Someday You're Gonna Be the Only One You've Got

1/1

And now, with their latest single we give you Paramore,” the radio DJ said before the guitar riffs started.

“That’s five stations in the last ten minutes,” Taylor York, lead guitarist for the band said before switching off the radio and turning to the other two members sitting beside him.

“See, I told you that song would be the biggest hit yet. Funny to think that you two didn’t believe me,” Hayley Williams, their red haired lead singer said with a smile that showed just how happy she was too have proved them wrong.

“Well, good to know you were right. Maybe we’ll listen to you without a fight next time,” Taylor said with a roll of his eyes that thankfully Hayley missed. He really wasn’t looking for another fight; he just really wished she would get over her ego.

As much fun as touring the world with his two best friends for the last few years, the last few months of recording their new album had been hell. Just like with almost every other band, their lead singer is the girl everyone wants to interview, the person that everyone knows and wants to be like. For the longest time Hayley was always making sure to include himself and Jeremy in interviews, photo shoots and song writing sessions, but as of lately Hayley wanted to do everything on her own. Taylor and Jeremy had written a few songs on their own while Hayley was off at photo shoots and every time they would play the songs for her she would shoot them down because she wouldn’t get any song writing credit for them.

“I think we need to go over the album track listing again,” Jeremy said piping up for the first time since they started searching the radio for their song.

“Why, I think it’s perfect,” Hayley said turning around to look at him.

“Well I got an email from the record company; they want us to add a few more songs to be bonus tracks. So I was thinking maybe we could get you into the studio to record vocals on that song Taylor and I tracked. It would make the perfect bonus track,” he said with a smile looking from Hayley to Taylor and back again hoping they would agree.

“I like that idea,” the lead guitarist said with a shrug. “Guess we just need your okay Hayley.”

“I don’t know. It’s an okay song, I just don’t know if it’s a Paramore song.”

“And what exactly is a Paramore song? Something written by you and only you?” Taylor asked angrily. He knew the song they wrote wasn’t the world’s best song, but it was pretty damn good if you asked him. He didn’t like the face that she was shooting it down just because he wrote it with Jeremy and she didn’t get any input on it.

“I just don’t think the sound is right. It sounds too pop radio for us,” she said with a shrug. “We started as an alternative band, I think we should stay an alternative band.”

“I don’t care what you say Hayley, ‘Dark Sider’ is an alternative song. It was planned to be one when we wrote it and it has remained one. So please give us a better reason than that,” the bassist said with a sigh.

Without a word Hayley got up from her seat and walked out of the room, not wanting to have to deal with the two boys anymore. No matter what the other two was saying, she was positive that their song wasn’t good enough for their new album and new sound. She didn’t know how she was going to do it, but she was going to show them just how wrong she was.

~~~~


Two weeks later and both boys had finally heard from Hayley for the first time since that day. She called them and told them to meet her at the record company so that they could go over their final track listing and get the production of their album moving. Quickly climbing into Taylor’s car, they quickly set off down the road and booked it to the record company hoping that their good friend had a change of mind about their song.

Twenty minutes later the two boys walked in, laughing and joking only to see Hayley sitting in a chair glaring at them along with their manager.

“Took you two long enough,” she said as the pulled out chairs and sat down across from them.

“Sorry that we ran into traffic,” Jeremy said as he sat down and pulled in his chair slightly.

“Well we have the final track listing, we just need you two to sign off on it,” she said passing him a sheet of paper covered in her hand writing.

Pulling the list closer Taylor took a look at it along with Jeremy. Of course every song on the standard album list was written by Miss. Hayley Williams herself. After that were four bonus tracks, once again all written by Hayley and all hopes of the boy’s song being on the album were dashed.

“I thought we said ‘Dark Sider’ should be on the album?” Jeremy said as he looked up towards Hayley.

“No, you guys asked if I would consider it, and I decided against it. Like I said, it’s not a Paramore song. If you want it to see the light of day try selling it to some pop artist,” she said with a shrug as she leaned back in her chair. “Now can you guys just sign off on this so that we can get on with everything else? I want this album out mid-summer, so we don’t have too much longer to do the photo shoot and design the album.”

“Do we get a say on the album design at least?”

“Of course, this is our band.”

“Doesn’t seem that way,” Jeremy said under his breath so that only Taylor could hear and agree with him.

“What was that boys?”

“Nothing,” Jeremy said with a shake of his head hoping that Hayley would drop it.

Knowing at this point is was best to sit back and shut up, Jeremy and Taylor shut their mouths and listened to all of Hayley’s ‘brilliant’ album design ideas. They ranged from everything from a picture of Hayley, on her own of course with a nice backdrop behind her to a recreation of their Riot! album cover that would have their newest album name written over and over in Hayley’s handwriting, so that the fans would like it more.

An hour later and the two older men felt like their heads were going to explode. They had finally finalized everything to do with their new album, well technically Hayley finalized everything they just sat there and nodded their head to everything she was saying, knowing that the battle wouldn’t be worth their time. Hayley was in charge of this band now, and there was no stopping her.

“Are you sure it’s even worth it anymore?” Taylor asked with a heavy sigh as he got into the car and turned to look at Jeremy.

“You’re thinking about leaving too?” the bassist asked as he hooked his seatbelt. “I thought I was the only one. I mean, the band was great in the beginning when we were all best friends and bounced ideas off of each other, but now that all this fame has gone to Hayley’s head it’s getting to be unbearable.”

“I know. It’s getting too hard to be in a band when everything you say is labeled as unimportant. Maybe it’s time to call it quits. We’ve had a great run, it’s just that we got too big before some of us were equipped to handle it.”

“Out of all the people that lead to the end of the band I never thought that it would be Hayley. She was so set on starting a band, saying how great it would be to rise to fame as a group of best friends who would never let fame ruin them. Too bad she was the one that feel for it all,” Jeremy said with a shake of his head as they pulled up in front of Taylor’s house.

“So should we work on announcing our departure from the band now or later?”

“Best we get it out of the way now.”

~~~~


It’s with heavy hearts that we are posting this message, but it is time for myself and Jeremy to depart from the band. We appreciate all the love and support we have gotten from fans over the years, but the band in not for us anymore. The music we make has changed, the way everyone in the band thinks has changed and it seems as though we are no longer on the same page as one another. The only way we can think of to save our friendship is to depart from the band, so that’s what we are doing.

We are sure that Hayley will continue to do Paramore on her own; the band is like her baby and we don’t see her ending it anytime soon. Jeremy and myself will hopefully be announcing a new project soon whether we are on our own creating music, or in a new band together neither one of us want to quit music We hope that all of our fans will continue to support us on our future endeavors as they did when we were in Paramore

We know that the question will come up; that everyone will want to know why we left the band all we want to say is ‘someday you’re gonna be the only one you’ve got’.