‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Thirty

“Maggie,” I turned and saw Pat and Jon, I looked towards my teammates and nudged my head for them to continue to the locker room, “Hey, I heard about Letang,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “Sorry, it was a stroke?”

“Yeah, that’s what they’re saying, he had a hole in his heart and he’s going to be on medicine- But he won’t play for a while,” I said, rubbing my arm and looking down.

“Who found him?” Jon asked and I looked at him sadly.

“I did,” I said and the two looked at me surprised, “Coach made us roommates, I should I saw something wrong, he was acting weird since I came back from Sochi- And before practice he was having chest pains,” I sighed and looked down, he went to bed at seven- I was with some of the guys watching TV. Went to bed around eleven and at four in the morning- I don’t know, something just felt wrong and I woke up and found him on the floor.”

“Sorry,” Jon said and I nodded my head, I looked towards Pat to see him just looking at me.

“I’m gunna head to the locker room, good luck today, guys,” I said and kissed Pat’s cheek and then headed for the locker room.

-Kane-
“What was that?” Jon asked and I looked at him confused.

“What?”

“You kind of blew her off,” he said and I shook my head.

“No I didn’t-“

“Pat,” he said and I sighed, “You didn’t like that Letang was her roommate?”

“Why would she agree to room with him?” I asked and then rolled my eyes, “Why would they assign the two together?”

“You worry too much, Maggie’s not going to do anything,” Jon said and I looked at him, “And with Letang in the hospital- He can’t do anything either.”

“When’s that petition gunna be complete?!” I growled as the two of us turned around and started to head back to our locker room.

“Hopefully by the end of the month, we’re still waiting for a few teams to hand theirs in,” Jon said and I sighed and nodded my head.

Today’s game was supposed to be held at three in the afternoon, but was pushed back until seven, because of the snow storm that we were getting. Once everyone was dressed in their gear and it was time to head on the ice for warm ups, we all got a taste of how cold it really was.

“It’s gunna be hard to play,” Corey said and I nodded my head, the snow was coming down and just minutes after we were on the ice, it was covered with white fluff.

-Maggie-
“Just remember it to be pond hockey,” Sidney said and I glared at him, “Oh right, Texas,” he said and I rolled my eyes and sighed, “Just focus on skating now so that you’ll get used to it.”

“Fine,” I said and started to skate around our side of the ice, a Pittsburgh Penguins beanie on my head and my signature side braid. Occasionally I would toss a puck towards the net, some making it in, some being saved by Marc.

The whole time that I was on the ice, I watched as the snow fell and continued to cover the ice, I reminded myself that I needed to be extra careful tonight because this was going to be a tough game not only because we were up against Chicago, a good team, but because of the weather.

“Maggie, Maggie,” I heard and saw a few reporters, I sighed and headed over towards them, most of them started to ask me how it felt to win gold, to play on the men’s team, how one asked what my thoughts were on the Chicago team and how I thought this game was going to go, “We all know that Chicago is a great hockey club and they’re not going to take anything lightly and they’re going to want to build a dynasty to defend themselves. They’re Stanley Cup Champions for a reason; they play the game the right way, great offense and amazing defense and goaltending. I would say that tonight’s going to be a tough game not only because of who we’re playing but because of the weather.”

“Now, rumor has it that you’re in a relationship with Blackhawk winger, Patrick Kane- Is that true?” the one reporter asked and I just looked at him, “We saw that you had attended the Game six, seeing them win the Cup.”

“Uh, yeah, any other hockey related questions?” I asked and two more were thrown out, the one was asking about how Kris was, but I wasn’t allowed to give out any information about him. At the end I thanked them and headed back into the locker room, shaking my head.

“What’s up?” James asked as I plopped on the bench in front of my stall.

“Fuckin’ vultures,” I mumbled and he chuckled and nodded his head.

Coach came in and gave us some advice on how to handle the weather and the Blackhawks. Apparently it was still snowing and it was only going to get worse, I was surprised that they still wanted to have the game and not postpone it. Once it was time to head back out there, we walked the padded trail towards the rink in the middle of the football stadium.

It was a difficult game for us, I don’t really know what happened, we had to constantly stop the game to clean the snow. The puck bounced from my stick more times than I could count, and twice I even lost the puck in the white fluff that covered the ice. By the end of the game, the final score was five to one, Chicago, James was the only one to score a goal for us and he did it unassisted.

Jon was a goal shy from a hat trick and Pat won the third star, Sharp the second, and Jon the first. It was a good game, a tough game, but in the end, we just didn’t play well enough. As soon as I got back into the locker room, I took my gear off and headed towards the locker room, showering and changing and wanting to put the game behind me.

When everyone was ready, the bus took us back to the hotel where we were staying until later the next day. We had an early evening flight to Nashville tomorrow because two days from then we had a game against the Predators. I was in my room; I changed into tight dark wash jeans, black Ugg boots and a oversize long sleeve grey woolen sweater. I had my hair in a messy bun and took my contacts out and threw my glasses on. My phone buzzed on my bed and I grabbed it to see that it was Pat texting me, he was telling me that he was downstairs, I was going back to his place to stay the night and we could relax together.

“You look cute,” I heard and turned to see Kunitz and Marc dressed in workout clothes looking like they were heading towards the hotel gym.

“Uh, thanks, I’m going out,” I said and Kunitz smirked.

“With Kane?” Marc asked and I nodded my head.

“We’re just stayin’ in and being lazy,” I said and they nodded their heads and I headed for the elevator. I reached the lobby and walked outside to see Pat parked in front, I smiled and hopped into his Hummer and immediately pressed my lips against his, he was still dressed in his suit from the game.

“No love for me?” I hear and my head snapped around and I see Jon and Andrew Shaw in the backseat.

“I didn’t know you were there,” I giggled and gave Shaw a high five and Jon and I didn’t our dorky elbow tap, don’t ask me how that started, I have no clue, “So what are we doing?”

“Goin’ back to my place,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “Shaw has his car there and Jon is- I don’t know,” he laughed and I giggled and looked at Jon in the backseat, who just shrugged his shoulders.

“I’m just along for the ride,” he said and I rolled my eyes.

“So, about that ga-“

“You finish that sentence and I will hurt you so much you’ll be screaming for your Mom,” I barked at Shaw and he just slumped back in the seat.

“Yeah, sorry dude, we promised each other we wouldn’t talk about the game, no matter who one,” Jon said and I felt Pat’s fingers lace with mine and I looked at him, he was driving his Hummer.

We got back to Pat’s place and it wasn’t long before the door was opening and people were coming in, mostly girlfriends that wanted to see me, or Hawks that didn’t have a chance to properly hug me before or after the game.

“Maggie!” I heard and turned around just in time to be tackled to the ground by Abby Sharp.

“Yup, missed you too Abs,” I groaned as I patted Abby’s back and looked up towards all the guys around us chuckling.

“Mommy funny, daddy,” Madelyn, Sharp’s oldest daughter, giggled as Abby sat up and hugged me.

“I missed you, Maggie! How much longer until you’re in Chicago?!” she asked excitedly.

“Uh, hopefully not too much longer,” I said and Abby got off of me.

“Auntie Mags!” Madelyn squealed and jumped on my lap and hugged me.

“Like mother, like daughter,” I laughed and hugged the little three year old.

“Wait, wait, me next, me next!”

Nooooooo!!! You’ll crush me!” I yelled when Sharp wanted to tackle me too.

After a while, everyone left and Pat and I were finally alone. It was really late and when I looked at the clock it was close to midnight. I was in the kitchen grabbing a drink of water when I felt arms around my waist. I smiled and turned around, placing my hands on Pat’s bare shoulders.

“I missed you,” he said and then pressed his lips against mine. Pat placed me on the counter and ran his hand down my sides, on my thighs, and down my legs, “I fuckin’ hate these boots,” he laughed when he saw my Uggs and I rolled my eyes, but giggled when he slipped them off of my feet, “But I love you.”

“I love you too, and leave my boots alone,” I giggled as he slipped the other one off and dropped
them to the floor. One thing lead to another and we left a trail of my clothes to the bedroom.