I Was Hoping You'd Ask

Chapter 7

“So you think you’ll be sticking around?” Gibby asked with a laughing tone in his voice. “I can’t imagine when I’ll ever want to leave,” I admitted to him in complete seriousness. He looked at me with agreeing eyes, which made me pretty happy.

“So are you a huge Pens fan or are you just in love with your job?” he asked trying to make small talk I’m assuming. It wasn’t until then that I realized we had been standing there in silence for a while. “Can’t I love both?” I asked laughing. He looked at me with confused eyes “Yeah, I guess you’re right” he answer a little disappointed with my response. “I’m in love with the Penguins, I have been my whole life and I can’t imagine doing what I do for any other team. I love my job, but the fact that I get to talk Penguins hockey all day just makes it that much better.” He looked at me like he was very satisfied with this answer. I hated giving him these long answers because I wasn’t sure if they were annoying or if he was actually interested. His face always looked as if he was interested after my answer. “You’re lucky, just like us I guess. You get paid to do something that is your passion, something that so many people would kill to be able to do. I hope I get interviewed by you more often.” I just smiled at him, thinking how great it was that he cared about my life and actually compared it to the crazy hard job they have out there on the ice. I didn’t know it was anything like what I do. “I hope so too, because that’ll mean that you score more game winners, hopefully.” I said with a little giggle at the end. He looked at me and agreed, “I’ll try my best, just to talk to you for a little bit.” I couldn’t believe he just said this to me. My mind was freaking out but I was trying to keep my face cool as possible, I didn’t want him to know what this comment had done to me. I couldn’t stop looking at his beautiful eyes and the cute smile that he had on his face.

He looked down at his watch, which I took as a sign that he had to get going. “Have to leave?” I asked, he looked up at me with a sad look in his eyes “it’s getting late and I always have trouble getting up for practice” I just looked at him and agreed. “Yeah I have trouble waking up no matter what so I should really get going as well.” We both stood up and that’s when it hit me, “shit” I said to myself but I guess loud enough for Brian to hear me. “What’s wrong?” he asked, “Beau drove me here and my car is still at CEC” I never thought about how I was going to get home and as I scoped the bar for anyone I recognized I couldn’t find Beau anywhere and I could tell Gibby was doing the same. “I can take you back,” he offered. “I don’t want you to do that, you need to get home. I can just take a cab” I replied to him. “It’s not a big deal at all, it’s only 10 minutes out of the way and you never know what creep you’ll run into if you take a cab, I’ll feel better if I know you get there safe”. I never knew Gibby had such a sweet side to him, but it was so great to here and be able to see it. I smiled at him and nodded my head in agreement.

It was a pretty quick drive back to CEC, and I was actually a little happy about that. I didn’t realize how exhausted I actually was until we got to my car and I realized that I had to drive back home.

“I had a lot of fun with you tonight” Gibby said before I could get out of the car. I looked over at him with a quiet smile, “me too” I said with a reassuring face. “See ya, Ali” he said with that cute smirk on his face. I laughed and got out of the car, “good night Gibby.”