Disconnected

24

We pulled up to the house, and I almost choked on my own spit at the sight. Luke stood on the front porch, dressed in a tuxedo, a bouquet of flowers in hand.

“W-what is this?”

“I don’t know, why don’t you go find out?” Holly giggled, nudging me out of the car. I grinned and walked up to Luke, who was grinning right back at me.

“Uhm, hi?” I choked out.

Luke laughed and grabbed my hand in his.

“Hi, love.” He greeted. “How was your afternoon?”

“Lukeeee.” I whined. “Just tell me what’s going on.”

He laughed again, kissing the top of my head.

“So impatient.” He joked. “Okay, so, Abby, will you go to prom with me?”

My heart stopped at the question I wasn’t expecting.

“What?” I said dumbly.

“Well, I organized an entire prom for you, so, if you said no, this would be kind of awkward.”

“You did what?”

“There’s a prom. Right now in our backyard. And we’re late for it. Will you be my date?” He spoke slowly and I laughed, bringing his face down to capture him in a kiss.

“Of course I will, Lukie. But I don’t have a dress or anything.”

“Taken care of. Follow me.” Holly, who I forgot was behind us, said, ushering me towards the house.

“I’ll be down here waiting.” Luke said, grinning.

I kissed his lips quickly again before following Holly upstairs. We got to my room and she disappeared into Luke’s room, coming back with two dresses. She handed a gorgeous purple dress to me. I couldn’t believe it. Luke had created a prom for me? I shook my head to rid the tears from falling. Holly noticed and laughed, unzipping the dress for me.

“Wait until you actually see it before you cry, Abs.” She joked. “Now c’mon, step into the dress, we don’t have all day.”

I laughed and wiped at my eyes before stripping and stepping into the gown. Holly grinned and squeezed my hand.

“You’re gorgeous, Abby.”

Then, she pulled her own blue dress over her head and I zipped her up.

“You’re beautiful, Hol.”

She smiled at the comment and then looped her arm through mine.

“Ready for your prom?”

“Ready.”

We walked downstairs and Luke and Ashton were both waiting at the bottom. Luke grinned and I walked into his waiting arms.

“You look amazing, Absy.” He muttered, kissing my hair. “Now, c’mon.”

We walked to the backyard and opened the door, and I stopped, looking around. Outside was decorated in fairy lights and our friends all stood in the yard, dressed in their prom attire. The One Direction boys and Perrie were there, as well as Alex and Lisa, Rian and Cassadee, Jack, and Zack, Calum and Michael, and I looked over to where the music was coming from to see Mark Hoppus. The little shit got Mark Hoppus to DJ my surprise prom. I thought prom was an experience I would have to miss out on, but instead my boyfriend was giving it to me, with all my friends and idols there. I felt the tears start to fall down my cheeks, and Luke was quick to wipe them away with his thumbs.

“These are happy tears, right?” He asked, slightly concerned.

I nodded, trying to regain my ability to speak.

“I-I thank you.” I stuttered out.

“There’s no need to thank me, Abby. I did this because you deserve it. You deserve a prom and you deserve it with people who mean something to you. Just because you’re here helping us does not mean that you need to miss out on any normal teenage experiences. I know that this is far from a normal prom, but it’s what I could do.”

“Luke.” I muttered, wiping my eyes.

“Yeah, Abby?”

“I- I love you.”

Time froze as I waited for Luke to answer me. I knew I loved him. This just confirmed everything. He went through so much effort to make me happy, and I knew I loved him and I wanted him to know. I finally looked up at him, and he was grinning.

“I love you too, babygirl. Always. Now c’mon, let’s go get our prom on.”