‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Eighty Seven

-Emma-
A few days had gone by, Dana had to go back to Carolina, Nick had to go back to school; however, I was still sitting alongside Jon, holding his hand as his parents and younger brother stood on the other side, it was an awkward first meeting.

During those few days, the medical team managed to find an antidote to whatever the Jon and his team had consumed, they were given the medicine this morning and we had hoped that they would be waking up within the day or so.

Police had managed to prove that it was the Senator’s son, Grant Burnley, who was responsible for this and had made a warrant for his arrest. His accomplices were already taken in for questioning and were given a deal if they spilled their guts on what this was, because if they didn’t, they were looking at aiding and abiding attempted manslaughter's. Even the Senator himself was brought into custody; however, was later released and proven innocent of the crime. The hunt was still on for Grant Burnley, he wasn’t leaving the state and if anyone helped him, they would get sent to jail, so there weren’t going to be a lot of people out there, no one thought that he was going to get far, it was just a matter of time.

It was late in the day, the sun had passed hours ago and Troy was asleep on the cot in the corner of the room, his head sitting on Mrs. Toews lap, she was enjoying Troy’s company and I smiled at that. Jon had told her my story and I guess took a liking to me before she even met me.

I was drifting off to sleep, my head on the bed, my hand holding Jon’s when I felt him squeeze my hand. I shot out of the bed, earning the attention of his parents and brother. I stared at Jon, “Jon?” I called and placed my hand on his shoulder.

“What is it?” Mr. Toews asked.

“I felt him squeeze my hand,” I said and he looked at me surprised and then walked next to his son and took his son’s hand, “Jon,” I called, “Can you hear me?” I asked and then smiled when he squeezed our hands, “He’s waking up.”

-Maggie-
I could hear beeping all around me and I tried to remember what had happened, in the distance I could have sworn that I heard my mother’s voice, she was singing the lullaby that she use to sing to me as a child. I groaned and then sucked in the air, I heard creaking of a chair then felt a hand on my arm and a dip in my bed.

“Maggie?” I heard and then blinked my eyes opened to see my mother next to me, she started to cry as she held my hand and kissed it, “Oh Maggie, my sweet girl.”

“Mom,” I managed to croak out.

“Dave!” my mom called for my father and I groaned as I tried to push myself up, “No honey, stay down, you don’t have the energy yet.”

“What is- Maggie,” my dad said and then ran over to my side and kissed my head, “You’re awake, that’s eleven of them that are awake.”

“Awake? What?” I asked confused and looked around to see that I was in the hospital, “What happened?”

“You were poisoned, you and your teammates,” dad explained and I shot up and then gasped in pain, “Whoa, easy, easy, slow down.”

“Pat! Where’s Pat?!”

“He’s all right, calm down, calm down,” dad said and then he and mom pushed me down, “He hasn’t woken up yet, but they expect him soon, I’ll go get the doctor.”

“How long have I been here?” I asked and mom looked at me, “Mom?”

“Six days,” she said and my eyes widened, “You’ve all been here six days, all of your games have been postponed and, well, the NHL is going to take your situation one day at a time.”

“They find who did it?”

“The Senator’s son, the one who apparently started drama with you at the club,” she said and I sighed.

“Should have known,” I growled and clenched my fists, “They find him?”

“No, they found his accomplices, but he’s not getting far. A reward was posted so you know there’s a lot of people out there looking for him,” mom said and I nodded my head, “Your brother and father wanted to go.”

“Where is Nicky?”

“We sent him back to school,” she said and I nodded my head, “You can call him later to let him know you’re all right.”

The curtain opened and my dad walked in with the doctor behind him, he looked me over and then gave me a smile, saying that I looked good and it was going to take a few days for me to be able to get my strength back. I asked my dad who was awake, he answered with Jon, Hossa, Sharpie, Smith, Versteeg, Bickell, Carcillo, Oduya, Kruger, Morin and myself. My dad informed me that when the doctors started to give us the antidote that one of the rookies that was brought up had an allergic reaction to it and had to be placed on something else.

“I heard you were awake,” I heard and looked up to see a smiling Emma, “I’m so glad.”

“Em,” I said and looked down to see that she was holding Troy’s hands as she walked into the room.

“There’s my favorite grandbaby,” mom said and I smiled and watched as she picked the boy up and plop him on her lap.

“I’m glad you’re all right, I don’t think I could manage if I lost you too,” she said and I grabbed her hand and smiled towards her, “Jon woke up yesterday, I couldn’t stop crying,” she said and then started to cry again, “And we’re going to do it all over again.”

“At least they’re happy tears, dear,” mom said and Emma nodded her head and then hugged me.

“How’s Pat?”

“He’s stable, his parents and sister are over there, they came over and saw you a few times,” dad said and I nodded my head.

“I want to see him,” I said and mom sighed and shook her head.

“Not yet, get your strength up,” she said and I looked down sadly, “How ‘bout you call your brother?”

“All right,” I said and my dad handed me his cell phone. I dialed my brother’s number, listened to it ring and then I heard his urgent voice.

“Dad! Is she all right?!” I bit my lip and sniffled, “Dad?!”

“Hiya Nicky,” I said and wiped my tears.

“Mags?”

“Yeah, I’m here baby bro,” I said and Nick laughed and then I heard him start to cry.

“I’m so happy you’re all right, Maggie,” he said and I leaned my head back and sighed.

“You and me both, Nicky, trust me,” I said and laughed a little, “We’re you in class? I’ll let you go-“

“Fuck class,” he said and then laughed, “I’m heading back to Chicago.”

“You sure?”

“For you, Mags- Anything,” he said and I sighed.

“I’ll see you soon then, Nicky,” I said and then we exchanged our ‘I love you’s and then I handed the phone back to my dad, “He’s coming to Chicago.”

“Figured he would be,” dad said and I nodded my head and then laid back on the bed, “You should get some rest, you’ll need it to get your strength back up.”

-Emma-
“So Maggie’s awake?” Jon said and I sat next to him and nodded my head, “What about Pat?”

“Not yet,” I said and nodded my head, I was sitting on the bed holding his hand. Troy was on the other side, his head on Jon’s shoulder and his little body in-between Jon’s arm and body, I smiled at the sight, “Some of the others are waking up too. The doctors say that you guys will be able to walk around in a day or two.”

“I can’t wait to get out of this bed,” Jon said and I nodded my head, but then just looked at him and bit my lip, “What are you thinking?” he asked, moving his hand up and cupping my neck, rubbing his thumb on my cheek.

“You scared me,” I said, tears starting to form, “I had lost Mikey, I couldn’t lose you too, Jon.”

“You didn’t,” he said and then pulled me down and pressed his lips against mine, “I’m right here,” he wiped my tears away and then looked at me, “So you met my parents.”

I let out a laugh and Jon smiled, “That was so awkward at first,” I said and then held Jon’s hand again, “But I think they like me.”

“I’m sure they do,” he said and I kissed his hand, “Any news on the fuc-“ Jon looked at Troy, “Guy who did this?”

“Not yet, I guess the police are closing in though,” I said and Jon sighed and nodded his head, “You should get some rest, maybe they’ll let you walk around tomorrow.”

“Stay with me?” he asked and I smiled.

“Babe, I haven’t left your side just about the whole time,” I said and Jon smiled and then pulled my hand to his lips and kissed it.

“I’m glad you’re here, Emma,” he said, looking up at me and looking like he wanted to say more, but he didn’t.

I just smiled and nodded my head, “Me too.”