Disconnected

15

I woke up to the incessant vibrating of my phone and groaned, grabbing it from the nightstand to see that Alex Gaskarth was calling. Confused, I gently removed Luke’s arm from around my waist and left the room, going into the living room to have this conversation so I wouldn’t wake him up.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Hi, Abby, It’s Alex Gaskarth. Sorry if it’s too early.”

“Oh, it’s not too early at all, Alex. What’s up?”

I pulled my legs up underneath me and waited for the singer to respond.

“Well, do you remember during our writing session last week, where we started that song, but decided it wasn’t right for the boys, so we didn’t finish it?”

“Yeah, Alex, I remember.”

“Well, I’m thinking that it will make a good All Time Low song, but I need your help finishing it. I want you to come to the studio soon and finish it with me so we can use it, and maybe write a few more songs. You’re a very good writer, Abby.”

I wanted to pinch myself and scream and cry all at the same time. Alex Gaskarth, the frontman of my favorite band, my hero, wanted me to write with his band. This couldn’t be real life.

“Thank you, Alex! That’s so sweet. I would love to write with you!”

“Awesome! I’m so stoked, honestly, Abby. I’ve been telling the guys how awesome this song is for weeks. I can’t wait to finish it. Does next week work for you?”

“Yeah, next week should work for me! Thank you so much for this opportunity, Alex. Really.”

“It’s really my pleasure, love. I’ll call you in a few days with the details.”

“Okay. Have a good day, Alex.”

“You too, Abby.”

I hung up the phone, and let out a shrill, excited, scream, jumping up and jumping up and down on the couch. Almost immediately, I heard two sets of footsteps running down the stairs, and a tired looking Ashton and Luke appeared at the bottom of the stairwell.

“What’s wrong?” They asked together. I laughed and ran at them, jumping in Luke’s arms.

“Alex Gaskarth wants me to write an All Time Low song with him! Possibly multiple! He’s been talking to his band about me! He likes my writing!” I yelled, freeing myself form Luke’s grip and dancing around the room.

Ashton grinned at me.

“That’s fantastic, Abby! Holy shit!” He yelled. “I told you you’d have opportunities open up for you.”

I grinned and hugged him, turning to Luke, who also had a shit eating grin on his face.

“Abby, babe, I’m so proud of you.” He said quietly, pulling me into his arms again, kissing the top of my head. “So proud.”

Just then, a tired looking Michael and Calum appeared in the room.

“Someone must have been dying.” Michael mumbled. “Because I’ll be pissed if you screamed and woke me up for nothing.”

I laughed and filled the boys in on my news, and they both grinned, congratulating me. Just then, all 4 boy’s phones got a text at once. I raised an eyebrow and laughed.

“It’s like Pretty Little Liars.” I joked, grinning.

Luke rolled his eyes jokingly.

“It’s a text from our manager, Absy.”

“Close enough.” I replied. He laughed as they all read the text, all simultaneously groaning. “Wait, what did he say?”

Ashton sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“He wants us to take a break from writing and go do press in America for 2 weeks.” He informed me, pouting. “Just when we were getting into a rhythm.”

I looked over at all the other boys, who looked just as sad. I sighed and wrapped my arm around Luke’s torso.

“Boys, this is a good opportunity to spread your music and get your name out in America. And it’s only two weeks. Then you’ll be back to writing and I’m sure we can find a rhythm again. Now, cheer up, I’m making pancakes!”

They all smiled and cheered, running into the kitchen. Luke and I slowly followed behind, arms wrapped around each other.

“I’m going to miss you.” He mumbled, kissing my hair.

“I’ll miss you too, Lukie.” I sighed. “Wait, when do you leave?”

He bit his lip and I sighed, knowing what that meant.

“Tomorrow, right?”

“Tomorrow.” He confirmed. I pouted and sighed, standing on my tip toes to kiss his lips quickly.

“Okay then. We’ll just have to make the most of today. Starting with chocolate chip pancakes.”

Luke’s eyes lit up like a child.

“Chocolate chip?!”

“Yeah, baby, chocolate chip. Let’s go eat.”