Status: I've re-written the first chapter and hopefully improved it!

Immortal Imprint

Or a beautiful sunrise

Running was a feeling Nova was positive she'd never get use too. If it wasn't for Paul's scent growing stronger and the rush of wind fanning out her long wavy locks behind her as she glided effortlessly across the ground, Nova wouldn't have even noticed she was moving. Within seconds she had come to a halt in front of Paul who instinctively moved back to put some space between the pair. Seeing him in his wolf-form again took Nova back to the night before when she was still human and both of them were happy and in love. She would have given anything to go back in time and stayed liked Paul had asked her too.

"I'm sorry." As the words left her lips she wasn't entirely sure as to why she had said them; she never asked for any of this. But something about apologising just felt right.

Still in his wolf-form, Nova sensed there was some kind of message in Paul's brown-eyes that he was trying to convey, but as hard as she tried Nova couldn't understand it. "Can you please shift back so we can talk? I'm not your enemy, Paul. I'm still me."

After a few still and silent moments, Paul reluctantly hung his head and moved further back into the bushes, before returning into the clearing and novas line of sight on two feet and looking gorgeously human. As they looked at one another from afar, Nova wanted nothing more than to move closer and close the space between them. But she sensed the void ran a little deeper than just the distance separating the two and moving wouldn't shorten it, only talking could. Yet she couldn't find the words to say.

"I'm not supposed to be here. This is the Cullen's land and you already know about the treaty we have with them," Paul said, breaking the silence but his cold expression doing nothing to warm the frosty atmosphere.

"I don't care about the treaty, I care about us, about you."

"Don't," he abruptly stated. "I can't do this. Not yet, not now." As he went to turn and walk away, Nova instinctively flitted in front of him and grabbed a hold of his hands. "Please don't go!"

"Nova-" Paul began, attempting to pull his hands free from her unusually strong grasp.

"I'm scared, okay?" Nova confessed in desperation, all of her suppressed emotion finally bubbling to the surface along with her tears. "In fact, I'm terrified! I never wanted this, I never asked to become this."

"So it's my fault?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying-"

"Do you think I wanted any of this? Do you have any idea how much it hurts to see you standing in front of me crying and not being able to wrap my arms around you incase I can't control myself? I don't want to hurt you, Nova. I just need sometime to get my head around everything." Tearing his hands out of Nova's, Paul just about managed to control the shaking of his body long enough to push his imprint back and away from him again before shifting. With one final glance at the girl he loved, Paul decided it was time to leave and took off running back towards La Push, knowing he'd have to face Sam and the rest of his pack once he got back.

Despite being a good few meters away from where he had left Nova in the small clearing, he could still hear as she muttered quietly to herself. "This hurts more than your teeth and claws ever could."