Pregnancy: Life or Death?

Finding Out

It was what seemed like a normal day at the prison, everybody was going about their normal lives, well what was left of a normal life after the zombie outbreak started... and I was one of them. Recently I started to feel funny, and after about a week of getting sick I finally realized what was making me feel so funny..... I was pregnant. After finding out this, I started to feel uneasy, I knew during the last few months I was with only one guy... and I knew that he wasn't the type to show any emotions, and you didn't really want to bring a child into this dangerous world, but I didn't really have a choice.

After a while I was trying to hide my growing belly from the rest of the group, not really because I felt shame, but because I didn't know how the others would handle it. When I started to feel the baby move around and kick, I thought that now would be the time I'd approach the baby's father. After everybody calmed down for dinner, and everybody started to talk and laugh, I sat by myself and ate slowly because I knew what was going to happen... I glanced over at Daryl and quickly looked back when he turned his head to look at me. I didn't know how this was going to go over, but it had to be done.

After dinner, I walked over and cleaned my plate. I stood there and helped Carol collect everybody's plate to help wash dishes and like always Daryl was the last one to finish. After he put his plate down and mumbled something I excused myself and walked over and said "Hey Daryl, can I talk to you?" and he turned around and looked at me sternly and said "What do you want?" with a stern tone, and I walked over and said "Can we talk somewhere else, more private" and he was looking at I like I were crazy. I walked over to the fence and looked out at the walkers trying to get in and kind of choked up. I turned back and saw him standing there "Well... what do you want?" in his stern tone, I looked at him and twiddled my fingers and said ... "Well.. umm uh..." and he was getting impatient and I could see it in his eyes "Well... umm uh... well... you... remember..." "What? Spit it out. I ain't got time for 20 questions or charades!" and I finally got it out "Well.. umm uh... well... do you remember the night in the guard tower? When we were supposed to be on watch?" and Daryl looked at me with a puzzled look on his face ".... Why you bringing it up? For your information if you wanted it to happen tonight, it ain't gonna happen!" and I bit my lip and choked up and said "Well... no, actually no as fun as it was, no I don't expect it tonight or any other night" and he looked and said "Okay. So what you want to tell me I ain't got time to talk all night I gotta keep watch Hurry it Up" and I felt the baby kick right when he said that. I grabbed for his hand and he pulled it away and was like "What do you think you're doing?!" and I said "I just wanted to see your hand, it looked like you were bleeding" and he was said "Don't worry about it, I'm a tough guy, I don't need you taking care of me!" and he started to walk off and I grabbed his free hand and he turned back suddenly and was just about to yell at me when I said "Hold on!" and he stopped and I placed his hand on my stomach which I had tried to keep hidden. He looked at you and said "So what? You're just going to bring another child into this Hell on Earth like Lori did and what? What are you going to do with it?!" and I looked at him and with a stern tone said "I understand that you're not an emotional person, but this baby inside of me is your child! The least you could do is pretend to be happy, but you're so fucking scared and you know don't want to show emotion, but apparently you just want to be on your own, so you know what... GO! GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE! Maybe one day in this world gone to shit a real man will come along and be a dad to your son or daughter!

I started to walk off, and he grabbed my arm and I said in a harsh tone "Let go of me!" and I went to grab for my knife to make him back off, and he went and pinned me against the fence, and said "You know what? I am a real man! What happens if nobody comes along and you have to take care of this child by your own?! What happens than? You going to keep going and try to survive? On your own with a crying baby, with all these walkers and... and then what? You both get bitten or ate? Guess what? I do care! You may not fully understand, but yeah I do give a shit about you and this baby!" He let me go, right as soon as Rick and Hershel came out to say it was my time to keep watch. I looked at him and he looked at me and Rick looked at Hershel and they knew what was going on with you two. They heard the tail end of the argument. Daryl asked Hershel to check me out and make sure the baby was growing and everything. After Hershel said everything was going perfectly with my pregnancy, I went out to the guard tower where Daryl was and told him that the baby was healthy. After all the argument the rest of the night went by calmly. Daryl kept watch while I slept on the little scrap of mattress that was in the guard tower. I couldn't be more happier and scared at the same time....