‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Thirty Six

“Maggie? Maggie? Can you hear me?” I groaned and blinked my eyes opened, I was on my stomach on the ice, “Maggie?”

“What happened?” I groaned and then picked my body up a little and leaning on my elbows. I groaned, my head hurt, I snapped off my helmet and grabbed my head.

“Talk to me Mags, what’s goin’ on?”

I took a deep breath and then pushed my head up and picked up, leaning on my legs. I immediately felt a towel on the side of my face; I guessed that I was bleeding. James appeared in front of me and I looked at him, he bent down and sighed.

“What happened?” I asked and James turned his head and glared at someone, I followed his gaze and saw Ovechkin and Crosby in a confrontation.

“Ovechkin elbowed you in the head,” James growled.

“Why do they go for the head- Fuckin’ pricks,” I growled and then groaned when I tried to stand, but the room started to spin.

“I’m gunna rule this a concussion,” Eric, the trainer said as he and James grabbed me as I wobbled a little.

“I’m good,” I said and James looked at me sadly, “I’m ok.”

“No you’re not,” Eric said, “Let Doc at last look at you.”

“Just do it, Mags,” James said and I sighed and nodded my head, but then groaned and pinched the bridge of my nose.

“How is she?” I looked up and see, Sidney, Beau and Paul in front of me.

“I’ll be fine,” I said and they all gave me a look, “Guys-“

“I’m just gunna have Doc look at her just to be sure,” Eric said and Sidney nodded his head and then I slowly started to skate towards the bench, the one staff opened the door and I stepped off of the ice and headed down the hallway, back towards the locker room.

-Kane-
There were six minutes left in the Pittsburgh/ Washington game, Maggie and Ovechkin were neck and neck, fighting for the puck in the corner. She was behind him and we watched as he turned around and elbowed Maggie right in the head, I was pretty sure that she took a stick to the face as well, but they showed blood on the ground.

Crosby and Ovechkin started a pushing match, something the refs quickly broke up and the Pittsburgh goaltender, Zatkoff, who replaced Fleury after the hit to the head, quickly made his way to his teammate who was on the ice not morning. I was on the edge of my seat, the worried boyfriend was taking over and I just wanted to head to Pittsburgh to make sure she was all right and Ovechkin got his ass kicked.

I felt a little better when I watched her skate off of the ice, she was slow, but she did it on her own and I was happy. The score was two to zero, Pittsburgh and I was hoping that with six minutes left in the game, Washington didn’t catch up.

“Ovechkin, Green, rookie- Anyone else’s ass we need to kick when we play them?” Shaw said and I just looked at the TV.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and sent Maggie a text, asking if she was all right, I knew she wasn’t going to respond right away, but I wanted to send it. We watched the rest of the game, the Penguins’ had a shutout, but Maggie never came back out onto the ice.

It wasn’t until an hour after the game ended did I get a text back from Maggie, she had a mild concussion and would be out for two to three games, but she said hopefully two because she had four day break until her next game.

-Maggie-
I had missed two games, one away, one home, back to back, both against the Flyers, we lost both of them. It was Sunday, I had watched the afternoon game against the Flyers on my TV with Nick, Dana, Justin, Aaron, Greg and Jake, they’ve been with me the whole time, kept me company through the concussion.

I had them for another three days and then they would head back to Vancouver, they would stay to watch the home game against the Stars, and then leave the next day, the same day that we leave for Detroit, for our game the next day.

When the game was over, we watched the highlights of all of the games, Pat had an afternoon game this afternoon against Detroit, they won with the final score of four to one. After about two hours after the game was over, I heard my front door open upstairs and then heard my name, Nick yelled that we were downstairs and I heard multiple feet.

“How are you feeling?” I turned my head to see James, Geno, Matt, Sidney and Marc.

“I’m feeling fine, where are my roomies?” I asked talking about Beau, Olli, Jayson and Brian.

“Upstairs,” James said and I nodded my head, he came over, plopped down next to me and I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry about the game,” I said and he patted my knee, I watched as the other four came over and got themselves comfortable on the couch or floor, and then I heard more footsteps and turned to see Beau, Olli, Jayson and Brian, “Hey guys.”

“How do you feel?” Beau asked and I nodded my head, “When will you be back?”

“For the Stars,” I said and they nodded their heads. I had a full room, Dana, Nick, Jake, Justin, Aaron, Greg, James, Marc, Sidney, Geno, Matt, Beau, Olli, Brian and Jayson. There were sixteen of us in the room, of course I didn’t have enough couch room for everyone, no one wanted to talk about the game, and no one brought it up. Nick popped in a movie and I found it to be Captain America.

Half way through the movie, Sidney left, he had plans with his girlfriend for over a year, Kasey. I was happy for him, we were all happy for him; he was learning to balance his hockey and personal life. Most of the guys were here, other than Marc, was because they didn’t have girlfriends or anyone to go home to. Marc was here because Vero went back to Canada for the weekend to visit her sick mother.

When the boys were here for a while, we decided to order pizza and wings because I knew that everyone was getting hungry. Nick placed the order for three large pizzas and four dozen wings, the guys each threw some money in and I just sat there and waited for the food to show.

The pizza had come and we were eating while moving onto another movie, the latest Iron Man, when I heard the door open and close from upstairs, I watched as my dogs jumped up and started to dart up the stairs. I looked at my teammates and family confused and then got up and followed the dogs.

I walked up the stairs and heard chuckling and peaked my head around the corner and smiled brightly at the sight, “What are you doing here?!”

“We play the Flyers in two days, thought I’d come in early and see you,” Pat said and I smiled and walked over towards him, wrapped my arms around him and he pressed his lips against mine, “I’ll leave Tuesday morning and drive down to Philly.”

“It’s like a two- two and a half hour drive,” I said and Pat nodded his head, I just looked at him, squealed and hugged him again, “I’m so happy to see you!”

“Who is it, Mags?” I heard and turned to see Nick appearing from downstairs, “Of course,” he chuckled, “What are you doin’ here, Kaner?”

“Surprise your sister,” Pat said and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Good to see you,” Nick said and I smiled at the fact that the two got along.

“We’ll be down in a bit,” I said and Nick nodded his head.

“You have guest?” Pat asked and I nodded my head and Nick snorted.

“There’s like fifteen of us down there,” Nick said and then headed back downstairs and Pat looked at me confused.

“Who’s all here?”

“Uh, me, Dana, Justin, Aaron, Jake, Greg-“

“You’re cousins?” he asked and I nodded my head.

“And then some teammates,” I said and Pat nodded his head and kissed my cheek, “Come on, let’s bring your bag upstairs.”

“All right,” Pat said and then we went upstairs and into my room, where as soon as that door was closed, Pat quickly grabbed me and pressed his lips against mine.

-Nick-
“Who’s here?” Neal asked as I came back downstairs and saw everyone looking at me.

“Kane,” I said and some looked at me surprised, “Don’t ask me why and for how long, he kind of just pops in.”

“Somehow, he’s growing on me,” my younger, but bigger cousin, Jake said and his three brothers chuckled and nodded their heads, “What about you guys- You like Kane?” he asked, talking to Maggie’s teammates.

“He’s all right, as long as he treats her right,” Fleury said and I nodded my head.

‘…She is happy with him- I see it…’