Can't Escape My Fate

Chapter 5

Lynx Pov:

CC and Kotta decided to wake up at ungodly hours to start our trek back to the town. The sun wasn’t even up yet, and Myst was still asleep. Hell I was still half asleep. If this was how early I used to get up before I left, then it would be a very good reason.

“You’re still not a morning person are you?” I looked over at CC and sighed.

“What would give you that idea? The fact that I shocked you when you tried to wake me up or the fact that until we were walking I was bitching about being up this early was cruel and unusual punishment?”

“All of the above.” Kotta spoke up without hesitation, making CC laugh and me smile a bit. I shifted Myst a bit and sighed.

“So about how long until we get back to the town guys?”

“We should be there around midnight, we stopped a lot to avoid the shadow demons. But the building isn’t really that far from home.” We walked in silence for a while after that, and only stopped when Myst woke up and announced that she was hungry. It was completely against me to deny the princess anything she wanted.

“She sure eats a lot doesn’t she.” Kotta stated and looked at me like it was my fault.

“Why are you looking at me like I had something to do with this?”

“Lynx, you eat a lot, and obviously she gets it from you.” CC joined in with the teasing, which wasn’t fair.

“You guys are mean you know that?” I sighed and stretched before staring out into the desert, looking for anything that could be a threat. As I was staring out into the distance, I got flashes of people that I did yet didn’t know. “Hey CC, you and I used to spar a lot didn’t we?”

“Yeah, every day for hours on end; the guys occasionally had to drag us apart when we had to go on watch or something. You’re starting to remember now?”

“Some, but not much unfortunately…I wonder if there’s a book on spells there. It would make sense, unless it was demon magic…”

“Umm, we never said anything about demons. Why would you bring that up?” I looked over at Kotta and cocked my head to the side.

“I remember being told that demons can’t use magic, that only people from this realm could. But demons have their own abilities that are similar to magic.”

“Again, why bring that up?” I got the feeling that they knew what I was talking about, but wasn’t sure.

“Because F.E.A.R is a demon, and a powerful one at that…”

“Jinxx is the one who told you about demons, so I’m not really surprised at all that you remember him.”

“How many times do I have to keep telling you? I don’t even remember you that well, and only know Kotta because we grew up together.” I stood up and headed in the direction that we were walking, knowing that I had to calm down a bit before I did something that I’d regret. Myst grabbed my hand as I walked which calmed me down much faster than anything else.

“Why are you mad?”

“I’m not mad sweetie, I’m just annoyed that I can’t remember what CC’s talking about.”

“Okay.” She fell silent and pulled on my hand lightly, asking to be picked up which I did instantly.

“Lynx, I’m sorry okay?I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“I know CC, I just really don’t know half of what you’re talking about.” So once again, we ended up walking in silence. Myst was asleep on my shoulder and Kotta looked like she could fall asleep at any second and it was only a little after noon. “Think we should stop for a while?”

“No, over the next hill we should be able to see the town. We’ll rest then and be home just after nightfall.”

“We might have to stop sooner, we’re being followed. I swear to god, if you look back I’m going to kick you.” I shot a glare at CC just as he was about to look behind us.

“How do you know?”

“I can hear the slight clashing of the metal rings on the staffs. Just keep walking, we can confront them if we get closer to the town.”

“Why wait?”

“There’s more than five…a lot more. If the others see or hear the fight, they should come out to help. If not, we’re probably fucked.” We kept our pace the same, as not to let the demons know that we knew they were following us. I woke Myst up and told her to stay silent, she laid her head so she could see behind us and spoke quietly.

“There’s a lot of demons following us…”

“I know love, we’ll be fine.” I wasn’t even sure what was going to happen, but I didn’t want to tell her that something bad was going to happen especially if I wasn’t sure. The closer we got to the town the closer the demons got to us. I started building up the energy in the air that I converted to magic and smiled a bit as the sky darkened.

“You think it’ll really come to a fight so soon?”

“Yes CC, I really think it will. Kotta, I want you to do something for me alright?”

“Anything.” She moved so she was at my side instead of ahead of CC.

“Take Myst, and run to the town. Keep her safe, but stay with her.”

“Of course.” Kotta took Myst who looked like she was going to throw a fit.

“No, Myst you’re going with Kotta. You’ll be safe and I’ll come for you as soon as I can, I promise.” I kissed her forehead before I pushed Kotta lightly, telling her to run.

“I just hope one of the guys are on watch right now…if not we both might die out here you know that right?”

“They’ll be here, besides I made a promise to Myst that I intend to keep.”

“You really haven’t changed all that much you know.” I smiled a bit and stopped walking. We were about a mile and some change from the town, and it was just reaching dusk.

“You were wrong on your timing. We have at least another hour of sunlight before things become really interesting. I’m sure Kotta is getting the guys as we speak.” We turned and stared at the large group of shadow demons. It really wasn’t a fair fight, even if the other four guys showed up, we’d still have a hard fight.