enough for the nurse as he immediately goes to typing onto his battered old computer. The suspense was killing him as the person searched up Alex on the computer, just like back at The Preserve.

"Alexander Gaskarth... He is in Wing B." The staff paused, staring back at his computer screen, before continuing. "Room 209."

After hearing that, Jack literally sprinted to the place. He shoved anybody in the way, ignoring the curses from people. When he got to Wing B of the hospital, he pressed the button to the nearest lift. The number blinked at him, showing the number "8". He yelled in frustration, before slamming the door to the staircase open.

By now, the effects of acting as if he was young again hit him so painfully, Jack was ready to pass out on the stairs. It's only the second floor Jack, he said to himself. He pulled himself through, and burst open the door open on the second floor.

He rushed through the corridor, cursing under his breath as he realised Alex's room was one of the rooms at the end of the corridor.

Then he saw the door with a number on it.

Room 209.

Jack felt his heart drop when he saw it. His heart started thumping, as he reached for the doorknob. He felt giddy, his eyes trained onto the wooden door.

"I can do this." Jack muttered under his breath as he opened the door.

"I love you too, Gaskarth."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yooo, sorry school is really troublesome, I was so busy during this week, unfortunately for me. I hope y'all enjoyed the story and the new chapter!