Can't Escape My Fate

Chapter 2

Sparring with the other members of my unit was always so boring. I was better than all of them. Maybe not skill wise, but I was faster, and always hit their weak points; so every match ended too quickly. “Can you people at least try to put up a fight?”

“It’s not our fault Lynnette. If you didn’t take us out with one hit we’d be able to put up more of a fight for you.” I glared at the guy who spoke.

“It is your fault. You’re all supposed to be the top fighters; I mean you’re all in the first unit, which is made of the best of the best. As far as I can tell I’m the only one who could stand a chance against the rebels.”

“It’s not like we’re ever going to face them. They’re too weak to do anything. Besides, they don’t know where our compound is while we know exactly where they are. We really are at no risk of them fighting any of us.”

“You’re all pathetic.” I sheathed my daggers and went over to where Myst was sitting. “You ready to go sweetie? I did promise to bring you outside the walls today.”

“That’s illegal Lynnette. You know that better than anyone.”

“I’ll do whatever I so desire.” I waited for Myst to climb off the small stone structure she was sitting on before leading her out of the small sparring area. As soon as we made it past the front gate I relaxed more.

“Is it bad for us to be out here?” I knelt down next to Myst and cupped her cheek.

“No sweetie, that man just wants to have control over everyone. Truth is love; we need to get out of here as soon as possible. We only have a few days to prepare of it.”

“Where are we going to go?” Her light gray eyes shown with excitement; it was the exact same look I got when I knew I was about to do something nearly illegal.

“Remember the town I told you about? It’s across the desert, and it’s safer than being here.”

“And for us to make that journey, we need to prepare right?”

“Exactly, I know the heat can get really bad, so water is the most important thing to have.” I smiled when she nodded in understanding. She really was too smart for her own good, though I guess she got that from me.

“What about the nights…? Even home gets cold at night.”

“We’ll bring extra cloaks for traveling at night. Don’t worry about that alright?” I kissed her forehead and stood up. “Come on, we’re heading a little farther out.” I took her hand and led her to a small rock formation still within view of the compound. “You always want to look for places like this. They can serve as emergency shelter at night, and believe it or not, it’s warmer than being out here. So if things get bad out there, try to find one of these.”

“What would we do for food?” She asked as she climbed onto the smaller rocks.

“I’ll take care of that. But we’ll pack what we can before we leave.” I sat on one of the flat rocks at the base of the one Myst was sitting on and stared out into the desert. There was something drawing me to the town that I kept seeing in my dreams, and even though don’t remember ever being there I knew at one point I was. The sound of multiple people walking towards me brought me out of my thoughts. “Mystic, get into the small cave. Now.” I stood up and glared at the small unit of soldiers from F.E.A.R’s neighboring camp closed in. “Get as far back as you can. I’ll tell you when you can come out.” She obeyed without a sound and stayed perfectly silent.

“I did not expect F.E.A.R to send his own daughter out when we sent word that we would be visiting.”

“He didn’t send me out, I was just going for a walk where I could clear my head.” I hated these men. They had no consideration for women and oftentimes would just grab any legal girl off the streets and force them into bed.

“Maybe you would like to join me then?” I glared at him, and barely managed to keep from electrocuting him.

“I’d rather kill myself than let you touch me you disgusting pig.” The man backhanded me, sending me to the ground. The man stood over me, smirking which only pissed me off even more. I released the built up energy, causing a single bold of lightning to strike the center of the small group. “Mystic, come here sweetie.” I forced myself to look at the dead bodies, just as my daughter ran out of the small cave and to my side. I knelt in front of her and cupped her cheek. “We have to go. We don’t have time to prepare anything. It’s going to be hard, especially for the first few days.” She nodded, clearly scared but whole-heartily believed that I would keep both of us safe.

I picked her up and ran as fast as I could away from F.E.A.R’s compound. If we were lucky, we’d be able to get at least a few hours between us.

Kotta Pov:

I looked up at the faint echo of lightning. There were no clouds in the sky, so logically there was no reason for me to hear anything. Five years and every time I heard lightning I hoped that Lynx would be there.

“I know what you’re thinking Kotta. I miss her too.” I looked up at CC and smiled.

“She’s your sparring buddy, and the only one you’ve ever lost to.” I had to shield my eyes from the sun when I looked up at him. “You think we’ll find anything interesting out here?”

“I want to say yes, but with how things have been lately I highly doubt it.” CC looked out around the area we were in and sighed.

“It’s complete bullshit, Andy knows that if F.E.A.R wanted he could destroy everything. My question is why he hasn’t.”

“Maybe because if he does he won’t have anyone to follow him, I’ve heard from some of the other towns that the shadow demons are taking more and more children. There have been rumors that Lynx has been sighted, but that’s all they are, just rumors. I didn’t tell Jinxx because the poor guy is going through enough shit.”

“He’s been taking the night watches, hoping that she’ll come back. It’s been five years, I mean as much as I want her back I really don’t think she’s coming back.”

“And if I vanished like she did you’d be acting just like him. Don’t give him any shit, she is his entire world CC. There’s nothing wrong with him keeping a lookout for her.”

“I didn’t say there was.” He sighed and headed off in the direction that we had been walking. “I’m just saying the chances of her showing up again are slim to none. I got to give the guy credit though, he’s helped out a lot since he’s been on night watch.”

“You just don’t want to think about that night. That’s the only reason you refused to do it. We all know, which is why none of the guys has pushed you to do it.” I whipped the sweat from my neck and looked behind us. “You really think the guys in Jake’s unit were right about there being a strange building out here?”

“They said that it had F.E.A.R’s mark on it. And if we’re lucky we’ll find some trace of Lynx there.” The guys all put on a strong front, but it was obvious that they were still affected by her absence. They weren’t fun anymore, but instead they became more focused on training the other members of the legion. They should have been training them all along. I just wanted things to go back to normal soon.