The Catcher

Two

-Kayla-
It’s the first day I have to go to physical therapy with Jim, and I’m kinda nervous. I’m sure he’ll be fantastic, since he’s good enough to work with the Flyers. But what if he’s not good enough to get me back on time for the season? What if the doctors were wrong and he realizes that I do have to get surgery? I don’t think I can handle missing an entire season. We have such a great team, I know we can make it far in the national tournament this year. We might even be good enough to win.

I haven’t texted either Luke or Brayden since I got their number, but I know Leigh Anne has been talking to Luke. I’m sure he knows that I will be there today. At first I thought there was something going on between them, but she told me that there isn’t. He’s a nice guy but she just sees him as friend material, and he feels the same way about her. I’m glad she has someone to talk to other than me and the girls on the team.

To be honest, I’m probably more nervous about seeing Brayden than anything else. For days, my mind kept processing every little detail of our interactions. I was so awkward. He probably thinks I’m a total weirdo. He definitely doesn’t want to date a weirdo, so I guess that means I’ve got no chance. I shouldn’t even be thinking about him like this. I’m crazy. Even if I wasn’t completely awkward, I still wouldn’t have a chance with him. I mean, he’s Brayden Schenn.

As I pull into a parking spot at the Flyers’s SkateZone, I notice Luke shutting his trunk a couple cars down from me. I take a shaky breath, trying to control my nerves.
‘Okay, you knew they were going to be here. You knew you were going to run into them eventually. It’s just happening a lot sooner than you had hoped.’ I thought to myself. I pull myself out of my car and head over to where Luke is now talking with Scott Hartnell.

Holy shit, it’s actually Scott Hartnell. Fuck me.

“Can we help you?” Hartnell says to me as I walk up behind Luke. He turns around and a smile spreads across his face.
“Kayla!” He shouts, surprising his teammate. “Leigh Anne told me today is your first day! I was hoping I’d get to see you!”
“Yeah, I had a feeling we might run into each other.” I respond, nervously rubbing my shoulder.
“This is fantastic, I can show you the easy way to get to the training room!” Luke is way too excited to see me, considering we don’t even talk to each other.
“Are you a new intern?” Hartnell asks.
“Oh, sorry Hartsy! This is Kayla. She’s here to work with Jim.” Luke responds for me. “She’s seeing him for some therapy for her shoulder. So she can go bad ass bitch on the NCAA and win a national championship.” This makes me laugh, and I relax a little bit.
“You’ve been talking to Leigh way too much. I’m not that good.” I chuckle.
“Oh, you’re the girl Schenner’s been talking about!” Hartnell exclaims, and I can tell he’s not talking about Luke. I blush and look down at my feet and the two of them laugh.
“Yeah, the one who he’s been waiting by his phone for, hoping she would text him.” Luke says and my face gets redder.
“No he’s not.” I insist. “You’re just saying that.”
“Oh, little darlin’ that is far from the truth.” Hartnell winks at me.

Completely mortified, I follow them into the practice facility and let them lead me to the athletic training room, where they introduce me to Jim. They have to hurry off to get to practice, leaving me alone. Jim is a nice guy, and just like they told me, he’s good at his job. I’m definitely not disappointed so far, even though it’s only my first day. He’s tough, which I like. He told me straight up that if I actually do my rehab the way I’m supposed to, I should be able to be back for my season. There’s no way I’m going to slack off. This is our year to win it all.

At the end of our session, Jim tells me to put ice on my shoulder and hang out for twenty minutes. I’m sitting on one of the treatment tables texting Leigh Anne when the Flyers come in, done with their practice for the day. Hartnell spots me first, and hops up on the table next to me. “How was your first day?” He asks.
“It was good. I’m definitely going to be sore tomorrow. But if that means I’m ready by the time preseason starts, I’m okay with it.” I still feel a little uncomfortable around him. Well, around any of them. Unlike my twin sister, I’m shy. Definitely not a social butterfly. We’re pretty much opposites in every way, except our love for softball. Unfortunately for me, our conversation has alerted the other players that there’s someone who’s not on their team in the room. They eye me suspiciously, and my palms start to become sweaty. This is too much attention.
“So is Jim worth coming all the way to Jersey for?” Luke asks, joining our conversation.
“I guess we’ll see when preseason comes around.” I joke. He and Hartnell laugh, just as Brayden comes walking through the door. Unlike his teammates, he already has his practice jersey off. I can’t help but stare as soon as he comes in, biting my bottom lip. I hear Luke chuckle and my face turns red.
“Kayla! Um- hey.” Brayden says, rubbing the back of his neck.
“Hi.” I say in a small voice, aware of the entire Flyers team suddenly engrossed in our interaction.
“Um- I didn’t know you were going to be here. H-How was it?” He asks.
“It was good. I’m a little sore, but Jim thinks I’ll be ready for my season.” I try to sound optimistic.
“That’s great!” He exclaims. “Well, not great that you’re sore. Cause that’s not great. But- um. Great that you’ll be ready for your season. I know your team really needs you.” He’s rambling and it’s completely adorable.
“Um, yeah.” Wow, Kayla. You sure have a way with words. Moron.
“So, uh....” He looks around at his teammates, still staring at the two of us. “What are you doing now? I mean, clearly right now you’re sitting there with ice on your shoulder. But like what are you doing after this?”
“Nothing really. Leigh Anne decided to rearrange all the furniture in our apartment today, so I’ll probably go make sure she doesn’t do something insane. But that’s it.”
“Well, um- would you maybe like to go to lunch with me?”
“Oh! Uh- sure. Yeah, that sounds nice.” He smiles.
“Cool. I’ll go shower and get changed and meet you in the parking lot.”
He and the rest of the team file out, and I can see some of them punching him in the hallway, laughing at him. Luke just gives me a huge smile as he leans in for a hug.
“Have fun.” He says with a wink. When they’re gone, I can finally process what just happened.

Oh my god. Brayden Schenn just asked me on a date. And I said yes.

-Brayden-
I’m not really sure what just happened. One second I was walking into the athletic training room after practice and the next second I’m taking Kayla on a date. I wasn’t even sure if I would ever see her again. And when she never texted me, I thought for sure she had no interest in me. I don’t want to sound cocky or anything, but usually if I gave a girl my number she texts or calls me the next day. But with Kayla I got nothing. I certainly wasn’t expecting her to actually say yes to a date. Although I’m glad she did, since I totally forgot that all my teammates were standing right there. I can’t even begin to imagine the embarrassment I would have felt if she had turned me down.

I quickly shower and start to change into my clothes, ignoring the chirps from my teammates. During my shower I could hear my stupid brother telling everyone who she is, and all about the first time we met. I’m thrilled that he told everyone all about how much of a dork I was that day at the doctor’s (can you taste the sarcasm?). He may be my best friend, but damn he’s still my older brother and loves to embarrass me as often as he can. I think he’s just jealous that I’m a better hockey player than him.

As soon as I’m all dressed, I race out to the parking lot and find Kayla waiting for me by a red Jeep.
“Nice car.”
“Thanks.” She responds. I’m not really sure what else to say.
“So, um. There’s a diner just around the corner. It’s one of my favorite places to go. Since we’re both in workout clothes I figured that’s a good place to go?”
“Sure. I’ll follow you there.”

We hop into our cars and I make sure she’s right behind me before pulling out. I have to find a way to have a decent conversation with her. I can tell she’s shy. A lot more than her sister, that’s for sure. Maybe if she gets to know me better she’ll feel more comfortable around me. But I don’t want to talk too much about myself, right? Then she’ll just think I’m an egotistical douche bag. I pull into the diner and park my car, quickly hopping out so I can open Kayla’s door for her. She blushes, and it’s one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. I also hold the door to the diner open for her, and she laughs. “You know, you don’t have to hold open every door for me.” She says.
“I’m Canadian. We’ve got politeness in our blood.” I respond, smiling.
“Until you get on the ice. Then you’re more than willing to beat each other up.”
She’s got me there, and I have no response other than to laugh. Esther, the usual hostess, spots me and gives me a small smile, instantly leading the two of us to my usual booth. It’s not too crowded, so I know she will also be serving us. I love when Esther is my waitress because it means I can give her a good tip.

“You know, when I first came to Philly, I had a hard time adjusting to my new life. I was young, away from home, and still trying to impress the league with my talents. I started coming to this diner at least three or four times a week and Esther became like another mother to me. She always listened to whatever was bothering me, and gave me fantastic words of advice. She still does.” I say. Kayla smiles at me.
“I’m glad you had someone to lean on.” She says, putting her menu down. “I’m sure it can be difficult not having anyone other than your teammates to talk to.”
“Sometimes, yeah. It’s definitely nice now having Luke around. Even though he’s my teammate, he’s my brother first. I know he’s always got my back no matter what happens.”
“That’s the same with me and Leigh Anne. Although I’ve never played without her on my team.”
“She mentioned that she only pitches to you. She also said you two are one of the best duos in the country because of it.” She blushes again, just as Esther comes back to take our orders. I order my usual cheese burger and fries, and Kayla orders a grilled cheese with chicken noodle soup.

“I wouldn’t say Leigh Anne and I are one of the best duos in the country... But we’re pretty good. We just understand each other, you know?” I nod my head. “It’s easy to make the right calls because I know how she wants to attack each batter. And since I’ve caught every pitch she’s ever thrown, she trusts my judgement.” I’m thrilled she’s finally starting to open up to me. “Plus we’ve got the twin intuition going for us too.”
“So how does your injury affect the way you play?” I ask, hoping she’ll just continue to talk to me. I love the sound of her voice.
“It’s mostly just painful when I throw. And it limits my range of motion, so I can’t really throw as hard or as accurate.”
“I guess as the catcher you throw a lot, huh?”
“Pretty much. The only person who throws more than me is the pitcher.”
“Wow, that sucks. I’m glad you don’t have to get surgery, though.”
“Me too. Therapy is going to suck. I remember Leigh Anne was always miserable after her therapy sessions, before she got her surgery. But at least I can still play this season.” At that moment, Esther brings our food out. As always, it looks delicious and I’m happy to see that Kayla agrees. We both dig in and she moans her approval of her sandwich. It’s nice to be having a meal with a girl who is actually willing to eat real food in front of me. Most girls think that I want to date some stick figure who can barely finish a salad. I don’t really care what girls eat, to be honest. I just like a girl who in healthy and confident with themselves.

“I would love to come watch you play.” I blurt out. “I mean, you know... If that’s okay with you?” She smiles and looks down at her hands.
“I think Luke already asked Leigh Anne for our schedule.” She laughs. “You’re more than welcome to join him...”
“I think that sounds fantastic.” We’re nearing the end of our meal and I really don’t want it to end. I’m actually having a really nice time with her. “I have to be honest with you, Kayla.” I say. She looks up at me and I can see a little nervousness in her eyes. “I’m having such a fantastic time, I don’t want this to be over.” I kinda laugh a little bit. She smiles.
“I’m having a fantastic time too. I- I was nervous at first. I mean, you’re Brayden Schenn. And I’m just Kayla. But you’re a really sweet guy.”
“I don’t feel like ‘Brayden Schenn’ when I’m around you.” I say, using air quotes. “I just feel like Brayden.”

“I’m going to let you in on a little secret, Brayden.” She says. “I’m not at all like my sister.” She seems a little nervous. “Leigh Anne... She’s the social butterfly out of the two of us, and I’m definitely not. She’s the one who’s more likely to start talking to a random guy in the waiting room of a doctor’s office. I’m the one who is more likely to just sit at home on the weekends and read a good book. My friends are the girls on the softball team and a couple of people from my classes....” I’m not really sure where she’s going with this. “I guess I’m telling you this because I want you to know how different this is for me. I feel like I can open up to you, even though I’ve only known you for a couple of days. I feel comfortable with you.”

I definitely wasn’t expecting that. I mean, I could tell she is a shy girl. But she just opened up her heart and told me something really personal. I want her to know how much I appreciate that. I lay my hands on top of hers, and she stiffens a little, not expecting it. “I kinda figured you’re a shy girl.” I start, rubbing slow circles on with my thumb. “But even from our first conversation I knew that I wanted to get to know you. I feel lucky that you’re letting me in.” Her face turns red and Esther comes by with the check. I swipe it up quickly and hand it back to her with my credit card before she can get away. Kayla starts to protest, but I stop her before she can say a word. “I asked you on a date. I picked the diner. I’m paying for the bill, and there’s nothing you can say that will change my mind.”

This can also be a sticky situation with most girls. Some try really hard not to seem like they’re with me for my money, and fight tooth and nail for every bill. Other girls are pretty shameless in the way that they don’t even try to hide the fact that they just want to date a professional hockey player, regardless of who they are. Those girls just want the money and the popularity.

“Oh... Okay.” Kayla starts. “That just means that next time I’ll have to ask you out on a date and pick the place. That way I can pay for the bill and there will be nothing you can say about it.”

Of course she knocked that answer out of the park. I’m left stunned for a second.
“Yeah.” I say. “I guess so.”
“Good. I um... I hope that’s okay with you. I don’t want you to think that I’m the kind of girl who’s only interested in you because you’re an athlete.”
“I’m pretty sure we’ve already determined that you’re not that kind of girl.” I laugh.
Esther comes back with my card, and I make sure to leave her a generous tip as usual. We stand up and head for the door. As I’m pocketing the receipt, I notice she wrote something on it.

‘She seems like a nice girl. Don’t mess it up!’

I chuckle to myself and send Esther a smile. She winks back and I open the door for Kayla.
“So can I call you?” I ask, leaning against her car door. “Or text you, if that’s what you would prefer?”
“I would love either of those.” She says. I can’t help but notice the way the sun catches in her hair, and I see for the first time that it isn’t just brown like I thought, but has a reddish tint to it as well. It’s beautiful.
“Can I- Can I kiss you good bye? Just on the cheek.” I ask, nervously.
“I would like that.” She says, blushing.

I slowly lean down and press my lips to her cheek, feeling her soft skin beneath my lips. As I start to pull back, she surprises me by quickly attaching her lips to mine. I’m not quite sure what to do, so my body reacts instinctively. I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her closer to me, deepening the kiss. My brain feels like there are fireworks going off inside, and I can’t process anything but her. She’s shorter than me, so she’s up on her toes and I’m slightly bending down. Her lips taste like mint chap stick. Her hands press on my pecs and I don’t want this to end. Too soon, she pulls back and I can see a smile on her face, even though she’s looking down.
“I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me.” She says, drawing circles on my bicep.
“There’s absolutely nothing to be sorry for.” I reply honestly, slightly out of breath.
“I have to go make sure my sister hasn’t completely ruined our apartment.” She says sadly.
“I understand. I’ll talk to you later though.”
“Okay.” I give her a quick peck on the lips again and open her car door, allowing her to slide into her driver’s seat. She shuts the door and starts her engine. I back away and unlock my car, opening my door as she’s pulling out of her parking spot.
“Oh, and Brayden?” She calls from her open window. “You don’t have to wait the customary two days before calling me.” With that, she drives off.

Esther was right. I can’t mess this up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this was a long one! But yay, their first date!

Comments would be fantastic! What did you think??????