The Catcher

One

-Leigh Anne-
There’s nothing I hate more than sitting in the waiting room at a doctor’s office. It’s bad enough when I have to wait for my own appointments, but it’s even worse on days like today where I have to wait for my twin sister. They’re pretty sure Kayla has a partial labrum tear, which is a bitch and a half. I had a labrum tear our freshman year, and ended up having to get surgery, prematurely ending my season. Kayla and I are best friends, though. It kinda comes as part of the definition of being twins, even though we’re fraternal. So I don’t completely mind waiting for her. At least this waiting room has nice comfy chairs and a huge tv. And since it’s a high-end clinic, there aren’t a lot of people. Actually, there aren’t any other people here at all except the guy in the corner with the hat on.

Plus my favorite show is on, so I really can’t complain. People think I’m crazy for saying SportsCenter is my favorite show, but I don’t really care. I’m a collegiate athlete, of course I love to watch sports. They’re mostly talking about basketball, which I don’t mind. There’s only two months left until March Madness, and people are already starting to go crazy. Our school has a pretty good team, and the guys are really fun to hang out with in the athletic training room, always cracking jokes and chirping each other. I never really was a fan of the sport before, but they’ve gotten me interested at least in how our team does.

The story switches to hockey, which draws my attention in. Kayla’s ex-boyfriend got her addicted to hockey, which of course meant I got addicted to it too. We are twins, after all. They were, as usual, talking about Pittsburgh’s captain. “Fuck Crosby.” I growled, maybe a little too loudly. They guy in the corner snorts and looks up at me. He looks so familiar. “Seriously, he’s all they ever talk about. It’s like he’s the only hockey player anyone over at SportsCenter knows exists. Not that they talk about hockey anyway, which is stupid. But the rare occasion when they do, it’s always about him. He’s good, but he’s not that great.” Wow I just ranted to a total stranger. I should probably learn how to shut my mouth, but at least he’s smiling at me. So he probably doesn’t think I’m completely crazy, right?

“I’m definitely not going to argue with you there.” His Canadian accent is obvious, and suddenly I realize who I’m talking to.
“Holy shit, you’re Luke Schenn.” I say, eyes wide. He chuckles and nods his head. “Wow, I feel like a total idiot now. Sorry.”
“It’s okay, you’re not an idiot at all. It’s nice to talk to a girl who clearly knows her hockey for once.” He gets up and moves over to the couch next to the chair I’m in. “What’s your name?”
“Leigh Anne Royce.”
“Well it’s nice to meet you, Leigh Anne.” He sticks out his hand and I shake it.
“It’s nice to meet you too. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing here? I haven’t heard anything about you getting injured.”
“I’m here for my brother. They’re doing some check ups to make sure he’s not messed up from that hit last night.”
“That was fucking dirty.” I blurt out, and quickly cover my mouth. His laugh fills the room, just as his brother walks through the door. I can’t help but notice just how much they look alike. Man, these Schenn boys are good looking.

“What’s going on here?” Brayden asks, eyeing me.
“Bray, this is my new friend Leigh Anne. She thinks the hit you got last night was, and I quote, ‘fucking dirty’.” Brayden laughs.
“Well, it was.” I shrug.
He sits down on the couch next to Luke and turns to him. “He said I’m fine, but he wanted to look over the MRI one more time, just to be sure. So we gotta wait a little bit longer.”
“Hey, that means more time we get to talk to our new friend. Let’s see how many times she says things without thinking first.” He smiles at me and I laugh, blushing. It’s a bad habit I just can’t seem to break. “So what are you here for?” He asks.

“Well, like you I’m here for my sibling.” They both give me questioning looks, encouraging me to continue. “My twin sister, Kayla, is getting her shoulder checked out. They think she might have a partial labrum tear.” They both groan with empathy. “Yeah, it sucks ass. Especially since pre-season starts in a couple weeks. If she needs surgery we’re all screwed.”

Both of their eyes light up. “What do you play?” Brayden asks.
“We play softball at Temple.” I respond.
“That’s cool! What position are you? Luke asks.
“I’m a pitcher and she’s my catcher. Cliche for twins, I know. But it works. We’re one of the best duos in the country.” I can’t contain the smile that grows on my face as I talk about playing with Kayla. They look impressed.
“So why did you say if she needs surgery you’re all screwed?” Luke asks. These boys are nosy! But hey, I’m talking to two NHL stars. I’m not going to complain.
“If she needs surgery, she’ll probably be out the whole season. Our backup catcher is decent, but Kay is so much better. Pre-season coach’s polls actually suggested she might be one of the biggest individual threats in the conference. She very well could be an All-American this year. Plus, she’s the only person I pitch to. She’s the only person I’ve ever pitched to- since we started playing. I’ve tried working with other catchers in practices, but I just don’t have that chemistry with anyone else. I don’t want to sound cocky or anything, but I’m the best pitcher on the team. So not only would we lose her, but I would struggle as well.”

“That makes sense.” Brayden says, and Luke nods. “I hope she’s okay.”
“Thanks.” I smile back at him. And just like that, the door opens and my sister finally joins us.

-Kayla-
“So there’s good news and there’s bad news.” I say to my sister, walking into the waiting room and reading the paper in my hands. “The good news is that I don’t need surgery. The bad news is that I have to do this intensive therapy program instead. I don’t really mind that, but since Jeff left and they haven’t actually named an athletic trainer for us, he wants me to go see some guy he works with. Apparently he’s one of the best, but I have to go to Jersey to see him. I don’t know who the fuck Jim McCrossin is, but it’s utter bull shit that I have to drive all the way to fucking New Jersey for him. He better be a fucking miracle worker.”

“Jim actually works with us. He’s excellent at what he does.” That’s when I realize Leigh Anne isn’t alone. I stare at the two guys sitting with her, and gasp when I realize who they are. Leigh giggles a bit.

“Kay, meet Luke and Brayden Schenn. They’ve been hanging out with me while I was waiting for you.”
“It’s nice to meet you, Kayla.” Brayden says, sticking his hand out.
“Um- Nice to- um- meet you, too.” I say, stumbling over my words. His hand is so big. And warm. It feels good wrapped around mine. I don’t let go, and neither does he. I make the mistake of looking into his eyes and find myself getting lost in his hazel globes. My heart starts racing, my breathing is shallow and I can’t think of any words to say. I can’t think of anything except his dazzling smile that reaches all the way to his eyes, and the tingling in my hand where he is touching me.

We stand there not breaking hand or eye contact until someone clears their throat. I quickly drop his hand and look away, turning red. Fortunately for me, Luke breaks the awkward silence by introducing himself. I greet him in a less embarrassing way, sticking to a simple hello, but I’m positive the blush on my face is still there.

“So you’re going to be working with Jim?” Luke asks after we’re done our introductions.
“Looks like it.” I reply. I’ve started breathing properly again, but my hand is still tingling from where Brayden touched me and I can still feel his eyes staring intently at me.
“That’s fantastic. I promise you, Jim is the best.”
“I’m glad to hear that. I’d rather not have to travel all the way to another state just to work with someone who’s not going to be the best for me.” We all laugh.
“When will you be working with him?” Brayden asks. Even his voice makes me feel tingly. It’s the perfect combination of smooth with a little edge. And the Canadian accent certainly doesn’t hurt. I look at him and feel myself falling into his trap again. Mentally shaking off the urge to just stare at him, I answer his question.
“I’m not sure yet. My doctor told me to email him my class schedule and we would figure out together after that. I’m supposed to go 4 times a week, though.”
“Well, hopefully we’ll see each other.” With one simple sentence he’s got me melting. He wants to see me again.

Thankfully, just as I start to get lost in him again, a doctor pokes his head out and calls for him, breaking me from my thoughts.
“Mr. Schenn, you’re good to go. The MRI confirmed everything we’ve already told you.”
“Thanks, doc.” His golden voice sounds, eyes never leaving mine.
“Guess that means it’s time to go, eh?” Luke asks, breaking us once again from our own world.
“Oh yes, we have some grocery shopping to do!” Leigh Anne responds.
“How about we exchange phone numbers? You know, just in case you get lost on your way to the rink. I’m assuming that’s where you’ll be doing your therapy since that’s where Jim mostly works.” Luke suggests. I smile and nod my head, handing over my phone.

“I’ll put Brayden’s number in too, just in case.” He smirks. “But I forgot my phone in the car, so you guys put yours into his and I’ll just get it later.” Brayden hands me his phone and our fingers graze each other, sending sparks flying between our skin. I blush and quickly add my number and pass it to my sister just as Luke hands me back mine. “It was nice meeting you ladies.” He says as we walk towards the parking lot. We agree and start to turn away towards our car, but Luke surprises me and pulls me back for a goodbye hug. I notice Leigh Anne give Brayden a quick half-hug as Luke releases me and realize what’s happening. Brayden looks at me awkwardly and takes a step towards me. I gingerly wrap my arms around his torso and feel his wrap around my shoulders. Our bodies awkwardly mold together and it might just be the most amazing feeling I’ve ever experienced. I feel both of our muscles relax a little and breathe in. I recognize his cologne immediately. It’s from the Ralph Lauren Big Pony collection, and it’s my favorite. I even bought it for my brother for Christmas because I love it so much.

Too quickly, we pull away from each other and he smiles lightly at me. Leigh Anne grabs my hand and gently pulls me away, but not without shooting Luke a small smirk. We reach our car before she speaks to me. “You wanna explain what that was all about?” She asks with a smirk.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I lied. Of course she sees right through it.
“You’re joking, right? Luke and I aren’t oblivious. We both saw the way you two practically melted into your own world. I thought you weren’t going to deal with guys anymore? Especially after the Chris situation.”

She had to bring up Chris. The ex who got me so obsessed with hockey in the first place. Let’s just say things didn’t exactly end well between the two of us. Actually, things ended horribly. And even though it has been over for almost 6 months, I still haven’t put myself out there on the dating market. I just don’t feel ready.
“Maybe things are changing.” I said with a wink.

-Brayden-
I watched as Kayla and Leigh Anne walked away from us towards their car, my eyes never leaving the brunette bombshell who had left me completely confused. Never in my life have I felt that intense of a pull from someone before. Especially not the very first time meeting them. I can’t seem to shake the way her gorgeous green eyes caught mine and my fingers are still tingling from where they touched her soft skin. I’m brought back to reality by the sound of Luke’s phone ringing.
“Hey G.... Yeah we’re just leaving now.... Doc said he’s fine and he can resume practices and games as normal.... Yeah sure, we’ll see you there.” He hangs up. “We’re headed over to Hartsy’s place for dinner.” He says, heading for the other side of the parking lot.

“I thought you forgot your phone in the car.” I say, looking at him. He smirks.
“Do I ever leave my phone somewhere? I just wanted you to get Kayla’s number.” He chuckles. “Man, you don’t even notice that your greatest wingman is your own brother.” I just stare at him. “Now’s the time where you say thank you. But since you’re zoning out, I’ll just say you’re welcome. And I’ll be sure to take all the credit at your wedding some day.” I shake him off with a dirty look. We hop into the car and he starts the engine.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not even looking for a relationship right now. In case you forgot, I just got out of a really bad one not too long ago. I don’t need that kind of distraction.” I finally say to him.

Who am I kidding? I’m lying out of my ass. I want nothing more than to see that girl again. And Luke knows that. His sly smirk gives it away. I can’t help but hope that her therapy sessions with Jim will overlap our practices, so I have the opportunity to maybe spend more time getting to know her. One conversation. Not even twenty minutes long. And I’m already in over my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hooray for the first chapter!!!!!!

Comments would be appreciated.