Status: NaNoWriMo '13 - Complete

635798

Chapter 17

"And I'll never forgive myself for not being there to protect you."
-"Headstone" by Defeater


Instead of going to my barrack, I headed straight towards the mansion. Luckily the door was unlocked. All was quiet in the house. I tried my best not to make any noise as I ran up the stairs. I opened the door to Aalyshah and Abbey’s room slowly. I turned the lamp on before closing the door. Aalyshah stirred in her bed. I sat at her side.

“Aalyshah. Aalyshah, wake up.” I shook her.

She stretched her arms before opening her eyes.

“Aalyshah, Shlomo caught us. He caught Six and me. He’s going to report us. What do I do?” My quiet voice was shaking.

Aalyshah’s brown eyes widened. A small gasp was heard.

“Please, Aalyshah. Help me. I told Six he wouldn’t but that was only to comfort her. I know he’s going to report us. He’ll report us to Vater. Vater’s going to kill me.”

I received no response. Instead, Aalyshah sat up and threw her arms around me. I hugged her back, burying my face in her hair.

The blackbird’s whistles kept ringing in my ears.

* * * *


I woke up to the front door creaking its way open. I camped out on one of Jürgen’s couches for the night. Vater stood over me, confused.

“I was wondering where you were,” he said. “Why are you here?”

“Long story.” The sleep in my voice didn’t keep itself oblivious.

“Alright. Let’s get everybody up. You and I are taking the day off to spend time with the family. Change out of your uniform.”

“I don’t have any extra clothes. They’re all in my barrack.”

“You’re lucky I have some,” Vater said.

The beginning of the day went by smoothly. Jürgen made the family breakfast and left us alone so we could spend time together. Abbey was talkative as usual but Aalyshah still wouldn’t make a sound. She wouldn’t even make eye contact with Vater. When breakfast was over, she took all our dishes and cleaned them herself. The prisoners who worked for Jürgen started arriving. I looked around for 635798. She was nowhere in the mansion. My stomach dropped, falling to my toes.

At around eleven, a Kapos walked into the kitchen. He rushed over to me once we made eye contact. I gasped. Why wasn’t 635798 with him? I jumped up from the table and together we walked into the living room.

“Wolfgang, I can’t find Six. She wasn’t at roll call and she wasn’t in her barrack!” the Kapos exclaimed, his voice shaking.

Shit. “Did you check Buna?”

A nod.

“Nothing?”

“Nothing.”

I stomped my foot. “Goddamn it!”

The Kapos jumped back in surprise. “What?”

I shook my head. I couldn’t believe this was happening. 635798 was really in trouble. Shlomo actually did say something. What was I going to do? The room started to wobble and I had to sit down.

“Oh dear. Let’s go get you some water.” The Kapos guided me to the kitchen.

I was halfway done with my glass of water when the Kapos and I heard the front door open and close. Two or three pairs of feet made their way to what seemed like the dining room. The Kapos looked at me, wide-eyed. I put a finger to my lips.

“Herr Heilbronner! I have some interesting news!”

“Lenz,” I whispered.

The Kapos and I walked into the dining room. Both of us gasped. My parents, sisters, and Jürgen were in there but so were three others. Lenz was the only one in a Nazi uniform. The other two wore prisoner uniforms. The male was Shlomo. His arms were crossed and a smirk was plastered across his face. The female? 635798. Lenz held her tightly by the bicep, his hand wrapping around the entire circumference. A bruise was under 635798’s eye and her lip was bleeding. Tears stain covered her cheeks.

“What do we have here?” Vater asked, standing in front of 635798.

“Shlomo, here, found this prisoner out of her barrack after hours. She’s been escaping almost every night ever since he came here. Not only that, but she’s been seeing someone,” Lenz explained.

“Who?”

“A Nazi.”

It became so quiet that one could hear Aalyshah’s breath hitching. Jürgen twitched. I felt my heart drop as if I was riding a rollercoaster.

A glare formed on Vater’s face. “Which Nazi?” he asked through gritted teeth.

“It was difficult to make him out, sir,” Shlomo said.

Why was he lying?

Vater sucked in a deep breath. “Alright. We’ll find this Nazi later. For now, we’ll have to deal with this thing.”

635798 glanced over at me, her eyes pleading.

“Vater-” I began.

“Not now, Wolfgang,” he interrupted. He walked into the kitchen and came out with a metal stirring spoon. 635798’s eyes widened.

“Aalyshah. Abbey,” Vater said. “I suggest you two go upstairs.”

Abbey obliged, a frightened look on her face. She was at the doorway when Aalyshah spoke for the first time.

“What are you going to do to her?”

“Nothing that you need to see,” Vater said. “Now go.”

Aalyshah stood her ground.

Vater shrugged. “Fine. Suit yourself.”

Vater violently pulled 635798 out of Lenz’s arms and pushed her to the ground. The thud she created was loud. Abbey started to whimper. Vater raised the metal cooking spoon high. His arm was a blur as he threw it down, crashing it against 635798’s spine. A loud, piercing scream rang out through the dining room. Mutter’s eyes opened, frozen in place. Aalyshah and Abbey started to cry. Even Shlomo looked uneasy. Vater kept hitting 635798 with the spoon and her screams grew louder each time. Jürgen tried to come to her aid, but Lenz held him back. The Kapos and I stood frozen where we were. I heard Aalyshah calling out to me but it seemed so far away. My eyes followed the spoon as it kept punishing 635798. I ignored Abbey as she ran passed Vater and grabbed Aalyshah’s hand. I ignored Jürgen’s screams at my Vater. I ignored the Kapos shaking me. I ignored Mutter beseeching Father to stop. All I could pay attention to was the woman – who I promised would never get hurt – get beaten. I couldn’t move. I tried to run forward but I couldn’t. I attempted to yell but I was unable to do that too. I was paralyzed.

Aalyshah ran over to me, crying. “Wolfgang, do something. Please.

I didn’t do anything.

Vater finished his blows about two minutes later. By now Abbey was screaming in our trembling Mutter’s arms. 635798 was curled in a ball on the floor, silent. She was shaking, but I could see that she was trying to stop herself.

“Alright Lenz. You know where to take her,” Vater said.

Lenz pulled 635798 up. She had more tear stains. We made eye contact, but she quickly looked away.

“Bruno, please. Stop. What am I supposed to do without her work?” Jürgen asked, worried.

“Find another worthless Jew.” Vater turned to Shlomo. “Remind me to reward this one later.” Back to Lenz. “Go on Lenz. Don’t keep him waiting.”

Lenz violently pulled 635798 out of the dining room. I didn’t hear any cries. Once the door opened and closed, the dining room exploded.

“Bruno, how could you?”

“Papa! What’s happening?”

“Who’s going to be my cook now? I can’t find someone as good as her!”

“I have no one to bring to and from work anymore.”

“Vater, what is wrong with you?” Aalyshah screamed.

All was silent. We all watched Vater slowly turn around to face Aalyshah. His glare was so harsh that the tension it caused was almost unbearable. Aalyshah glared right back, unafraid.

“Excuse me?” Vater asked threateningly.

“You heard me the first time,” Aalyshah said. “What did she ever do to you, Vater?”

“Don’t start giving me bullshit on why she didn’t deserve it. She’s a fucking disgusting Jew. She deserved ever hit she received,” Vater spat. “Maybe even more.”

“What made Jews so bad? I just don’t understand. Does anyone else remember when we were once all humans? No matter what race or religion we were? Now Jews aren’t treated in such a way. They’re treated worse than animals! And let’s not forget the gypsies, mental, handicap, homosexuals, and Jehovah’s Witnesses! Don’t forget the Polish either.” Aalyshah’s face was slowly becoming red.

“That’s enough out of your mouth young lady.” Vater walked closer to her. I was about to rush in to protect my sister but it seemed like she had that under control.

“Weren’t you the one who always told us to love everyone, no matter what? Why did the war change your mind? Just because some dictator said that certain people were bad? You used to never listen to those ideals before. You even had Jewish friends. Now look at you. You’re just another one of Hitler’s puppets.”

Everyone’s mouth dropped, even Vaters’s. Aalyshah shoved passed him as she made her way out of the dining room. Her footsteps echoed up the stairs.

“I sense a fight coming,” I announced. “All you can sort that out. But I don’t want to be a part of it.”

I walked out of the dining room. Like I predicted, an argument broke out. I sighed. I leaned against the window and looked out. Aalyshah came back downstairs only seconds later. She wrapped her arms around me and buried her face in my chest. I rubbed her back while she cried.

What have I done? I had a gut feeling something horrible was going to happen and yet, I still told 635798 to meet me. Now look. The two of us were caught and 635798 was hurt. She was being taken somewhere that I was positive wasn’t safe. Lenz ratted us both out after promising he wouldn’t. For all I knew, 635798’s life was over.

Why didn’t I help her? Why did I just stand there in shock? She needed my help, but I was a coward and didn’t give it to her. I wouldn’t be surprised if she hated me for the rest of eternity. This was my fourth strike, and there were definitely no more chances after that. I really failed this time. 635798 was beaten because of me. She was being taken somewhere thanks to my cowardice.

What if she died because of me?
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUN!

What are your thoughts? Do you think Six will be alright or no?