You Are Not Alone

Hello, Mrs. Jackson

Lily's POV

Lily and Michael woke up around nine the next morning. Today was the day that Lily would meet Michael's mother. She was nervous as hell! She was fidgety and Michael was quite entertained. He would just giggle and peck her lips, reassuring her that everything would be fine. Easy for him to say! Now she was running around her room like a crazy person, trying to get ready before Katherine arrived.

Lily had finally decided on an outfit and laid it out on her bed. Quickly, she showered and blow-dryed her hair. Leaving it down, she allowed her curls to flow down her back. Putting on her bra and underwear, she sat at her vanity, ready to do her makeup. Skipping eyeliner, she put on a thin coat of mascara and some lip balm. Once again, she was glad she was used to wearing a minimal amount of makeup. Having Katherine think she looked like a painted up whore was the absolute last thing she needed! Lily rolled her eyes at how worried she was, but she couldn't help it! Lastly, she decided to paint her short nails to match her outfit.

Once her hair and makeup was done, Lily stood and walked over to the bed. Balancing herself carefully, she stepped into the orange romper she had chosen. It was sleeveless and had a v-neckline. The shorts came down a couple inches above her knees. She didn't want to show too much skin, obviously. Once she finished putting it on, she slid into the white, military style blazer she had chosen. It had three gold buttons on each side and she opted to leave it unbuttoned. Sliding on a pair of simple white, platform pumps. Between the shorts and the heels, it looked as if her legs went on for miles. Lastly, she completed her outfit with a pearl necklace.

Looking at herself in the mirror, Lily smoothed down the front of her clothes nervously. Praying to God that Katherine would like her, she stepped out into the hallway. Closing the door behind her, she descended the stairs. Making her way to the living room on shaky legs, she found Michael. Her eyes widened when she realized his mother was already there, sitting next to him on the couch. Hiding her shock, she smiled as they both looked up at her.

"Hello, Mrs. Jackson. I'm sorry if I've kept you waiting", Lily said shyly. Katherine smiled as she stood.

"Not at all, sweetheart. I just got here five minutes ago", Michael's mother replied kindly. "It's nice to finally meet you, Lily. I've heard a lot about you!" Lily blushed and accepted the hug the older woman bestowed on her.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Mrs. Jackson", Lily replied.

"Nonsense, child", Katherine waved her off. "Call me Katherine," she smiled and Lily returned it, feeling much more relaxed.

"A-Alright, Katherine", Lily nodded with a shy smile.

"You were right, Michael", Katherine began, looking at her son. "She's quite beautiful." Lily blushed, muttering a thank you.

"She certainly is, Mother", Michael agreed with a smile. He winked at Lily, making her blush a deeper shade of red. She noticed how he was looking at her - as if he could eat her alive. Scanning her long legs, he smirked at her. "Let's go ahead and sit outside. Lunch should be ready soon."

Michael's POV

Michael could tell that Lily was surprised when his mother looped her arm through hers. Giving a shy smile, his girlfriend escorted his mother to the patio. Michael followed behind them, smiling as he watched the two most important women in his life chatting and laughing together. He could tell that his Mother was already taken with Lily. Taking their seats, Franny came out to serve them, greeting his mother happily. The three of them talked happily as they ate their lunch.

"So, Lily, what do you do for a living?" Katherine asked.

"I-I work at a diner in New York City to help pay my bills. I also go to auditions for Broadway shows, but I haven't landed a part yet", Lily replied. He could tell that she was nervous. She had nothing to worry about though. His mother respected any line of respectful, hard work.

"Is that right?! Do you sing then?" Katherine asked with genuine interest.

"Y-Yes, ma'am", Lily nodded. Michael smiled as he saw the pink flooding her cheeks.

"Would you mind singin' a little somethin' for me?" Katherine asked, grabbing Lily's hand. Michael saw the blood leave her face completely. She was white and visibly nervous. So far, he hadn't even been able to get Lily to sing in front of him. He knew that she was intimidated because of who he was, so he never pushed it.

"O-Oh, I dunno, Mrs.-" His mother gave Lily a look, cutting her off. "K-Katherine", she instantly smiled at his girlfriend. "I-I've never even sang in front of Michael." She looked down, playing with the hem of her shorts. Michael grabbed her hand, making her look up at him.

"I'd love to hear you. If that's alright, of course", Michael said softly. Lily gave him a small smile and bit her lip.

"A-Alright, I-I suppose I could sing something", Lily agreed. Michael felt kind of bad for her. He could tell her hands were shaking with nerves. She took a deep breath and, closing her eyes, began to sing.

For you, there'll be no crying
For you, the sun will be shining
'Cause I feel that when I'm with you
It's alright
I know it's right

And the songbirds keep singing like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before

To you, I would give the world
To you, I'd never be cold
'Cause I feel that when I'm with you
It's alright
I know it's right

And the songbirds keep singing like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before
Like never before
Like never before

After Lily sang the last note, she opened her eyes. Silence. Michael and his mother just stared at her in awe. He couldn't believe the voice that just came out of his girlfriend. He knew she had to be talented, but her soft, sweet voice was more amazing than he could've imagined. She had looked so lost in the music as she sang. Even with her eyes closed, he could see the passion Lily had for music. Michael shook himself out of his stupor when he saw that the silence was beginning to make her even more nervous. Before he could speak, his mother beat him to it.

"Oh, darling, that was beautiful!" She exclaimed, clapping her hands. "You have quite a talent!"

"Th-Thank you, K-Katherine", Lily said, blushing and smiling shyly. Michael noticed that she seemed to be avoiding his gaze.

"You had no reason to ever be nervous with me, sweetheart", Michael assured her, grabbing her hand. "You have a beautiful voice", he continued. Leaning over, he kissed her cheek. It was his turn to blush when his mother caught his eye, grinning at his display of affection.

"Thank you, Michael", Lily smiled, looking into his eyes. He returned her smile, still holding her hand.

For the next hour, Michael sat with his mother and girlfriend. Happy to sit back and allow them to get further acquainted, he listened as they did most of the talking. His mother asked Lily all about her family and her childhood. She asked about how the two of them met. He smirked, knowing she had already heard the story from him. Of course, that was when Lily was just "this one girl he met at a concert who he thought was really pretty". Now, she was a permanent fixture in his life and he had every intention of telling that story to their future children someday.

Before she left, Michael's mother asked Lily one last question. Knowing his mother, he shouldn't have been surprised at what she asked. He couldn't help the brief look of shock that came over his face.

"Lily, do you love my son?" She asked, looking Lily in the eye. Michael could tell that she was caught off guard, but she simply smiled.

"With all my heart", Lily replied, still smiling, she looked over at him. He couldn't help but blush as he returned her smile.

"Well, that's all I need to know", said his mother. "I think you'll be good for him", she continued, reaching over to pat the younger woman's hand.

"Thank you, Katherine. I certainly hope so", Lily replied, smiling at the floor.

Standing from the couch, Michael's mother announced that she needed to be on her way. She gave Lily a warm hug, inviting her to visit Hayvenhurst to meet the rest of the family before she went back to New York. Looking at Michael, who nodded, Lily told her that she would love to. With that, Katherine said goodbye, asking Michael to walk her out. She turned to Michael when they reached the car.

"She's absolutely lovely, son", Katherine said as she turned to face him. Michael smiled that famous million dollar smile. "I knew you were dying to ask", she said with a wink.

"Well, it is important to me that you like her", Michael replied, giggling.

"I adore her, baby", she smiled, patting his cheek. "She's beautiful and such a sweetheart. That girl is talented, too!"

"Yes, she is definitely all of those things, Mother", Michael agreed happily. Katherine's face grew serious as she looked at him for several seconds. Just when he began to squirm under his mother's gaze, her face broke into a wide grin.

"You really do love her, don't you?" She asked with a small smile. Michael blushed, kicking at the ground shyly.

"I really do, Mother. I think I fell in love with her the moment I saw her", Michael whispered.

"Well, then, you better be good to her, baby", she said, shaking a finger at him jokingly. Michael giggled.

"I will, Mother. I promise", he said, wrapping his arms around her.

"Good boy", she said, kissing his cheek. He returned the gesture and opened her door for her. Closing it, he waved until she disappeared down the driveway. Relieved that everything went well, he made his way back into the house.

Lily was standing in the middle of the living room waiting for him. She looked so nervous and Michael found it adorable. Not wanting her to worry herself any longer, he walked to her. Cupping her face in his hands, he looked into her eyes and spoke.

"She absolutely loved you, babygirl. I told you it would be just fine", Michael said, smiling down at her. A look of relief instantly relaxed Lily's features.

"Oh, thank God!" Lily exclaimed, making Michael laugh. Wrapping his arms around her, Michael kissed her passionately.

It was killing him to not be able to kiss her the way he wanted for the past couple of hours. He couldn't exactly lay one on her in front of his mother! He felt tortured from the moment Lily had appeared in front of them. Her sunkissed skin was glowing and her legs were taunting him in those shorts and high heels.

"You have been driving me crazy in that outfit, babygirl", Michael whispered in her ear and kissing his way down her neck softly. Lily shivered in his arms.

No longer able to control himself, Michael decided he was in desperate need to be alone with her. Picking her up, he flung her over his shoulder, wrapping his arms around her thighs. Shrieking in surprise, Lily giggled as Michael carried her the entire way up to his room.