The Catcher

Three

-Kayla-
It’s been two weeks since my first date with Brayden and things have been going amazingly. Not only is my therapy progressing, but three out of the four times I’ve been in Jersey to see Jim, I’ve gone to lunch with Brayden afterwards. We haven’t specifically defined anything, but we talk constantly between phone calls and texting. I even got called out in class the other day for texting him during class, which was the first time that ever happened to me. I’m usually so serious about my education, but I just can’t seem to find a way to stay away from him.

I think it’s safe to say that there’s something happening between us. I mean, let’s face it. I’m the most shy and awkward girl in the entire world. I’ve only ever had two relationships, and one was my freshman year of high school and lasted two months. The other was a shit show that destroyed me for months. So the fact that I’ve opened up to Brayden more than I’ve opened up to anyone except my sister really says something.

Tonight, Leigh Anne and I have tickets to see the guys play against Phoenix. We’re both really excited because it’s the first game we’re ever going to. I can’t help but think about my conversation with the team that led to us getting tickets.

I’m sitting on the table as usual with ice on my shoulder, waiting for the guys to be done practice. As usual, I’m texting Leigh Anne who is in her economics class. She never pays attention in that class, and will usually send me links to cute clothes she finds online.

“I swear I think you’re attached to that thing.” Scott Hartnell laughs, leading the charge into the training room.
“It’s only because I was bored without you guys here to entertain me.” I joke. I’m much more comfortable with him now that we’ve talked more. I’m actually more comfortable with all of them. Just maybe not all at the same time.

“So are you guys ready for your short road trip?” I ask as they all hop up onto the ables with me.
“Absolutely.” Luke responds.
“What are you going to do with us gone?” Hartnell asks.
“The same thing I’ve always done. Watch you on tv.” I say.
“Wait. Have you ever been to an NHL game before?” Wayne Simmonds asks.
“Nope.” I respond, not thinking much about it.

Fifteen pairs of eyes turn to me, making me instantly uncomfortable. They’re all wide and questioning. My hands start sweating and I look down at them to try to avoid the attention. I think Luke realizes how uncomfortable I am with it, and asks a couple of the guys a question to divert their attention.

Luckily for me, Brayden choses that moment to come into the training room, fresh out of the shower. Having him near me instantly calms me down and I send him a smile.

“Did you know your girlfriend hasn’t ever been to an NHL game?” Hartnell asks him.
“No, I didn’t know that.” Brayden says, turning to me.
“We just found that out!”
“Why have you never been to a game before?” Brayden asks me.
“We have a big family and tickets are expensive. We could never afford them.” I respond, hoping they’ll all drop the subject.
“You’re a terrible boyfriend.” Hartnell laughs.

We both ignore the ‘boyfriend’ comment since it’s an awkward subject and Brayden just laughs it off.

Later, when we’re at the diner and Esther has just taken our order, Brayden asks me if Leigh Anne and I want to come to a game.

“We would love to. But we just can’t afford it right now.” I respond.
Brayden laughs.
“You wouldn’t have to pay for them. You kinda know someone who can get you the, for free. I could probably pull some strings and get you really good seats, too.”
“You would really do that?” I ask.
“Of course. I mean, if you want to.” He responds.
“I think we’d love that.”


“Kay, you ready to go?” Leigh Anne calls from our kitchen, bringing me out of my own head.
“Yeah.” I call back.

I grab the Schenn jersey Brayden was sure to give me from my bed and head out to meet her. She’s wearing the Giroux jersey she’s owned for years and I snicker.

“Luke isn’t going to be happy about that.” I state.
“Hey, Luke and I are just friends. I don’t have to show up with his last name branded on my back.” She smiles at me and I know she’s joking, but it kinda stings.
“Brayden and I are just friends. Who have kissed a couple times.” I say, grabbing my phone off the charger and heading out the door.
“Kay, you know it’s more than that.” Leigh Anne says, her voice filled with pity.

I don’t want her pity.

“Whatever.” I say, getting into the car.

We drive to the Wells Fargo Center and park in the VIP lot, thanks to the parking pass that Brayden gave me along with the tickets. I told him I felt like it was too much, but he said I didn’t have a choice, and that he wasn’t going to let me pay for parking and end up leaving my car halfway across the lot. Especially since we’re going to meet them in the locker room after the game and won’t be leaving at the same time as everyone else.

“I’m so excited!” Leigh Anne squeals.
Despite my slight sour attitude about the conversation before we left, I have to agree with her. Being at the Wells Fargo Center for a game totally has a different sense of excitement compared to just watching it at home. Fans all around are shouting and cheering already, and we’re not even inside yet.

“Is it weird seeing people with Brayden’s jersey on, knowing that you’ve spent so much time with him?” Leigh Anne asks as we get through the gate.
“No.” I respond.
“I mean, think about it. See that girl?” She’s pointing to a girl who’s probably about 18 years old, wearing a #10 Schenn jersey. “I bet she’s wearing his jersey because she thinks he’s really cute. I bet she’d give everything to spend five minutes with him. And I bet she’d pass out if she got to kiss him. Something you happen to know all about.” She nudges my shoulder.
“Well it wasn’t weird before. Thanks for making it weird now.” I say, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

We take our seats and holy shit they’re right against the glass behind the net where the Flyers will be scoring twice. What a way to attend a first game. The crowd goes wild as the guys come out on the ice for warm ups. Most of the guys smile and wave at me as they pass by, causing Leigh Anne and I to get a bunch of looks from people around us. Some are envious, some are entertained, and most are just curious.

Brayden stops right in front of us and gives me a dazzling smile, causing my stomach to flutter.
“You like the seats?” He asks through the glass.
“Yeah!” I respond.
“Good. I picked them out myself.”
Leigh Anne chuckles and Brayden says a quick hello to her before turning back to me.
“I gotta go. I’ll see you after the game, right?”
“Of course. Good luck!”
He winks and flashes his smile again and I want to melt. I sit back down in my seat, ignoring the stares that have quickly gone from entertained and curious to full envy. Especially the ones from the hoard of girls in the next section, clearly desperate for attention.

The game is ridiculously nerve-wracking. At the end of the first period, it’s scoreless. At the end of the second, it’s 1-0 Coyotes. The third looks like it’s going to end with the same score, but Brayden makes an incredible pass to Wayne, who tips it in to get the game-tying goal with thirty seconds left. The crowd goes crazy, and I can’t help but be incredibly proud of both of them.

They end up forcing overtime and unfortunately two minutes in Shane Doan makes an incredible play to create a breakaway against Emery, and scores. My heart instantly sinks, and all I want in this moment is to wrap my arms around Brayden.

“Well shit.” Leigh Anne says, sinking into her chair.
“Yeah.” I respond, doing the same. “We’re gonna wait here until everyone clears out. Brayden said he’ll send someone to get us to get to the locker room.”
“Sounds good.”
We both take off our jerseys and place them in her bag.

We wait about twenty minutes and the arena is mostly cleared out before someone comes over to us and says they’re there to take us to the guys. We follow him through a while bunch of hallways and eventually find ourselves in front of a large door with the Flyers logo on it. The attendant tells us to wait in the hallway, and that either Brayden or Luke will be out soon to get us. Leigh Anne asks him where the bathroom is, and he says he’ll take her. I decide to stay back, since I don’t have to go and I’d rather wait for Brayden anyway.

I’m playing on my phone when I hear a voice speaking.
“What’s a pretty girl like you doing down here?”
I look up and instantly recognize Paul Bissonnette walking towards me. I look over my shoulder, quickly realizing I’m the only one in the hallway.
“W-what?” I ask, my palms getting clammy.
He laughs.
“You’re way too pretty to be standing here alone.”
I politely smile and nod my head, hoping he’ll get the hint that I don’t want to talk to him. But of course he doesn’t. He leans up against the wall next to me.
“So why are you here? You a lucky fan who gets to meet the team?”

“Back off, Biz.” I hear, looking up to see my savior. “Hey, Kayla.”
“Hi Claude.” I squeak.
“Kayla, that’s a pretty name.”
“She’s spoken for.” Claude says, clapping Biz on the shoulder.
“Who’s the lucky guy?”
“I am.” Brayden says, coming out of the locker room.
He looks amazing in his suit, and I can’t help but stare at the way his shirt fits his shoulders, and his pants accent his ass.
“You know I love ya, Biz. But don’t try to hit on my girl.” Brayden jokes.

My face turns red. Did Brayden just call me his girl?

The guys joke around and Biz apologizes for hitting on me, which I graciously smile at. Eventually, Leigh Anne finds her way back and of course begins flirting with both Claude and Biz.

“Hey, can I steal you away for a second?” Brayden whispers, wrapping his arm around my lower back.
“Sure.” My skin is tingling where his is touching me.

He pulls me down the hallway and around the corner before stopping.

“I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.” He says, rubbing the back of his head.
“It’s okay. Claude saved me on time.” I respond.
“And I’m sorry for the shitty game.”
“Are you kidding? It was a fantastic game. You guys lost in overtime, but it overall was amazing. Especially that pass. Wayne might have scored the goal, but your actions tied the game.”
He smiles.
“I’m really glad you enjoyed it.”
He blushes and I can tell there’s something else he wants to say.
“I-I wanted to ask you... I was wondering... Shit, I’m bad at this.” He fumbles.
“I thought I was the socially awkward one.” I joke, trying to get him to laugh. It works and I’m rewarded with the sound of his happiness.
“See, this is why you’re so great. Like, you make me so nervous but you still make me comfortable. That’s why I want you to be my girlfriend so bad-”
His face goes bright red, and so does mine.
“You do?” I ask, my voice small and timid.
“Yeah. Kayla, I- I really like you. And I would be so happy if you would officially be my girlfriend.” He shifts nervously.

Brayden Schenn just asked me to be his girlfriend. What?

“I would love to be your girlfriend.” I blush, smiling.
“Yeah?” He beams.
“Yeah.” My smile grows.

I just said yes. I’m Brayden Schenn’s girlfriend.

Brayden’s eyes light up and he pulls me into a gigantic hug. I wrap my arms around his torso, embracing the feeling of hugging my boyfriend. He leans down and captures my lips with his, threading his fingers in my hair and rubbing my cheek with his thumb. I lean in to him, deepening the kiss.

“Yo, Schenner are we-” Hartnell rounds the corner, stopping as soon as he notices our position. “Oh! Hey there.”

His smile is huge and I feel my face redden, burying it in Brayden’s chest.

“What’s all this?” Hartnell asks in a playful voice.
“This is me kissing my girlfriend.” Brayden says, holding me tight.
“Officially?”
“Officially.”

Hartnell laughs and wraps us both in a big hug.

“It’s about fucking time!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so so so so sorry for being so horrible and not updating in like forever!!!

I'm going to try to create a better plan for this, since I kinda hated the one I had. I have a couple ideas bouncing around, so I just gotta nail it all down.

Comments would be appreciated, and will help me write more!