‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Forty Seven

“Ok, ok, I’ve got a place to show you, Mags,” Pat said over the phone as I had it on speaker, in the middle of packing my room up, back in Pittsburgh.

“Ok, what is it?” I giggled, seeing Jazz trotting into the room and rubbing against me.

“You’ll see when you come back- When do you come back?” Pat asked and I looked at the calendar on the wall, it was Saturday, two days after the charity event, tomorrow the boys had their Game one conference finals against the Kings.

“Um, probably Wednesday or Thursday,” I said and scratched Jazz’s head, I’m going to pack all of my stuff, throw it in the Escalade- Nick’s going to follow me up in his new Tahoe with the dogs and some of my stuff.”

“Ok, not positive if I’ll be here, you have the key and I’ll let the doorman know that you and your brother will be here,” he said and I smiled.

“All right, I hope you’re still there,” I said and giggled when Jazz was nudging me with his head.

“Me too, but I might be heading to LA, not sure when we’re leaving,” Pat said and then I heard him muttering to someone, “Seabs says-“

“Hiiiiiiiiii Maggie!!!” he yelled into the phone and I giggled, “We miss you!!!”

“Miss you too, Seabiscuit,” I giggled and heard the two laugh, “What are you up to?”

“Just getting out of practice,” Pat said and I smiled, “I’m gunna head home and get some food and then sleep.”

“Ok, call me before your game.”

“Will do,” Pat said and then yelled at someone for chirping him, “Love you Maggie- Shut up, assholes!”

I giggled and shook my head, “Love you too, Pat,” we hung up and then I sighed and looked at Jazz, he was sitting in front of me, “You gunna help me pack?” I giggled when Jazz’s head cocked to the side, “Go lay down and let me pack.”

Of course he didn’t listen, deciding to plop himself on a pile of my neatly folded jeans. I laughed and shook my head, pulling my jeans out from under him and continuing to pack, most of my clothes already neatly put away. Beau and Olli were downstairs packing my pictures and décor away in the basement, I was letting them keep a lot of the stuff and they were going to pay me rent to stay in the house.

I was in the middle of continuing packing when there was a knock on the door, I turned around and felt someone small jump onto my back, “Auntie Maggie!” I turned and giggled ad when I saw Alex, I looked up and saw Kris walking into the room, I would never tell him, or anyone, but it always hurt me when I saw his son, it was a reminder of what he did.

“Hi honey, what’s this surprise for?!” I asked the soon to be three year old.

“Daddy say we see you!” he smiled and I giggled and ruffled his hair, “Packing?”

He was adorable, I smiled and nodded my head, “I’m moving.”

“You’re leaving?” he asked as he plopped himself on my floor and started to pet Jazz, who started to nuzzle his head into Alex’s body, making the young boy laugh.

“Yes, I’m leaving, you’ll see me again, I’ll make sure your daddy bring you around when I’m in town,” I said and gave a small smile towards Kris, “Why don’t you play with Jazz,” I said and then stood up and walked out of the room with Kris, “What’s up?”

“Just wanted to come over, before you left- Or before we left.”

“When are you heading back to Canada?”

“Monday,” he said and I nodded my head, “When are you going to Chicago?”

“Driving up with Nicky on Thursday, slowly packing my things now, and during the summer we’ll bring the rest of my thinks up,” I said and then sighed, “Never realized how much shit I had,” I said and he chuckled.

“Let me know if you need help with anything,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Thanks, but I’ve got Beau and Olli working for food,” I said and Kris let out a laugh.

“I’m sure they’re loving that,” Kris said and I looked up at him and giggled a little, “Mags,” he sighed and looked down really quick and then looked up, “Are you sure about this?” he asked and I waited for him to continue, “Moving to Chicago?”

I placed my hand on his arm and smiled towards him, “I’m sure,” I said and Kris sighed, “I’m happy with Pat, I’ve kept him waiting two years,” I said and Kris looked at me, “It’s time for me to go.”

“We’re gunna miss you,” he said and I nodded my head, “I’m going to miss you.”

“Kris-“

“No, I just needed to say that,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“And you know, a part of me is going to miss you too,” I said and Kris pulled me closer, wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me. I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist.

“I still am sorry for everything that happened to us,” Kris said as we pulled back and his hand was on my shoulder, “But I’m happy that you’re happy.”

“I am happy, Kris- And I hope that one day you will be too,” I said and Kris looked down, “You might not be happy with Catherine, but,” I sighed, “You’ve got a son, but happy for him.”

“I am,” he said and I nodded my head, “Good luck in Chicago.”

“Don’t forget my favor,” I said and Kris looked at me, “Give me a challenge when we play against each other.”

Kris chuckled, “You know I will.”

“I’m planning on it.”

-Kane-
I walked into my home, feeling completely defeated and happy at the fact that I was back in Chicago. I threw my suitcase and jacket into the corner and gave a small smile when three happy dogs came towards me and tried to jump on me. I pushed them down and pet them and looked up to see Maggie leaning against the counter. We weren’t able to see each other before I left for LA, so this was the first time I was seeing her since she left after the charity event to go home and pack.

Game four was last night and the Kings had won again, the series was three to one, Kings. Game five was in two nights and if we lost that game, we were going to lose the series all together. When Maggie saw me, she came over wrapped her arms around me and held me tight.

“It’s not over yet, Pat,” she said and then cupped my face and kissed me, “You’ve got one more chance, it’s not over yet- Don’t let it be over, it’s going to be all right.”

“I’m happy you’re here,” I breathed and Maggie gave me a small smiled and hugged me again. She kissed my cheek and then pressed her lips against mine. I heard a kid’s laugh and turned my head to see Troy, Maggie’s nephew on the couch, “Troy?”

“Uh yeah, I’ve been meaning to tell you,” she said and I looked at her, “Emma and Troy are moving to Chicago,” Maggie said and I just looked at Troy, “I’m helping her apartment hunt. Is that all right?”

“It’s fine, babe,” I said and gave her a small smile. I walked away from her and over towards Troy, “Hey buddy,” I smiled, picking him up and propping him on my hip, “You having fun?”

“I think he’s enjoying your non-baby proof home,” Maggie said and I chuckled and shrugged my shoulders, “Have to watch this one like a hawk,” she giggled, standing in front of me, grabbing the two year olds hand and kissing it.

“Where’s Emma?” I asked, looking around.

“Looking at apartments with the realtor,” she said and I nodded my head, “So where’s this place that you wanted to show me last week- Said I would see it when we were both here.”

“Oh! Yeah, we can go now if you want,” I said and Maggie smiled and nodded her head, “Um, I don’t have a car seat.”

“I do, we’ll take my car,” she said and I chuckled and nodded my head, “I gotta say, I’m pretty turned on right now.”

I smiled brightly, “Well, we could put him down for a nap and then road trip,” I said and Maggie smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Come to Auntie Maggie while Uncle Pat brings us to a secret spot,” Maggie said and I smirked and watched as she held her nephew, wondering if this was how it was going to be when we had children of our own.

‘…I want it all, I want it with her…’ I thought as Maggie giggled and kissed her nephew, watching him laugh, “Hey Mags,” I called and she looked at me, “How long is your contract with us?”

“Three years,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Why?”

“Uh, no reason,” I said and bit the inside of my lip, ‘…Don’t be selfish, she deserves to have career too…’

“Hey,” Maggie called and I looked at her, “What is it?”

“Um, it’s nothing,” I said but she just looked at me, “It’s stupid.”

“Pat, what is it?!”

“I just- Don’t laugh!” I said and Maggie nodded her head, placing Troy in his playpen behind the couch, “I was just thinking about what it would be like to have a family.”

Maggie smiled at me, stepped closer, her hands on my chest, she leaned up and pressed her lips against mine and I wrapped my arms around her. She pulled back and kissed my cheek, “Nothing stupid about that, Patrick.”