Disconnected

23

I woke up to an empty bed and frowned, grabbing my phone and heading downstairs. I laughed when I saw Calum and Michael cuddled up together, asleep on the couch. I quickly took a picture of them, giggling to myself as I put it on twitter. Then, I made my way into the kitchen to find Ashton making breakfast.

“Morning, Ash.” I greeted, sitting down at the counter.

“Morning, Abs.” He yawned, flipping a pancake.

“Do you know where Luke is?” I asked, looking at my phone for any sign of him. Ashton rolled his eyes dramatically and handed me a piece of paper.

“He’s out, but he left this for you.”

Curious, I opened the note and read it over.

Good morning my love,
Sorry I had to run out and do some things, but Ashton is making breakfast, and then you are going out with Holly. Don’t protest, don’t ask questions. You’re going to have a good day, and I’ll see you later. xx


I laughed at his corny note and then looked up at Ashton.

“Why is he being so vague?”

Ashton smirked at me and then shrugged.

“You’ll see, Abby.”

I groaned and trudged back out into the living room to find Michael and Calum awake, but not moved from their spot.

“Thanks for the twitter picture, Abs.” Michael snorted.

“Any time, Mikey. Scoot over so I can join.”

Both boys laughed and moved over so I was tangled with their limbs on the couch.

“Sooo. Boys, do you know anything about what Luke’s doing and why I’m being forced into a playdate with Holly?”

Calum laughed and shook his head.

“Yeah, but we can’t tell you. Just go along with it.”

I groaned again, throwing my head back against the cushions.

“Food!” Ashton sang, coming into the room, plates in hand. We all eagerly sat up and grabbed plates. When I was halfway done eating, my phone vibrated with a text from Holly.

Be there in 10 minutes! :)

I sighed and put my plate down, going to my bedroom to change and brush out my hair. I threw Luke’s flannel over my body and pulled my shoes on just as I heard a knock on the door. I ran down the stairs to find Ashton greeting Holly with a kiss. I fake gagged and they both looked up at me, blushing.

“Ready to go?” Holly chirped.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Holly giggled, linking arms with me and leading me out the door.

“Have fun!” Ashton called after us before shutting the door. We got into Holly’s car and she started driving before I spoke.

“So, where are we going?” I asked.

Holly laughed.

“Do you not do well with surprises?”

“No.” I pouted.

She laughed again, shaking her head.

“We’re going to the mall to get our nails done!” She exclaimed. I bit my lip. I had never in my life gotten my nails done.

“Okay.” I said, a smile creeping on my face. “Sounds fun.”

She beamed as she pulled into a parking space and practically dragged me inside. When we got inside the nail salon, they had been expecting us, and they ushered us to chairs. I didn’t get to pick my nail color, which was weird, but Holly picked a silver color out for me and the nail salon workers started coloring our nails. After a few minutes of silence, Holly began to talk.

“Abby, I really want us to be friends.” She said softly. Softer than I’d heard from her yet. I smiled at her reassuringly.

“I would really like that too, Holly. I mean, it’s nice to have a girlfriend to do these kinds of things with.”

She smiled ear to ear.

“I’m glad. Because you’re one of the most important people in Ashton’s life, and I really want us to get along.”

“Wow, you really like him, huh?”

She blushed and I laughed softly.

“Yeah. I mean he’s so sweet to me.”

“I’m really glad, Holly. Honestly. He’s been through some rough times, and I’m just happy to see him smiling again.”

We were silent again as they finished up our nails. As they were finishing, Holly spoke.

“Hey, Abby?” She asked. I sat up, alarmed at the concerned tone of her voice.

“Yeah?”

“Those girls over there have been staring at us for an hour.”

I sighed and looked over at the girls, one of them wearing a 5sos shirt. I smiled and waved at them, and they looked overjoyed. I laughed and as Holly paid for our nails, I walked over to them.

“Hey! You’re Abby, right?” One of them asked.

“I am.” I responded. “Are you a fan of the boys?”

“Yes!” She said happily. “Uhm, do you think you can ask them to follow me on twitter?”

“Sure I can!” I replied, taking the paper from her hand.

“Hey, who’s that girl with you?” One of the other girls asked. I looked over in Holly’s direction and sighed, not knowing if she would want me to say.

“That’s just my friend. We’re having a girl’s day. I’ve got to get going, girls. It was nice meeting you.”

When I turned around, I heard them whispering, and made out one sentence.

“That’s Luke’s shirt!”

Shit. I didn’t know if he wanted us to become a public thing yet. I sighed as Holly walked over to me.

“You ready for your surprise?” She asked.

“This wasn’t it?”

“Nope. It’s waiting for you at the house.”

“Well, then let’s go!”

Holly laughed at my impatience, looping her arm through mine as we exited the mall, heading home to see what surprise awaited me.