Long Live the Kids

Chapter 4

Jenna’s POV
I was just having a conversation with my band mates and Rian when Zack reappeared. I had seen him talking to Alex and Jack, and Alex asking me about being single had made me kind of suspicious. I thought it be better to ask Zack about it now than to have to disappoint him later.

“Zack, can I talk to you?” I asked, looking at him.
He seemed a bit confused, but agreed anyway. I led him to the back lounge of the bus and sat down. I waited for him to sit down next to me before I start talking.

​​​“What are you, Alex and Jack up to?” I asked him.
“Huh?” he replied. “What are you talking about?”
“Come on, I saw you talking to the two of them, looking at me, and Alex wouldn’t ask if I have a girlfriend out of curiosity” I explained.
“Maybe he just wants to see some girls kissing?” Zack suggested awkwardly.
I raised my eyebrows and I figured he knew I didn’t buy it.

“Okay fine, they want to set us up” he admitted.
“Us as in you and me?” I asked, just to be sure.
Zack nodded “Yeah.”
“And do you want that too?” I asked him.
Zack was silent for a moment, probably figuring out what to say. “I don’t know” he replied. “I mean, no offense, I’m sure you’re great, but I don’t really know you.”
“None taken” I replied with a wink. “I’m sure you’re great as well.”
“But….?” he asked.

​​​“Well, I just got out of a long relationship like two months ago and I’m not sure I’m ready for another one” I explained.
“Well, who says we will be in one? But I don’t think there’s any harm in getting to know each other better. You seem cool” Zack said.

​​​“Good point. I am kinda cool, if I do say so myself. So why don’t you have a girlfriend?” I asked curiously.
“Same as you, my ex ended our two year relationship two months ago” Zack answered.
“Why?” I asked. “Just say it if you think I’m asking too many questions. I just like to get to know people and you don’t seem like the type that’ll tell me a lot about yourself if I don’t ask for it”

​​​“That’s probably true. It’s fine. The long distance thing was just getting too hard. We hardly saw each other. The other guys would see their girls at shows when they were in the same country or even continent while I would only see Megan when we were playing close to Maryland.” he explained.
“Yeah, long distance relationships are a bitch, I’ve been there. You try to see each other as much as possible but sometimes it just doesn’t work” I agree with him.
“Exactly. I loved her, I really did, and I’m pretty sure she loved me but sometimes that just isn’t enough” he said.

​​​“That’s another reason why we probably shouldn’t date though” I said laughing, causing Zack to raise his eyebrows in confusion. “I live in Australia.”
“Hmm good point, in that case we would definitely never see each other” Zack agreed.
“Exactly. So let’s just be friends for now. You can always text or call me if you’re feeling lonely at home though” I said, winking.

​​​“It would be nice to actually have a female friend for a change” Zack said.
“Aren’t you friends with the guys’ girlfriends?” I asked.
“Well yeah, but whenever we’re at home they’re too busy with their boyfriends and I’m not that close to them that I really talk to them about my problems” Zack explained.

​​​“Well, say hello to your new best friend!” I exclaimed enthusiastically. "Although I'm afraid time zones might make this friendship a bit more complicated."
​"We'll manage" Zack replied, winking.​​

Zack seemed like an interesting, but also very sweet guy. The only friends I had were my band mates, who were great, but as I spend most of the year with them, sometimes they really drove me crazy and I wouldn’t mind having more friends to talk to.

​​​​​I was very easy-going and could have fun with almost anyone, but I didn’t really make a lot of friends as I mostly saw those people once or twice in my life. But when I hear stories about the close group of friends All Time Low and their girlfriends form, it makes me wish I had that too. Zack seemed like someone I could get along with well, so why not try? Worst-case scenario, it didn’t work out, well, I could live with that: at least I would've tried.

Jack’s POV
Alex and I had seen Zack and Jenna go to the back lounge together and were waiting for them to return. It was taking quite some time.
“Should we go see if they’re okay?” Alex asked.
“Why wouldn’t they be?” I asked.
“I don’t know, I’m just impatient. Do you think they’re making out?” Alex asked.
I looked at him, and got up. “Let’s find out.”
Alex followed me to the back lounge, where – to our disappointment – Jenna and Zack were talking.

“And here we thought you were getting it on” Alex said, sounding disappointed.
“If you’re so desperate to get Zack a girlfriend, I’m not the person you’re looking for” Jenna answered.

​​​“You told her?” I asked Zack.
“Yeah, after she figured it out on her own because Alex was being so obvious” Zack said, rolling his eyes.
“Yeah that might not have been such a good idea” I told Alex, who shrugged in reply. “Anyway, why are you not the girl we’re looking for?”

​​​“I’m not really looking for anything serious right now” she answered.
“Zack can do uhm… not serious?” Alex said.
​"You mean casual?" Jenna asked wryly.
​"Yeah that's the word I was looking for!" Alex said nodding.​​​​

“Guys, will you stop? I can find myself a girlfriend if I want to” Zack protested.
“Are you sure about that?” I asked, tilting my head looking at Zack.
“Well, even you managed to find one Jack, so it shouldn’t be a problem for Zack” Jenna said teasingly.
​​“You’re mean” I said. “She’s mean Zack, don’t date her.”
“You’re weird” Zack said.

​​​“It’s been lovely hanging out with you dorks, but I think I’m gonna go to bed if you don’t mind” Jenna said.
“And what if I do mind?” I asked.
“Then that sucks for you” she replied, getting up. “Goodnight dorks… And Zack.”
“That’s offensive” I exclaimed.
“Oh you poor thing!” Jenna replied, before walking back to the front lounge, out of sight.

“So…?” I asked Zack curiously.
“What? She’s not ready for a relationship and I’m not sure I am either. For now we’ll just be friends. And could you not have mentioned she lived in fucking Australia knowing that the distance broke up my last relationship?” he asked.

​​​Alex shrugged. “Yeah, that might have been nice of us to do. I thought you knew though. You know, the accent?”
“I don’t recognize Australian accents.. And even if she does have an Australian accent, she could still live in the states” Zack disagreed.
“Or she could live in Australia” I said, causing Zack to give me a look.
“Anyway, I’m gonna go to bed as well” Zack said, getting up. “Goodnight.”
“Goodnight” Alex and I both replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the subscribers, means a lot! :)

​I promise this story won't be all Zack and Jenna but tbh I still need to come up with some story lines so if anyone has any ideas... ;)​​​​