Disconnected

17

Luke’s POV

We got out of an interview and I checked my phone, my eyes immediately bugging out of my head at the 5 missed calls from Abby. I mentally calculated the time there, and realized that it was 2 in the morning. I cursed, knowing something had to be wrong, and excused myself from the now questioning eyes of my bandmates before dialing her number. She picked up after the third ring.

“Abby, is something wrong?” I rushed out, pacing in the hallway.

“Are you mad at me, Lukie?” She slurred in response. I sighed. How drunk was she? Where was she?

“No. Of course not.” I clenched my jaw. “Where are you, Absy?”

“You seemed mad at me earlier and I-“ She paused to hiccup. “And I didn’t like it. You usually make me smile. I when you smile. It’s my favorite.”

I stifled a chuckle.

“Abby, sweetheart, where are you?” I asked again, biting my lip ring.

“Jack’s house.” She said. “He’s having a party and we did some shots of stuff that tastes like root beer!”

I groaned and rested my forehead on the wall as she continued to talk.

“But nothing tastes as good as your lips, Lukie!”

I did chuckle then.

“Alright, drunkey, I know Jack’s address so I’m gonna call you a cab so you can get home, okay? Don’t drink anything else, even if it tastes like root beer, and wait outside.”

“Okay, Lukie.” She hiccupped. “Are you sure you’re not mad at me? I thought you were, and I was sad.”

“No, honey, I promise I’m not mad at you. I just…” I sighed. “I’m gonna go so I can call the cab, okay, Absy? Text me when you get home.”

“Okay, Lukie! I can’t wait to taste your lips again!” She giggled and then hung up, and I smiled to myself as I called the cab to Jack’s address and then hung up, turning to see Ashton standing there, his arms crossed.

“What’s going on? Is Abby okay?” He asked. I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

“Yeah, she just… She thought I was mad at her and she went out and got drunk with Jack and Alex.”

“But you’re not mad at her, you’re just jealous.”

I sighed and cursed Ashton’s ability to read me like a book.

“Yeah. I always get jealous when it comes to her. I mean, like, she’s there hanging out with these guys she’s idolized for years, and they’re there for her, you know? And I’m not. I just worry that she’d prefer them.”

Ashton laughed, and I glared at him.

“Luke, mate, you don’t have to worry about that.”

“How do you know?”

“I’ve never in my life seen my cousin look at someone the way she looks at you. From the first second she looked at you, I knew. I knew you two were going to be together. You’re it for her, and I can just tell. And I know you feel the same way. Man, you’ve got to let go of your jealousy. Because soon enough, we’re going to go on tour, and then what? You have to be able to control it now. Talk to her about it when we get back, yeah?”

I let out a breath and smiled at my best friend’s sage advice.

“What would I do without you, Ash?”

“I honestly don’t know what anyone around here would do without me. You’d all be hopeless if I’m honest.”

I playfully hit his shoulder and he laughed as the other two boys came out to the hallway and we all left to go home. Just as we pulled into the driveway, my phone buzzed with a text.

I aum hiome in bed watuing for your loips

I laughed and quickly typed out a reply before going inside.

Soon, baby, soon. Goodnight. xx