Can't Escape My Fate

Chapter 3

After a few hours of running with Myst on my back I found a small rock formation that we could use to rest. Well I’d be resting; she’d be pressed up against my side staying perfectly silent.

“Mommy…how much farther?”

“I don’t know love. We still have hours before the sun sets. But I promise that we’ll get there soon.” I didn’t even know where we were going. I mean, yeah I guess ultimately we were heading for the town that I’ve been telling her about, but I had no idea how far out that was. “Come on, we have a descent lead. How about you walk for a little while?” When she nodded, we set off again even though we had barely stopped.

“The sand makes it harder to walk…” I knew she wasn’t complaining, just stating a fact. She wasn’t even looking for a conversation, which I kind of found weird but I started noticing that I did that too. It must have been around noon when she tugged on my coat.

“What is it?” I looked down at her as I spoke, but kept walking.

“Can we stop there?” She pointed ahead of us at some kind of building in the distance. It looked safe, but until I actually checked it out I wouldn’t know for sure.

“We’ll see. If I deem it safe enough then yes, otherwise we’ll keep walking alright?”

“Understood.” We walked for a while longer before she all but begged me to carry her. She hated asking for help unless it had to do with knives or magic. I looked at her and saw that she fell asleep almost as soon as I picked her up. The sun was just starting to brush the horizon when I got to the building. I woke Myst up just before I slipped into the building and put her down.

“You can either stay right here or come with me.”

“I’m not sitting here alone.” She gripped the bottom of my jacket and followed me as I cleared the main floor. I found a small alcove where I gently pushed Myst into.

“Stay here, and stay quiet. I’ll be right back, I promise.” She looked like she was about to object before nodding and sat in the alcove.

“Come back quickly.” I patted her head and smiled.

“Of course.” I took maybe a half hour tops to check out the next couple of floors. Every room that I found was completely empty except for some stone that had fallen from the roof being caved in. I was on the stairs, heading back down to Myst when I heard two voices in the building. Since I hadn’t heard footsteps coming up the stairs I knew they were on the first floor. I stopped dead and listened. Even if they found Myst, she wouldn’t talk to people she didn’t know which meant that whoever it was wouldn’t find out anything from her.

I silently continued down to the first floor and stayed in the shadows. As far as I could tell, there were only two people, a man and a woman. I drew one of my blades and prepared to attack whoever it was. They were a threat and had to be eliminated.

Kotta Pov:

It was nearly nightfall when CC and I made it to the abandoned building that the guys in the second unit told us about. “If it doesn’t need too much repair, Andy wants to make it into a second base doesn’t he?”

“Yeah, that’s the general idea.” We looked around the entrance of the building before entering. It was overly creepy, almost as if we were being watched. “Damn, it’s pretty fucking creepy.”

“Wonder if it’s haunted. Jinxx likes that kind of thing doesn’t he?” I asked as I went over to one of the support pillars and checked it out for any weaknesses.

“Yeah, Andy and Ash are thinking of sending him here with a smaller group to help take his mind off her if we deem this place acceptable.” CC stopped and pointed over to a small alcove. “Something’s over there.”

“Go check it out then.” He went over without hesitation and nearly laughed. I was about to ask him what was over there when I felt a cold blade on my neck.

“Make a sound and I will kill you.” A girl said lowly in my ear, the voice was so familiar, but I couldn’t place where I knew it from. “Walk, slowly towards your friend.” The girl grabbed one of my arms as she pushed me forward.

“Hey, you won’t believe this. There’s a little girl over here.”

“Chris…” He looked over at me as soon as I spoke and stared in confusion at the girl who was now holding me hostage.
“How did you get in here?” He was pissed, probably for two reasons. One, I was being threatened and two, he hadn’t heard the girl come up behind us.

“Step away from the girl or I kill your friend here.” The girls’ voice was so familiar, I knew I knew it from somewhere but I couldn’t think of where. CC moved away from the little girl, slowly; and just as slowly, the girl behind me moved us so that I was constantly between CC and her.

“Let her go. You got what you wanted.” CC took a step closer, and stopped as soon as he saw the blade being pressed harder against my throat.

“Please, we didn’t know that anyone was in here. We’ll leave, just please don’t kill me.” I felt the pressure of the blade lessen before I was all but thrown to the ground at CC’s feet. The girl backed up to the alcove and just stared us down, waiting for us to either attack her or leave. I stood up and drew my daggers. “Bitch, you don’t attack a member of the legion and expect to walk away unscathed.”

“Kotta, now’s not the time.” CC tried to drag me back, but I shook him off and ran at the girl. As if the girl was anticipating what I was going to do, she kicked me in the chest sending me to the ground close to where CC was. I heard him draw his sword and smirked. Whoever the girl was, was seriously about to regret attacking me. I looked past CC and the girl who were now fighting, to the little girl who was just watching the fight with absolutely no fear. It was as if she had grown up around fighting and this was almost normal for her to see. I glanced back at the fight in time to see CC knock the girl to the ground. I heard a very faint ‘no’ and watched in amazement as a wall of fire went up between the girl and CC. The kid ran over to where the girl was and knelt beside her, and glared at CC when the fire dissipated.

“I told you to stay put.” Now that I could see the little girl clearly, I could tell that she was the other girl’s daughter.

“I wasn’t going to let him kill you…I’m sorry I went against your orders…”

“CC stop, we don’t need to traumatize the little girl.” I walked up to CC’s side and stared at the two. “Who are you?” The girl didn’t answer; she just stared at us partly in confusion and partly in recognition.

“Kotta?” I went wide-eyed, there was no way in hell that this was Lynnette…it couldn’t be. Could it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Lynx's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/lynxs_outfit/set?id=117945694

Mystic's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/mystics_outfit/set?id=117954181