Status: Currently in the works.

Playing With Fire

Chapter Sixteen

It was time. The Cullen’s had gathered all their witnesses, the wolves were ready and Princess and Kitten followed behind in their cloaks. They all gathered in the field where the snow was sticking to the ground and piling up carefully. Princess and Embry stayed towards the back of those gathering while Kitten and Paul stood for front. Kitten wouldn’t let anyone through; she wouldn’t allow harm to come to any of those witnesses who had gathered today. It was a promise she’d made herself. A promise she fully intended on keeping no matter how bad things got to be.

Behind Kitten and Paul stood Edward, Bella, Renesmee and Jacob, the four of them had already talked about what happened if a war broke out. Jacob would take off with Renesmee on his back and at least they’d get out safely. Kitten had reassured them multiple times there will not be a fight involving the Cullen family and their witnesses. She knew the only fight there would be today and though she knew what she would have to do she was not pleased and she was fighting with her own agony to simply stand tall.

People were counting on her. Not just the dead beings she normally protected, people with beating hearts, wolves who had full lives to live and parents and families. She wouldn’t let death come to so many, she wouldn’t let it be a tragedy for anyone but her. She stood a little straighter as she heard the crunching of the snow in light footsteps coming towards them and then in the blink of an eye Aro and his guard and all his witnesses were gathered on the other side of the field.

Aro didn’t seem fazed by the abundance of vampires and wolves that were standing across from him. He didn’t make any kind of move or slight twitch of the face to indicate that he even cared for what was about to transpire. Kitten kept her face stone cold as her father did; she glanced around recognizing those in the army her father had created. Her task would not be easy but she could do it.

“Kitten, My darling daughter! What a surprise to see you here,” Aro spoke softly but even across the field Kitten heard his voice loud and clear. No need for shouting with supper animal like hearing around. She looked to Paul and then back at Renesmee slowly turning back to her father.

“I’m here to confirm that there was no wrong doing,” She spoke her voice ice cold trying her best to keep any emotion from this exchange. Aro rose an eyebrow and motioned for Caius and Marcus to grab the person who had informed them of the wrong doing in the first place. “The child is not immortal, She is like Princess, part human, part vampire,” she announced clearly so everyone could hear.

“Oh my dear, why didn’t you just come home and say such things! We could have avoided this all together,” Aro’s voice was mocking her and she could feel it bubble uncomfortably in her chest. “Though to be sure you haven’t been jaded by the Cullen’s I need Princess to step forward and confirm that you are telling the truth,” Kitten wanted to growl and she could hear Paul and Embry growling loudly.

“Fine,” kitten walked to the back of the group and gently took Princess’ hand. Princess looked at her warily and Alice gave her the saddest look Kitten has ever seen grace Alice’s gentle features. She took a deep breath as if to make room in her chest for the heart break that was to come. Kitten gently tangled her fingers in Princess’ hand. She held her head high as she gave Paul a knowing look as they slowly passed every one. Then in the blink of an eye Kitten and Princess were in front of Aro. Two of the guard went to grab kitten only to fall to the ground clutching their head.

“No need for that dear,” Caius snidely commented and she growled her hands moving to Princess’ hips as Aro took Princess’ hand. She watched as Caius tilted his head watching Kitten curiously and she knew what that meant. He was perching himself for attack, an attack that would never happen, an attack Kitten would never allow.

“She speaks the truth,” Aro says after a moment letting go of Princess’ hand. Kitten held her hands steady on Princess’ hips refusing to budge an inch. “but this is getting a be a problem,” He drawled on making a sad face. “I’m afraid there is only room in my kingdom for one human hybrid. The other must be killed,” She could hear the tense screaming thoughts of those behind her doing everything in their power to stay still.

“You will not kill an innocent life, I will not allow it,” Kitten’s steady voice shocked even her. She didn’t know she had that command in her. She didn’t like that part of her was trained to think like her father, if she could even in good conscious call him that.

“You make the choice Kitten, after all Princess’ is partially responsible for you allowing this thing to live,” He explained and Caius looked absolutely over joyed that Aro was making Kitten choose who died. “I could just as easily kill her then the balance would be settled,” A feral noise ripped through Kitten.

“You won’t touch either of them,” She demanded. Aro frowned and made a motion with his hands and suddenly Kitten could hear the thoughts of the others ‘kill kill kill’ chanting in their heads. Kitten felt sick as she out stretched a hand and the two that were now racing towards Renesmee fell to the ground clutching their heads. Some of the vampires with the Cullen’s made an attempt to move but Alice stopped them. She knew what was going to happen. No one needed to be worried.

“Someone must pay and after all you’ve been consorting with werewolves, what am I to think of that dear? That you are a traitor? I always knew Princess would betray me for her heart, but not you my dear,” He spoke as if he were taunting her hanging everything she loved on a stick and waving it in front of her face like she was going to be able to save it all in time.

“The wolves are none of your concern” She spat feeling Princess tense and try to back away. Kitten nodded allowing her finger tips to slip from Princess’ hips as she began to make her way back to the pack of vampires on the other side.

“But my dear someone must be punished and that someone is you,” He spoke lowly as if everyone wasn’t going to hear her and he darted out an arm to grab her as three volturi guard ran past them and towards Princess.

That eerily murderer feeling crept inside of Kitten as that blind rage was boiling deep inside her. No one would her Princess. She wouldn’t allow it. She threw Aro back and raced forward grabbing one guy by the hair and easily beheading and destroying him the other two already had a hold on Princess and Embry was rushing forward. He wouldn’t get a chance to get a mouth on them. Kitten let out an animalistic growl and suddenly the two guard members who were trying desperately to kill princess were on fire.

Burning from the inside out they began to fall to the ground screaming in agony gripping at the snow as if it was going to relieve them from the pain they were feeling as they burned to their death. Embry rushed out with Paul both wolves nudging Princess to a standing position and curling protectively around her guiding her back to the vampires who were confusedly murmuring amongst themselves. They didn’t understand why Alice had given the command not to attack. It was obvious Aro wanted a war, so why weren’t they giving in?

Kitten slowly turned back where Caius had managed to get Aro back on his feet and they were staring in awe that she had the power to set fire to someone from the inside out. That was not something they ever knew she could do. She let her violet eyes stare forward into the cold dead red eyes of her “father”. He shook his head.

“You can continue to go after them and those behind me, but I was built for this. I was built for an army. I was built as a killing machine and that’s exactly what I am.” She spat out bitterly. “I can and will kill every single one of you who stand with Aro if you continue to try and go after the people I care for,” She warned looking directly towards her father. “Are you going to continue to send people out to get slaughtered by my hand?” Aro simply shook his head again looking at his “daughter” curiously

“You have betrayed us my dear daughter,” He stepped towards her and she let out a bitter laugh as she watched him.

“I have not betrayed you; I have taken away the power you are hungry for. I will not allow the slaughtering of innocent lives, human, hybrid, wolf, or vampire. I was built to keep you from stepping out of line. That is what I am doing; this is what I will always do.” Aro set his hand on her cheek but she shoved him back a little bit causing Caius and Jane to step forward.

“You must be punished for this!” Aro spoke in outrage and rose his hand and signaled something but very few people actually moved. In fact the only ones who had moved were Jane, Alec, Marcus, and Caius. The rest stayed eerily still not daring to make a movement. “You all betray me!?” he shouted in outrage.

“No father,” she spat. “They know the law; they know the difference between wrong and right. You are wrong,” She set her jaw as Jane and Alec both moved towards her as if they were going to attack. “I do not want to kill either of you, Princess is quite fond of you Jane,” But that didn’t seem to stop Jane’s pursuit on her.

“I will find much pleasure in destroying you,” Jane hissed causing Kitten to frown and shake her head. Kitten didn’t even give them time to get near her; she set off her screamers watching as they stumbled around until they were in her grasp and then set them ablaze. Aro watched in horror as two of his favorite guard were made such short notice of.

She should have been surprised when Aro and Caius both grabbed one of her arms like that was going to do anything and began to pull. She gripped Caius’ hair and allowed her screamers to invade his head while cutting off his sense of vision and smell. She bent him at an odd angle and snapped him apart like a twig before setting fire to him with her fingertips. All the while Aro was on her back like a rabid monkey pulling at her hair and her skin trying to get it to break but nothing he did was working.

She tore him off her back and threw him to the ground. She looked at him Kitten knew what she had to do. To save princess, Renesmee, the Cullen’s, and future hybrids and the wolves, she had to do this. She looked at him sadly. “I never wanted it to end this way,” She promised but all Aro did was spit in her face, she simply ripped his head from his shoulders and set him on fire. She backed up and watched him burn her eyes misty. So many feelings swimming around her head.

Kitten could hear the shocked murmuring. She’d killed Aro, what would they do now? Who would keep the law? Had that really just happened? “People,” She started as she stood up from the ground brushing the snow from her knees. “I have made a point today, the law will always rule,” She continued pursing her lips for a moment and looking at Marcus. She knew he was good and he had an understanding of the rules. “Marcus shall take Aro’s position in Italy. But Princess and I will be traveling and no wrong doing will go unpunished. You are to go home and resume life as you normally would only now there is a new Volturi, one that enforces the law. Not one that is power hungry,”

“It would be an honor to serve,” Marcus bowed to her and she smiled slightly because she really needed him on board with this. “My first mission is to rebuild the Volturi guard, “He reached over and set his hand on her shoulder with a smile that said ‘you did the right thing’

“You are no longer needed here,” Marcus nodded and with another simple hand signal everyone was retreating. Kitten slowly knelt down to where the fires she had set were dying out quickly. She ran her fingers through the snow her emotions finally beginning to catch up with her. She could hear mumbled cheering in the background but she didn’t feel very happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter is the End I believe.