‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Twenty Three

“This is not my fault!” I growled as I looked at Pat, who was just shaking his head.

“I’m not saying it is! But this was why I wanted to go with you!” he stated and I just looked at him.

“Pat, no one could have seen this happening-“

“Like they didn’t see you getting attacked in Toronto- In Vancouver!” he said and I sighed.

“This is a completely different-“

“It’s not! For all we know it can be apart of this gang shit that your cousin got us all involved in!” Pat growled and I sighed, “Mags, we don’t know who did this- And if it is part of the gang that the FBI is trying to round up, then you can’t be alone.”

“I’m fine Pat- I’m fine!”

“No! You’re not!” he snapped and I winced, “Look at you Maggie! You’re fuckin’ bruised and your ribs are busted-“

“At least I’m not in the hospital this time-“

This time! Do you hear yourself Maggie- You are not to go ANYWHERE by yourself!” he yelled and I glared at him.

“I don’t need bodyguards, Patrick-“

“Well too bad, you’re getting’ them,” he said and I opened my mouth to say something, but there was a knock at my door and I opened it to see my parents and brother there. One look at my face and all shit was let loose.

“What do you mean you were attacked?!” Mom panicked as she looked at me wide eyed, afraid to touch me.

“I mean what I said, I was attacked,” I said and sighed, looking over at Pat standing on the balcony in the cold air, Nick and my dad standing in a corner looking angry and my mom looking scared, “He came at me from behind- I never saw him.”

“Did you fight back?” Dad asked and I glared at him.

“I tried to! Like I said- He came at me from behind!” I snapped and dad sighed, “Sorry if I didn’t expect to get jumped at the Olympics-“

“You also didn’t expect to get jumped in your hotel room in Toronto, but you kicked ass there,” Dad said and I growled.

“You think-“

“All right, that’s enough!” Mom barked and we all shut up, “Patrick, honey, why don’t you come inside, it’s freezing out there.”

Pat looked at her and just came inside, not a word or motion of any kind from him, I didn’t understand why he was so angry, he wasn’t the one that was jumped. He just mumbled that he was going for a walk and I flinched when the door slammed and Pat was gone.

“I don’t understand why he’s so angry,” I breathed, plopping on the end of the bed and holding my face.

“He’s not angry at you, dear,” Mom said and I looked at her.

“He’s acting like it,” I mumbled and dad sighed and sat down next to me and wrapped an arm around me shoulder.

“He’s probably angry with himself for not being there to protect you- It’s how I would feel if something happened to your mother- How I’m feeling right now for not being there to protect my daughter,” Dad said and I just looked down, “Maggie,” I looked at him, “Who do you think it was? Those gangs?”

“No, I don’t think so,” I said and sighed, “The guys think that it’s a player,” I said and Dad just looked at me, “Geno thinks it’s one of his.”

“Russian?” Mom asked and I nodded my head, “Why does he think that?”

“The guy spoke Russian to me before he knocked me out,” Mom winced when I said that, “And G translated it for me- It sounds like a jealous player.”

“What are the police doing?” Dad asked and I looked down and rubbed the back of my neck.

“Nothing,” I said and dad jumped up.

“Nothing?!” Mom yelled, “Why are they doing nothing?!”

“Because they weren’t called,” I said and looked at my parents and their eyes widened.

“Margaret Marie Marshall!” Mom yelled and I winced at the full name and looked at her, “You were attacked and you’re not going to call the police?!” she suddenly gasped and covered her mouth, “Were you- Were you raped?”

“No!” I said and she let out a breath of relief and my dad just looked at me. I stood up and looked at the two, “I don’t want the police involved because when I find the prick I’m gunna beat it in him that I’m just as good as him!”

-Kane-
I was mentally thanking whoever was the one who invented punching bags. I needed to let out the frustration with myself and just threw my fists at the large bag filled with sand. The hotel had a gym and at first I was alone, but I heard the door open and turned to see Jon walking in. I just continued to punch the bag. I wasn’t known to be a fighter on the ice, in fact I’ve never gotten into a fight, though, just because I didn’t fight on the ice, didn’t mean that I didn’t know how to fight.

“You’re hurting her again,” Jon said and I looked at him, “She thinks you’re mad at her.”

“I’m not,” I huffed and turned away from him and grabbed the towel.

“Could have fooled her,” he said and I growled, “What are you thinking?”

“I shouldn’t have fuckin’ left her!” I yelled and turned back towards Jon, glaring towards him, “I should have gone with her- After the fuckin’ gang shit- This is so fucked up!” I growled and then kicked the punching bag and threw my hands in the air.

“Pat-“

“I wasn’t fuckin’ thinking! I don’t know why I agreed for her to go without me- Without anyone!” I growled and then punched the bag a few times.

“Kane-“

“She wouldn’t have been fuckin’ jumped if someone was with her!” I was catching my breathed as I backed up, leaned against the wall, fell to the ground and leaned my elbows against my bent knees, my hands in my hair, “It’s my fault-“

“It’s not your fault- It’s not her fault- This guy is a fucked up pussy who attacked her blind with jealousy and he didn’t have the balls to face her- He had to cower as he beat her,” Jon said and my mouth went dry as I thought of Maggie passed out on the ground for hours.

“I’m gunna kill this fuckin’ prick,” I growled and Jon looked at me and nodded my head.

“Let Malkin find him first,” Jon said and I sighed and nodded my head, “In the mean time- Go be with your girl, I’m sure she wants you to be there with her.”

Jon held out his hand and I grabbed it and he pulled me up, I looked at him and nodded my head and then the two of us walked out of the gym, headed to the elevators and to our separate floors. I walked to my door, opened it and found Maggie’s family to be gone, but Maggie was standing on the balcony looking at the view of Olympic park.

I sighed and walked over towards her and came up next to her, leaned against the banister and looked at the view. I sighed, “I’m sorry, I’m not angry with you.”

“I know,” she said and I looked at her, biting my lip when I see her bruised cheek, “You’re sweaty.”

“I was in the gym,” I said and she nodded her head, “I’m gunna shower.”

“All right,” Maggie breathed and I turned and made it about two steps before turning around, grabbing Maggie and gently pressing my lips onto hers.

I pulled back and leaned my forehead against hers and rubbed her un-bruised cheek with my thumb, “I love you Mags.”

“I love you too,” she said and I kissed her forehead before turning and heading for the bathroom.

I closed the door, walked over towards the shower, turned the water on and started to strip. I tossed my clothes to the corner and stepped into the shower. A few minutes in, I felt that I wasn’t alone and opened the curtain to see Maggie walking towards me. I smiled towards her, she was getting undressed.

“Thought you might want company,” she said and I nodded my head, watching the shirt come over her head and I looked away when I saw the wrap that was covering her bruises to help her busted ribs.

I felt her hands on my skin and looked up to see her stepping into the shower, I moved my hands to her hips and pushed her closer to me and felt her hands on my shoulders. I kissed her head and then watched as she grabbed the sponge and her coconut scented body soap and started to wash herself. I ended up taking the sponge and I didn’t know why, but I just really wanted to wash her, I was careful when I got to her stomach, knowing it was the area where her ribs hurt.

When we both washed and rinsed, I pulled the tab up in the tub to let the water start to fill. I laid down in the tub and Maggie laid on top of me, she faced me and wrapped her arms around my chest and laid her head on my shoulder. The shower head was pouring hot water onto our skin and filling up the tub; we were both comfortable and didn’t want to move.

-Maggie-
I was so happy that we didn’t have a game that day or the next day. Pat and I laid in the bed and he just held me until we fell asleep again listening to nothing, or watched TV. We fought to find a station in English, but we finally found one thanks to Oshie, he had managed to find one and basically told everyone.

Pat and I were lying on the couch, I was snuggled into his side, I looked up towards him and saw him fast asleep, I smiled and kissed his bare shoulder and laid my head back down when there was a knock on the door. I sighed and then gently pulled myself out of Pat’s arms and crawled out of the bed before quietly running to the door and opening it to see Geno standing there with Ovechkin and Datsyuk behind him.

“You find him?”